How was your flight?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How was your flight?

Postby sinecure » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:20 pm

I'd like to hear some feedback on your latest flight. Was the in flight meal a culinary master piece or did you feel like a sardine for 16 hours?

Recently we flew Aeromexico and LAN. The service on both were great. Aeromexico provided some awesome food for cattle car people like me. LAN excelled at customer service, always had water ready to drink, and the whole thing was quite enjoyable.
sinecure

Re: How was your flight?

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:32 pm

My experience is that the flight experience and the food and the customer service are all better outside the US. Nobody I know feels more secure because of it, quite the contrary in fact.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 pm

JaliscoJudy wrote:My experience is that the flight experience and the food and the customer service are all better outside the US.

I wholeheartedly agree. When I fly domestically within the U.S., I always anticipate the inevitable delays, cranky, inconsiderate passengers, cranky, tired airline staff and no food at all. I find that the Asian airlines in particular are leaps and bounds ahead of American airlines -- newer aircraft, more legroom, and much, much better service.

My worst flight experience (on American Airlines): I was delayed in Dallas for 10 hours on the way to Honolulu. They kept pushing out the expected boarding time by 20 minutes at a time for 8 hours. When we finally boarded, we sat on the tarmac for another 2 hours. They turned the air off, didn't serve beverages or food and kept telling us that we were leaving in 10 minutes. There were no meals on the 8-hour flight; they sold awful, stale sandwhiches for $5-8 each, which they ran out of halfway down the plane. Then they announced that they were graciously giving us headsets for free (instead of charging the regular $2) because of the inconvenience. Because of the delay, I not only missed my mid-day connection in Honolulu, but had to wait til the next morning because I missed the last flight of the night. The airport was empty by that point (all ticket and customer service desks were closed), so I tried to call the airline. I couldn't find a customer service # on their website, so I called the frequent flyer members # (which I am one) and the reservations #, and they both told me that the airline has no customer service # at all and I would have to file my complaint by fax or mailing a physical letter (what is this, 1990?). Since then, I have stuck by my vow to never fly American Airlines again. I switched to Delta and Continental and have been so much happier since.

Best flight experience (on Korean Air): I got to my seat, and there was a blanket, pillow, bottle of water and a little travel kit with socks, toothbrush and toothpaste and an eye mask (nice touch). The impeccably dressed and made up flight attendants were incredibly accomodating, and if you were asleep while they were serving meals, they left you a note asking you to request your meals whenever you want them. My seat had a TV with hundreds of choices, including movies that were still playing in the theaters in the U.S. The Korean food they served (bibimbap, among others) was excellent. There was tons of leg room (so much so that the woman sitting in the row in front of me opted to sleep on the floor) and headroom, and my seat reclined almost all the way back (150 degrees, maybe?). I couldn't believe I was in coach.
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby sinecure » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

How long ago was your flight on Korean? they are one of the airlines I'm looking at for my next trip to Asia. Anything else you can tell me about it?
sinecure

Postby owena » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:19 pm

When we flew to Ecuador recently we had a good flight out there with LAN but had to come back with Iberia. LAN flight was OK but the Iberia was truly awful. Food was terrible, no bar service to speak of, cramped uncomfortale seats etc. To top it off we had a 13 hour flight with no seat back in flight entertainment - and this from a national flag flying airline!! We will never fly Iberia again

What made it worse for us was the fact that I had fractured my coccyx the week before our holiday, whcih made sitting for any length of time very difficult! Neither airline would accommodate a request to upgrade even though we were willing to pay the difference- 'you need to request at the airport', 'no you have to wait until you connect at Madrid' etc. On the LAN fllight there were more than 10 empty seats in the business cabin - we were given an amenity kit as a consolation - not quite sure how that was supposed to help with the sitting situation!

Out of choice we would always go for BA - snacks and bar service even on short haul European flights and excellent service on long haul. We have come to expect an amenity kit of socks, eye mask, toothbrush etc with BA, QANTAS, Emirates etc. on all long haul flights. Not sure why other airlines can't match this.
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm

owena wrote:Out of choice we would always go for BA - snacks and bar service even on short haul European flights and excellent service on long haul. We have come to expect an amenity kit of socks, eye mask, toothbrush etc with BA, QANTAS, Emirates etc. on all long haul flights. Not sure why other airlines can't match this.

We're not so rapped on BA here in the UK since they keep striking and have become unreliable in the the last year. But we LOVE Emirates, Singapore and Virgin! The Qantas planes that service the UK are all old and out of date - so not so keen. We like our individual TV's and Qantas UK hasnt got yet.

I too have had AWFUL flights in Iberia aswell as TAP - Portugese carrier.

And Kris_NYC - we have coined a phrase for AA American Airlines - we call them Absolutely Awful - and avoid at all costs too. Along with US transfers and customs - dreadful - worst ever!

Over here in the UK/Europe, Ryan Air is to be avoided at all costs - the hidden extra costs are now downright annoying - I hear they have even started charging to use the toilet on a flight - bloody tightwads. EasyJet are OK though for a budget airline and would pick over Ryan air anyday.

Interestingly Jet air and Indian airlines which I have used as the short hops between Kathmandu and Delhi were both pretty good with very yummy food.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:39 pm

That was a New York to Seoul flight in February 2008. I can't say enough about the quality of the in-flight service. I unfortunately haven't taken a flight on Korean since then, so I don't have a lot of info on them. There are websites that rank airlines, but I don't always agree with them or find them accurate.(How is it that American and Continental are ranked the same? I've always bad to awful experience on AA and good to excellent flights on Continental.) Here are some Korean Air reviews: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/korean.htm
kris_nyc

Postby DanielBMe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Great! I'm using AA for my flight to La Paz. Didn't really have a choice.

I've always had a good experience with KLM. Service, food, TV's were all generally good. I usually avoid BA just because the connecting flight to Heathrow always costs so much more than anywhere else. Although I did have a good flight with them but that was about 5yrs ago.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby TravelFun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I usually fly with BA when booking my own flight...suppose that's down to my Dad working for BA and we always flew with them as kids. As we always said...fly the flag :wink:

BA may not always be the 'best' airline but it's a trustworthy one and I feel comfortable flying with them. Iberia and Air France were mediocre and Emirates wasn't too bad although their food was good.

Happy Flying !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

AMERICAN AIRLINES! Holy Crap! A lady I work with surprised her handicapped husband with a trip to Costa Rica for his 50th birthday. Hint - he only has use of his left hand. Second hint - they had to carry him bodily onto the flight and place him in his seat. Yet, American Airlines left his fully-motorised wheelchair in Toronto, deeming it "unnecessary excess baggage". AA stood behind their baggage handler, "GAWD forbid Tiffany gets to Costa Rica without her capris and sandals but this handicapped man doesn't need his special wheelchair, he can adapt to an airport waiting room chair for his vacation", which is what they were offered on arrival! *rolls eyes*

When his chair arrived in Costa Rica 48 HOURS LATER it was damaged and unusable! It took two years and intervention by the Canadian news media before AA agreed to pay for repairs. No refund on the tickets. A pox on AA!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:00 pm

I don't always have a choice when I fly, because I often fly for work, and usually the cheapest ticket wins. This unfortunately is either American or United 95% of the time. Of those, I choose United because O'Hare is my home airport, and now I've got status on United that I'm trying not to lose. They've gotten much better with their customer service, but I still hate the nickel and dime attitude that comes with domestic travel in the US. And AA has been on my %@$# list for years, but I still use them from time to time, I just don't expect anything from them. My biggest complaint with both is that they never update their entertainment systems on long haul flights. And for the love of all things holy, how difficult is it to play a decent movie that actually made it to theaters?!

On a flight from Narita to O'Hare (on AA) my TV was broken, actually more like delayed, as it would change channels roughly 2 seconds after I pressed the button, and would jump channels 2 or 3 at a time. I finally figured it out, but the audio didn't work anyway, so it was a mute point. The audio next to me didn't work either. So then I reached over and plugged my earphones into my neighbor's seat 2 away, since he was asleep. That worked OK, until he rolled over and settled onto the controls, giving me a sampling of every channel while my monitor began to flicker. So I decide it might be best to read a book... except the entire bank of lights in my row didn't work. Friggin' AA. So I gave up on entertainment (12 hour flight with no TV, radio, lights to read... what to do?) and told the attendant my scenario, then politely asked for a bottle of wine. To which she replied, "Sure! That'll be five dollars." I've never wanted to punch somebody so much in my life.

The best flights have always been on foreign carriers, especially in Asia. Singapore Airlines, Korean Air, Malaysia Air, Thai Air, ANA all get high marks from me. Thai Air serves brandy after meals! JAL is very good as well, but they often codeshare with AA and they still use the old 747s to make the jump across the Pacific, which means no individual TVs. I also like BA, having flown them from London to Nairobi on mulitple occasions, they also have good service.
thecakeisalie

Postby kris_nyc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 pm

IncaTrail50 -- That is HORRIFYING. Good thing for AA that your coworker isn't more litigious; I'm sure a lot of people in that situation would've sued the pants off AA for all that stress, wasted time, ruined vacation and awful treatment.

thecakeisalie -- I know exactly what you mean about the fares. But I now just pay the extra to fly on any airline but AA. Out of principle, I refuse to pay for an AA flight. They just don't treat people right.
kris_nyc

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 pm

I've had very good experience with AA myself but the best flights I've taken in economy class were on Korean and Singapore Air Lines. I wasn't all that impressed with Alitalia domestic service -- about the only thing better than average US domestic service was the grade of coffee -- but that was nearly 20 years ago.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby owena » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Zuleika - I also live in the UK and hear what you say about the BA strikes and associated unreliability but have to say that we fly with them regularly and (touch wood!!) have never had a problem so far. Last year when we used our air miles in their 'half miles' offer to the states we somehow managed to get upgraded to business going and premium economy on the way back even though we had only paid the air taxes - that was certainly a result!

ps - how do you guys manage to quote from previous posts? tips would be welcome
thanks
owena

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:40 pm

owena wrote:ps - how do you guys manage to quote from previous posts? tips would be welcome
thanks

Owena -- just click on the "Quote" button in the upper right corner of the post you want to quote from. It will open up a reply box with the quoted text already in it. Alternatively, you can create your own by putting quote="source" inside square brackets (replace "source" with the name of who you're quoting but keep the quote marks) followed by the text followed by /quote inside square brackets.

Example:

Kirk wrote:I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs