How was your flight?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: How was your flight?

Postby gypsy75 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm

My best flight was with JET airways to India. In flight entertainment was the nest I had seen, and had mood lighting, and lemongrass scent coming though the vents, the food was incredible and seemed like they came by every 2 hrs to serve a meal or a snack. Flight attendants were extremely professional
gypsy75
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby markmol » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:52 pm

I have just returned form America to Australia & used Hawaiian Airlines, very friendly staff, in flight entertainment in the back of every seat & good food.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am

I had very pleasant flights on South African Airways between Jo'burg and Windhoek. I was NOT impressed with my Lufthansa flight between Denver and Frankfurt as the seats seemed hard as plywood (and almost as comfortable).

Had an issue with one jerk on the Lufthansa flight from Jo'burg to Frankfurt. I was in a middle seat and wanted to swap to the empty aisle seat next to his window seat as I was having some gastro-intestinal issues. Guy got belligerent about it, seemed to feel he was entitled to occupy both seats despite the move being okayed by the flight attendants. I don't blame the flight attendants for not wanting to get into the middle of it and they were very nice about finding me a seat with easy access to the lavatories in the back of the aircraft but boy, what a self-entitled jerk ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Janice08 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:36 pm

It started out too good to be true - a rare midday Air Canada flight out of Calgary to Nicaragua with a layover in Houston and change to United Airlines. Didn't have to leave for the airport until 9:30 in the morning. Got to the airport. Breezed through check-in, no lines at US immigration and customs, 4 people at the security check-in. Got on the plane and it pulled away from the gate on time. Off to de-icing and there ended the great day and the start of adventure. A warning light came on. They couldn't fix the problem so after an hour back at the gate to unload. Problem - no one in the building would answer the phone to open the gate. Finally got off. They gave us meal vouchers and said meet back in an hour and we'll tell you what we're doing. Spend part of the time emailing our ride at the other end saying that despite allowing 3 hours for a connection in Houston, we wouldn't make it. When we came back Air Canada had found another plane but it wasn't big enough. We volunteered, with a $200 incentive, to catch a later plane. We arrived in Houston at 11:30 at night, with no onward flight scheduled. There were still passengers from the flight we volunteered to miss waiting for their arrangements to be completed for onward travel. Managed to get plans for the morning, gave Air Canada credit for booking us on the "competition" American Airlines instead of United like we had been scheduled seeing as United didn't have any flights until afternoon. Our new flight was for 6:00 a.m. via Miami. They gave us a hotel voucher for at the airport and said take the shuttle. By this time it is past 12:30 and the shuttles/trains don't run. We had no idea where our luggage was so we ended up walking through the tunnel. Checked in about 1:00 a.m. Were given a voucher for breakfast at the hotel that reception was kind to inform us started at 6:00 a.m., we had been told to be back at terminal A at 5:00 a.m. McDonalds here we come. When we checked in at AA we asked about our bags - he looked on the computer and said we didn't have any luggage! Said to check at Managua at American and at United when we got there. The two AA flights were unremarkable except for leaving Miami 1 hour 15 minutes behind schedule because someone forgot to do the maintenance checks the night before. Arrived in Mangua only 14 hours behind schedule. Our bags flew United and arrived in Leon where we were staying, the following evening, in time for us to pack for our overnight volcano trekk the following morning.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad

Postby johnedward » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Last year I had my flight from San Francisco and really the inner service which they had given to me is not so good. I generally travel from country to country for business purposes in different airlines but never found any good results regarding the services like food, comfort and many other things in airlines.
johnedward

Postby nytim » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 am

I used China Eastern to fly to JFK to Bangkok. Awful experience. Very cramped, inedible food, no entertainment, one drink. The plane was so old it still had ashtrays in the seats. People smoked in the bathrooms and the transit at Shanghai took forever. Even though we paid only $750 round trip and the next cheapest was $1,200 I would never fly them long haul ever again.
nytim

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Last August I had a good flight with Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg South Africa. It was a long 16hr flight but went very well. Good service, food, and entertainment.

Also had a fantastic flight with Jet Airways the previous year heading to India. So far Jet has been the best airline I've flown on.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby nytim » Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 am

Over Xmas, my two adult sons and I flew to Bangkok from NYC with China Eastern Airlines. The check in was chaos - not enough staff to handle the crowd. The plane was so old it still had ashtrays in the seats. Everyone has had bad airplane food. Imagine bad Chinese airplane food. It was unrecognizable as food. One meal, one drink that was it for a 14 hour flight to Shanghai. People disconnected the smoke detectors in the bathrooms. i complained but it turned out that the staff were part of the smoking cabal. We had to transit at Pudong. More chaos as only one person was handling the transit. Once on the plane to Bangkok, we got a drink and a meal and it was a newer plane. Agony, they did not have immigration forms on the plane. At 2 am at BKK, we had to find the forms, fill them in and stand on a huge line -- as all the other cheap flights were landing. The flight was only $750 but I would never fly them again. I am going to Bangkok in December with Korean Air, they are great -- my flight is $1230 but it will be money well spent.
nytim

Previous

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs