Transferring Images While Abroad

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Transferring Images While Abroad

Postby cjs123 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:06 am

Anyone have experience with transferring images from a digital camera to their home PC while they are travelling? Or using a portable hard drive?
cjs123
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby roofie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:41 pm

try using gigasize or gmail. but be aware that the upload speeds can be quite restricted.
roofie
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby GregWTravels » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:07 pm

I've done two things before:
(1) Burn it. Put it on a CD. It's easy to carry, and if you are on the road for a long time, you can just mail the CD back home (though I would keep a copy with myself until it was confirmed that they got the CD back at home.

(2) Upload it to a photo site.

Greg
GregWTravels
User Rank: Traveller

Postby seth0919 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:12 pm

I personally use a 20 GIG portable hard drive with a PCMCIA memory card reader....I never run out "memory" for all 3 of my digital camera.

This avoids having to buy PC time at a cafe or waiting while large size files (or huge amounts 500+ meg upload).

if you want additional info/specifics let me know.
seth0919

Postby Photobits » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Wolverine makes portable hard drives that directly read and backup memory cards. They're fairly popular with photographers. http://www.wolverinedata.com They sometimes also have their drives online at costco.

When I went to Peru a friend of mine brought along their FlashPac and was happy with it. I had my 4 gig card burned onto a DVD at a small shop in Cusco. Lots of shops were ready to burn onto CDs -- a little harder to find a shop burning DVDs. I've since bought one of the wolverine drives and it's been working out quite well.
Photobits

Postby richardh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:06 pm

I have used the Epson portable drive...I find it really easy and with a nice screen to view the pics. Before I purchased that I have just taken a bunch of memory cards all 1GB, they are really cheap now. Keeping them in all different places makes sure that you cannot loose all of your pics.

Also mailing CD's home has been a life saver
Hey check out some of my travel pics and let me know what you think:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richiheller/
richardh
User Rank: Weekender

Postby mim95 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:46 pm

I have a 40gb portable hard drive with built in memory card slots. It's fairly basic, just two buttons: power and copy, and it shows when the copying is completed. No fancy LCD screen with photo display. If you are traveling for a long time, it is a good investment. Otherwise, get a larger capacity memory card or simply burn your photos on cds in internet cafes.
mim95

WOLVERINE FLASHPAC - 60GB

Postby deanb » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:33 pm

I bought one of these. They are very reliable and I have had no problems so far. Just make sure to keep the charge topped up.
http://blackphotostore.com/english/prod ... p?sku=7324
Go with the 60 it is a bit more cash but it has 20 more GB than the other
This
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=60068907
would be the ultimate! It even displays RAW files. But look at that price. I'd rather spend that cash on a trip.
deanb

Postby L810th » Sat May 05, 2007 11:32 am

I took the VP8350 version of this Portable Storage device with me on my RTW trip last year before the larger capacity models arrived.
Vosonic
These are the essential specs: Large screen with zoom mode- Raw file handling- fast transfer speed- long lasting re-chargable battery-Re-liable- multi-format cards.
I found this model to have all these and much, much more uses. You can have your music collection on board also. I tried the DVD/CD idea, but time is precious when you are on the road and I backed up the contents to DVD when I had the time to do it.
I also heard stories of travellers uploading to storage sites on the net. Once such site lost all their images and were not accountable for doing so. Even the best cards will fail at some time and if you are using a microdrive, remember that they will crash at high altitudes from lack of air (10000ft) approx.
Mike.
L810th

Postby Reditor » Wed May 16, 2007 10:51 am

I used to use my Video iPod to trasnfer photos and videos on, until it got fried. Luckily I saved over 3000 photos on it, but my lesson learned was to have a backup. From now on I will burn to a DVD or CD whenever possible, even if I have a portable hard drive, iPod or other storage device.

From experience I don't recommend the iPod for photo storage, it was too slow and drains the battery if you have memory cards greater than 1GB in size. The portable storage solutions mentioned by others in this thread seem to be better options.

If you have lots of extra $$ and want something fancy with a nice big colour screen, which play videos, photos and music then visit the Archos website.
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby saridder » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 pm

How did you transfer your files to the video ipod? Was there a PC involved or did you figure out how to transfer directly from camera? I'm going away for a month and need to figure all this out. I'm tempted to just bring a laptop and figure out how to charge it as I like seeing my photos each night to give myself feedback on how to shoot the next day. A laptop seems impractical, bulky and not suited for my trip to Africa though :(
saridder

Postby PaulTeolis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:34 pm

there are all kinds of devices out there.
There is a camera memory card attachment for the iPod. And many types of digital wallets and they can be pricey based on storage and display screen.

I use the Epson P-2000. It's a fanastic piece of technology and for me is
my in the field device when I just want to talk my camera and will be raoming around shooting all day. It holds 40 gigs and will display RAW
images.

there is always something out there to work within your budget whether high end or low.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Reditor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:00 am

Hey saridder,
I just used the iPod "camera connector". it plugs into the dock end of the iPod and the other end is a USB. So the standard camera cables that came with both my cameras would connect no problem.

(Connect one end to camera, one end to iPod, transfer and done! It was a bit SLOW, but did the job.)

The Epson item Paul mentions is more hardcore for photo enthusiasts, but does a great job as to other ones from Archos, etc. Some of them let you plug your memory card in directly....I would prefer this next time, as it won't drain the camera battery.

If you plan on taking LOTS of photos, I would suggest doing something other than the iPod "camera connector", but if it's a quick trip where power won't be a problem, go for it.

Cheers!
Reditor

Postby BC_GROWN » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:35 pm

I think i may get this..... http://www.shoparchos.com/product.aspx? ... ture=en-US

i wanted one sometime ago but got a sony mp3 player.. (what crap)
This way i can have my mp3/dvds/ and load all my shots from the digital onto this and then only buy 2 cards.....
BC_GROWN

hmm..time has passed

Postby Ildi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:46 am

Since reading this, I've noticed some of the products mentioned have been discontinued (archos). I need to make a decision and I can't do it on my own! I'm looking for an external hard drive to upload my photos directly from the camera...BUT something i can use as an mp3 player and perhaps videos..

can anyone suggest a product? other than what was mentioned...and not discontinued (i was sad, some of them looked awsome)..

help please...i need to purchase asap!

:)
Work to live, don't live to work.
Ildi

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs