Where did you find your little bit of paradise?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Where did you find your little bit of paradise?

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 am

I was just wondering how many others have found a secret and delightful place off the beaten track that hasn't been discovered by other travellers just yet.

We found this beach side place deep down on the South West coast of India that was just totally delightful.
We had to walk over a small mountain to get to it as there are no roads. We also had to take and make our own sleeping arrangements, namely a hammock and a sleeping bag. On the way over the mountain we met an Indian Sadhu that we stopped to chat to.
When we arrived there were a handful of Indian families living simply, one of which we befriended that let us put our hammocks up in their 'backyard' for a small charge and there were 3 or 4 small wooden huts serving very cheap vegan food. Water for bathing was pulled by yourself from a well and toilet was a hole dug by your self in the forest beyond. There was no electricity. Real back to basics stuff, but its funny how content and happy you can be.
There were a handful of western hippies resident, who had got 'lost' here since the 70's who had well overstayed their visas (and passports!) who built a fire on the beach at night and we sang while they strummed guitar under the stars.

It was peaceful paradise for the week or so that we decided to stay there, away from the rigours of the rest of manic India. And below is a pic of me as we go over the mountain towards it.

Where did you find your little bit of unspoilt paradise?

Last edited by Zuleika on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Where did you find your little bit of paradise?

Postby jimshu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 pm

How did you find a place like that in India? Where are the millions of people? And where's all the rubbish?
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 pm

LOL - I know what you mean Jim!
Sadly I think it might have been discovered by now as its over 10 years since I was there, but I hope it hasn't been too ruined, probably a road and hotel on it by now!
Undiscovered beaches like these exist all up and down the coast of India if you have the time to spend exploring off the beaten track. They have literally miles and miles of coastline! India is however exploiting them to the max for tourism which is a shame but I can kinda understand why.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby TravelFun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

I was the only tourist here which was so peaceful and calming...after a 5 week group trip I was in Ecuador and decided to go off by myself and a friend who had been here highly recommended going to see Lago Quilotoa, a volcanic crater filled by a lake. A bus ride and taxi ride from Latacunga you get to Quilotoa...slightly off the beaten track even though mentioned in guidebooks:
Attachments
1323739163_357571dbb0.jpg
Lago Quilotoa, Ecuador
1323739163_357571dbb0.jpg (115.72 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 am

Two different places come to mind.

The first was a sheep ranch on the Bay of Islands in New Zealand back in 1982. A friend of my grandfather's owned it and let us use it to celebrate my grandparents' 50th anniversary. The hillsides were lush with thick green grass and the beach was literally littered with thin-shelled short-neck clams -- so many of them that we used them as fish bait! Fishing was almost too easy although I snapped my pole while pulling in a huge john dory. The sad part was that we didn't know it was a good eating fish so I threw it back in! The pier had oysters growing within easy reach and got routine visits from the Cream Ferry. Sadly, I think the ranch was sold for a housing development so more people are probably enjoying the bay but I doubt they have the same peace and solitude we enjoyed.

The second was the island of Lana`i about 25 years ago. Back then, there was only one hotel on the island -- a lovely Victorian design house near the middle of Lanai Town. My dad had contacts within Dole so we were able to rent an old plantation house, not terribly luxurious but incredibly quiet and peaceful. At that time, half of Lanai was owned by Dole Pineapple and almost everyone on the island worked for Dole so they had few other visitors. During the day we walked through the Garden of the Gods or down to Manele Bay which had crystal clear waters for snorkeling and amazing tidal pools. The bay has since been developed into a luxury Four Seasons resort -- I am sad that future Hawaiians won't know the tranquil paradise that Lana`i once was.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:38 pm

TravelFun wrote:I was the only tourist here which was so peaceful and calming...after a 5 week group trip I was in Ecuador and decided to go off by myself and a friend who had been here highly recommended going to see Lago Quilotoa, a volcanic crater filled by a lake. A bus ride and taxi ride from Latacunga you get to Quiloto...slightly off the beaten track even though mentioned in guidebooks:

Wow! Thanks for giving me another place in Ecuador to add to the list...
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby Reditor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am

Hmmm. Lots of places come to mind for me. Not so much secret, just not where lots of people go.

Andringitra National Park in Madagascar...we only saw 1 other tourist in the entire park. Huge park at 31000sq km. Saw more lemurs than humans!

Bundala National Park in Sri Lanka. A morning game drive to see elephants, crocodiles, birds, lizards and more. Had to wake up the park guard as we were the only people there. Didn't see any other safari vehicles until we left the park 5 hours later.

Oh, and this uninhabited island in the Vaavu Atoll, Maldives was pretty sweet too.
:D
Attachments
rsz_2imgp0910-vaavuatoll-nearvashugiri.jpg
rsz_2imgp0910-vaavuatoll-nearvashugiri.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor

Postby dreaded_luggage » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:31 am

A certain waterfall. I'm not saying where. :p

Also a cafe in an alley in Hoi An, Vietnam. She doesn't work there any more, having moved to their other location above flood level, so that's out-of-date information.

My personal recommendation for finding wonderful places off the tourist tracks is to ditch the tourists. Best pizzas ever? Side-street behind the tourist-heavy waterfront in a little place in Corsica, visited by locals and, ah, me. Fantastic dinner in Vietnam? Everywhere! One example of such: er ... somewhere. A local gave the taxi driver the directions, and he stopped the meter and joined us for dinner! Great food in a friendly and affordable hotel in "God's Own Country" aka the Yorkshire Dales? The Bridge, Grinton. It's got a "dogs and muddy boots welcome" sign on the door and more vegetarian options than some whole small towns. Awesome motorbike route in the Pyrenees? I'm not entirely sure, because I was a bit lost at the time, but I was going mostly east and finished up somewhere near Soldeu. *shrug* Getting lost can be great, as long as you have a full tank. Lovely Austrian village? It happened to be there when I climbed up from the river to the road somewhere in Vorarlberg.

Oh, I've got one. Kaiserjoch, top of Kaisertal. Getting there from Steeg, you hike up a switch-back through the trees and then go through a road tunnel, because the bottom of Kaisertal is kind of narrow and abrupt. Then the valley opens out and you can get off the road and hike tracks up beside or well above the river. Eventually, you leave the farmland behind and come to ice-cold water flowing over strewn rocks, and a sign saying the old footpath is closed due to danger of death and directing you to the new footpath, which climbs the valley side on steps and tiny bridges before crossing a larger footbridge over a waterfall to join the old footpath above the place where a mountain fell on it. They weren't kidding about the Lebensgefahr there. Above that, there's something a lot like a Lake District fell before you reach the pass with its hut that would have been serving food and drink if I'd got there 30 days earlier but was shut for the winter. A very difficult path goes along the ridge, there's a big cross on a rock south of the ridge, apparently because risking your life to put the thing up makes it an even bigger show of dedication, the north side of the Arlberg valley drops away below you, with forest further down, and there are incredible views across it into glacier-filled mountain bowls and over snow-covered peaks. As there's no road, I suspect it's for real walkers only even in summer when the hut's open. In October, it's a pleasant walk up but chilly on top. Nearest other animal was a cricket a couple of hundred metres down the south side.
dreaded_luggage
User Rank: Traveller

Postby charlotte1510 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 pm

for me it was Koh Lanta, I loved it here.

So laid back, so chilled, so peaceful and gorgeous deserted beaches and beautiful views. I keep telling everyone I meet to make sure they go.
charlotte1510

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs