Pics from Utah/Az and more.

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Pics from Utah/Az and more.

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Some photos I took on a recent trip the desert southwest of the US, southern Utah and northern Arizona: here.

There's also a few pictures from Angkor on my photostream for anybody who is interested, taken back in August. Comments/criticisms/questions all welcome!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Re: Pics from Utah/Az and more.

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 am

Wow! Truely stunning photos! What lenses did you take with you? I'm guessing some of those photos had some HDR done on them. Is that so?
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 pm

thecakeisalie wrote:Some photos I took on a recent trip the desert southwest of the US, southern Utah and northern Arizona: here.

Awesome pics, I have my Wave hiking permit for March, can't wait! Thanks for the tip in another post about the perilous left-hand turn onto the road, we'll be careful!

Cheers!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Which one(s) are you going to blow up and frame?
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:56 pm

DanielBMe wrote:Wow! Truely stunning photos! What lenses did you take with you? I'm guessing some of those photos had some HDR done on them. Is that so?

Thanks all for the compliments!

Good eye, Daniel. I've been messing around with HDR for over a year now, and have been getting into post processing techniques more and more in order to improve my photos (color corrections, spot removal, masking, sharpening, etc.). I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm trying to get a little more "wow" factor without making them look too over top. Of course, there's a few non-HDR ones in there as well, like the black and whites and the night exposures at Bryce, but most of what I post to that Flickr account has received some treatment.

For the lenses I used a 10-22mm and a 28-135mm. My camera is a Canon Rebel XT which has a crop factor of 1.6X on the sensor, so the widest I've got is effectively 16mm. I also carry around a 70-300mm most of the time, but didn't use it at all on this trip.

Judy, I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm leaning toward the one I titled "Wave Spectrum" and possibly one from the Zion Narrows that I didn't post online. The rest will end up in a photo book, much cheaper than blowing them up large! :wink:
thecakeisalie

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Judy, I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm leaning toward the one I titled "Wave Spectrum" and possibly one from the Zion Narrows that I didn't post online. The rest will end up in a photo book, much cheaper than blowing them up large! :wink:

Of those you have posted, I'd have a hard time deciding between "Wave Spectrum" and "The Wave." Both give me that great feeling I get in Southern Utah.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby graybeard » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey Cake....,

Some great pics. Even though I recognized from experience a number of the places, somehow your pics made them look better than I remembered. Which either means I need to go back, or my non-YOLO brain is failing faster than I thought. :roll:
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 pm

graybeard wrote:Hey Cake....,

Some great pics. Even though I recognized from experience a number of the places, somehow your pics made them look better than I remembered. Which either means I need to go back, or my non-YOLO brain is failing faster than I thought. :roll:

You definitely need to go back. I was just there 4 months ago and I already am trying to plan a trip back! And don't discount memory loss... you're always meeting new people and seeing new places. :P
thecakeisalie

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs