Transferring Images While Abroad

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby PABadger » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:14 am

I have a Creative Zen Vision:M. THe 60 GB version has USB host so you can plug you camera in directly to transfer images (but this drains 2 batterys), or I bought a $15 little card reader that looks like a USB stick that I plug into the Zen to transfer the images. I have tested it at home and it works fine. I will be testing it out in Argentina and Peru starting next week!

I love my Creative player, it is my third one. They have really great sound quality (better than the iPod if you ask me), great color for videos if you want, and you can view the photos on it once you have transferred them.

Good luck finding something! If you do get the Creative be sure to spend a couple of extra bucks to get the wall charger (it only comes with the USB to charge it via computer). The creative one is ~ $20, but you can get ones on e-bay for ~$5.
PABadger
User Rank: Weekender

Postby PaulTeolis » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:56 pm

you can always use an iPod...
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Bosabum » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:56 pm

I have one of the Wolverine's that people have mentioned and also think it is great. I took the 60 GB model to Kenya and took over 3500 pictures in 8.3 MB raw and only used like a third of the space. It does play videos and music and will display raw photos so you can sort through them.

It connects to a pc with a USB and I'm sure you could connect your camera that way too, but it is much faster to just pop out your card and put it in the Wolverine. It reads about any type of card.

It was very reliable. I'm taking it to South America this Winter!
Bosabum

Hyberdirves are a good solution...

Postby adhunt67 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:59 pm

I recently bought a HyperDrive Colorspace with 160 gig harddrive. The Device is a little larger than an Ipod and is made specifically for transfering data files from digital camera. They make HyperDrives with 250 gig hard drive storage as well. You can check them out at http://www.hypershop.com/shop/index.php
Tony Hunt
(USA)
adhunt67
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby anonymoose » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:08 pm

I ended up buying a cheaper Wolverine 120 GB FlashPac, and it worked great. It had more than enough space for all my photos. I used it at least once per day and had to recharge it probably 2-3 times within a 2 week period.
anonymoose

Postby woraini » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:13 am

I brought a 60GB Wolverine Flashpac (link) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367686-REG/Wolverine_7060_60GB_FlashPac_7000_7_in_1.html to a trip to Asia this summer. I was in Asia for about a month, some days shooting over 200+ RAW images on a Canon XTi. Overall, it worked very well when my compact flash was full. However I had to have it charging while it was transferring the images a few times.

The only real disadvantage to this was there was no preview button to check the images that I loaded..so you won't know if there were any errors in the transfer causing corrupted images and whatnot.

I didn't have any corrupted images though, had plenty of room for more images after the month and returned home, and extremely glad I brought it.
woraini

Postby anonymoose » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 pm

woraini wrote:The only real disadvantage to this was there was no preview button to check the images that I loaded..so you won't know if there were any errors in the transfer causing corrupted images and whatnot.

Very true - that was something that I worried about as well. In fact one time the battery died before I finished transferring one card (I waited too long to recharge the battery), so after I recharged it I uploaded the memory card again just in case. The files were fine - even the file that didn't finish was ok except for the one photo that was interrupted.

Ideally I would have preferred buying one of the Epsons with their preview screen, but I needed all my money for my trip!
anonymoose

Postby thetravelingbee » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:35 pm

While I'm traveling, I'll always upload my pics to Flickr as a backup, but I'll mark them as "private" until I can get home and go through them more properly. I'll also take select photos and post them with the blog that I'm keeping while on my trip. I never clear off my memory cards until I get home just in case something didn't upload correctly or was corrupted somehow.
thetravelingbee

Previous

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs