I should have bought more

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

I should have bought more

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 am

As I dig into my last tin of Africafe instant coffee from my travels last year, I think back wish I'd bought more. 4500 Tsh (about $3 USD) for 100g tin versus $10 USD plus shipping to get it online and it's been so incredibly useful for camping and being in an office with no other coffee drinkers.

I'd love to find a local source for the "Tennis Biscuits" I bought back in Africa. One of the guides served them to us as a snack for afternoon tea while on a game drive and they were (in the words of our British cohorts) "brilliant".

The gyros here in the US are good although mostly a lamb-beef sausage mixture (and I think few of the vendors are actually Greek). The gyros I got in Greece were pork, freshly roasted and sliced from the huge slabs of meat turning on the spit -- really incomparable to what I get at the local "Greek" restaurant or even festival.

It's a bit silly but I also miss the Anchor butter and a chocolate-dipped/drizzled shortbread cookie that we had in New Zealand (way too many years ago). I can't quite place what it was -- maybe it was just being overseas -- but there was something about Anchor butter that I just don't get from Land O'Lakes or the other US sources.

What item(s) do you miss from your travels? What item (food or otherwise) do you yearn to return to country X for?
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: I should have bought more

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Good topic.

Nanaimo bars from Canada. Street tacos in Mexico. Real Texas BBQ. Coffee and chocolate from Ecuador. Sour dough bread from San Francisco. Mexican flan.

And mallow cups from my childhood. (Childhood is like a country that you can never return to.)
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby TravelFun » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Ooooh, could be here forever but the most memorable ones are:

1. Coffee in Sciliy and Colombia...it stayed hot for a long time and was the best coffee I've drunk.
2. Ahhhh Frappe in Greece...only the Greeks perfect this one. Mind you totally agree about the Gyros but then there's the tzatziki, greek salad, mousakka...OK, Greek cuisine in Greece :P
3. Dulce de Leche ice-cream in Buenos Aires, yummmmm - I get the Haagen Daaz tub version but a far cry from the original...but I try!
4. Chocolate Mint ice-cream in Rome and Venice...unbeatable and won't even try to find it back at home!
5. Hot chocolate with a pain au raisin from Angelina Tea Room and Cafe in Paris :wink:

This is getting me hungry....but I do have Anchor butter in my fridge :wink: :lol:
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby sinecure » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

There was a woman that made in my opinion the best Pad Thai in the world!

If I could go back, find her, move her to my town and make me pad thai that would be awesome!
sinecure

Postby ballu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Gelato from Italy.....mmmm.....
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 pm

The best gelato I ever had was in Firenze, second best was in Nauplion. The shopkeeper there knew exactly what gelato shop I meant when I told him that was the only place I'd been to that had better than his ... and he was PLEASED ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby chardonais » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Any and all of the food in India! I had never had Indian food before and was quite nervous that I would be starving for the next 3 weeks, and then I had the chicken masala with some stuffed naan and I was hooked. There were times when I wanted to hurry up and leave some of the most beautiful buildings I had ever seen, just to go eat!

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby shawnalee_baker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 pm

mmm those gyros in greece. I have found the same problem as explorer. In canada a gyros is a beef and lamb mixture. just not the same.

Beer in Germany, scotch in Scotland, Wine in italy. Hmm seeing a pattern here.
shawnalee_baker
User Rank: Traveller

Postby owena » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 am

Sitting her with mouth watering! Some of mine are...

Coffee and beignets in New Orleans - not sure I really liked the bitter coffee but it all went so well together - maybe it was the atmosphere and street enterrainers that made it so memortable - actually maybe it was the Hurricanes we had the night before!!

Kleftiko in Bellapias and the 'Full Kebab' in Niazi's restaurant in Kyrenia Northern Cyprus - haven't had any in Greece to beat either

Tim Tam 'shots' in the Australian Outback - bite corners off the Tim Tam and suck your coffee up the biscuit - messy but fantastic. We can get Tim Tams in the UK now but it's not the same

ExplorerWannaBe - haven't had Anchor butter in NZ yet (going there next year and can't wait) but we have it regularly in the UK - easily available on all supermarket shelves and was probably the only butter that I remember from childhood - will think of you when I buy it again
owena
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Pozole in Mexico, my friend's sister made it the best. Also the beignets and coffee in New Orleans. Fish and chips that I had in Scotland years ago, lightly breaded and not battered like they always are now. Arctic char and caribou medallions in Iqaluit, Canada - only available if the restaurant's hunter had been successful! Also the wings on wing night at the Frobisher Inn in Iqaluit. It didn't matter what you ordered, they handed you a plate of wings and if you said it wasn't what you ordered the server would look at you very puzzled and say "It must be what you ordered, the chef only prepares what you request". You have to love that philosophy! You could run a tab for the drinks but never the wings, they were paid for before you ever saw them!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby adji » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Thai peanuts are by far the best I have ever had. They are salty and oily and fantastic!
Nan and paneer in India.
Patties at Devon House in Kingston Jamaica.
adji

Postby onyx007 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 am

1. Iced Chocolate in Perth / Australia in Dome Café
2. Hocky Pocky (or what ever it's called) Icecream in New Zealand
3. the (really devlish) hot Hot Pot in Chengdu / Szechuan / China
4. all the curries in India
5. Tim Horton Coffee from Canada

Yeah, that's about the things I miss the most from my journeys. The only thing which you really can buy and bring home of them is the coffee of Tim Horton, which I have to remember when I come over next summer.
onyx007

Postby nikimarcotte » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:05 pm

oh where to start....

1. Cornish Pasty from Padstow, England...soooooo good.
2. Pizza, carbonara pasta,gelato and murano glass from Italy
3. Gyros from Greece...this is seeming to be the unanimous one
4. Carpets, apple tea and mixed pancakes from Turkey
5. Shwarmas from Egypt
6. street empanadas, quesadillas and fresh guacamole from Mexico..we just don't have the exact same cheeses and veggies here in chilly canada..just never tastes the same.
7. custom-made clothes and footwear from Hoi'an, Vietnam
8. opals and aboriginal art from Australia...somehow after a year there, i never acquired either and have regretted it for a decade, guess i will just have to go back some day :)

..and this from a gal who now buys as much as i can possibly carry...starting with as little in my bags as possible to make lots of space for all the treasures i find along the way...but the food is always a limiting prospect...so i try to acquire recipes if i can, but so many times, ingredients are just not available..and substitutions are just not the same.
nikimarcotte

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs