Travelling to research your ancestry.

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travelling to research your ancestry.

Postby jimshu » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Anyone else travelled to discover more about their ancesters?
Where they came from? How they lived? What factors caused them to leave their homeland and emigrate to another , often inhospitable country?
Just wondering as we've been right through the heartland of Scotland and it adds a whole new dimension to travel, retracing our family line, the battles they fought in, the lives they lived, the Highland Clearances, and what compelled a young uneducated newly married couple to jump on a sailing ship, risk 3 months at sea, to travel to a raw, undeveloped country where 'savages' still wore flax skirts and cooked up their captives.
Fascinating.And I'm beginning to understand more about myself.
What's your family history, and will you make that journey back 'home'?
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Re: Travelling to research your ancestry.

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 pm

My ancestry is also Scottish. My Dad had to coerce and bribe right down to the last of us four kids to finally get a piper in the family, my younger sister. I opted for drums and met/married my husband while we were in a pipe band. We travelled to Scotland twice with the band, not so much for family history but we did a little of that along the way in between competitions, massed bands, and the beer tent :wink:
I feel adventurous when I travel to a third-world country yet you're right, Jim, our relatives got off a ship in a place where they not only weren't welcomed, they were actively hunted! Where does that kind of courage come from? Or, did they not realise the danger? It really is interesting to delve into their lives. Maybe today we analyse things far too much. Back then there weren't the resources to investigate an issue so perhaps the decisions were made more on a feeling and less on facts!
We'll definitely make another trip to Scotland.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby 2loula » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am

I suppose I see this from the other direction. I am Scottish, and for a couple of years now my mum has been researching her family tree. She discovered that many of her grandparents siblings left for North America and New Zealand. She has since found cousins in Washington State, Chicago and NZ, all of whom who were also researching their ancestory. A number of them were so excited to have a link with the country that a number of them visited Scotland, finding streets where houses had once been and the ship yards where the ships left for the New World.

So, its in a much different sense that I see the benefits of travelling and discovering your family roots. I have lived here all my life, and have always known that my family originated from this tiny island, but through the research, we have all these relatives spread throughout the world, new friends and family to visit.

Plus, I am very glad that you both enjoyed Scotland....hopefully it didn't rain too much :)
2loula
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 pm

No worries about the rain, 2loula. It only rained when it was needed for brooding atmosphere...Glencoe, Culloden Moor, the highlands. We could practically see and hear the men fighting in the mist! Other than that it was sunny and beautiful.

One of my most goose-bumpy moments ever was hearing the first notes of the lone piper playing on the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle during the tattoo. I still get chills and it was many years ago. Absolutely a favourite memory!
IncaTrail50

Postby jimshu » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:33 am

Find an old Pictish stone circle,shed your clothes,dance around naked, imploring the powers of the sun to shine through wherever you go and Old Sol will shine on you wherever you go!
:lol:
Yeah,Culloden Moor.....eerie place.But strangely quiet as far as the spirits go.I guess ,being so long ago,they've long departed or at rest.But having two school groups on the field at the same time may have helped swamp any spirits there.They certainly made more noise than a battery of field guns or mad Highlanders in full charge ,sadly.
There's a guy down at theClansman centre at Fort Augustus, puts on a wee show for the tour groups, about Highland life prior to 1746, and he helped explain about the 75 metres of tartan worn as the kilt,life in the times,and demonstrates the weaponry.I found that really worthwhile.

But there's many more of you members who have ancestry in another country,so are you ever going to explore their birth country?
And if you have,how did you nfeel about it?
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby Endless Journey » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 am

I travelled to Africa, but found little resemblance with the locals, as a few thousand years had passed! :)
Endless Journey
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Endless Journey » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 pm

^ didn't mean to kill a good topic with some silly humour

In my family a migration was part of every generation in recent history, so where to draw the line?

Even, my father, mother and myself were born in 3 different countries, and now we've been living in Canada for decades and consider it the only home

If I travelled for the research, it would be an endless journey :)
Endless Journey

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Endless Journey wrote:
If I travelled for the research, it would be an endless journey :)

Nice one!
IncaTrail50

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm

My sister has been working on our family genealogy. Roots are Scotland, England and France. It will certainly add interest for me if and when I ever get to make it to Europe.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby jimshu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 am

A few 1,000 years have passed....I love that comment!
In fact since they reckon we all descended from ancestors in Ethiopia, how come we need visas to get back in? :D
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs