Absolute Peru

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Absolute Peru

Postby papercuts » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi.

I went on the Absolute Peru trip a few years ago with Gap and I had an amazing time. I've been fortune to travel to many places and Peru still ranks there amongst the best.

I posted some pics online fairly recently and I thought I'd share.

http://thruaglassdarkly.com/gallery.php ... eru/01.jpg

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers.
papercuts
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Absolute Peru

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing. I browsed through some of your other albums and your pictures are wonderful! A good variety of landscapes, everyday life, touristy spots, dawn/dusk, closeups, b/w... very nicely arranged! What kind of gear do you shoot with? More importantly, what lenses?
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby TravelFun » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Those photos are amazing with such sharpness and love the colours! Yes, what gear do you use?
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby bluepastel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Thank you! I have a Nikon d40 with the 18-55 kit lens and 55-200mm vr lens. I'm looking to buy a new lens or two. I want a wide angle and a fixed lens. And hopefully, I can upgrade the camera next year.

What type of gear do you fellas use?
bluepastel
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby TravelFun » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 pm

I had a Canon point-and-shoot digital camera which got stolen so am now looking for a replacement...still need to do some research before I buy but I am a Canon fan!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby thecakeisalie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Canon digital RebelXT for me, with a 10-22mm, 28-135mm, and 70-300mm. I also have the 18-55mm lens that came with the body but I usually leave it at home.
thecakeisalie

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:50 pm

I'll be in Peru in a few weeks. Actually Bolivia and Peru. I'm taking my Nikon D80 and 16-85vr but I'm wondering if I should take my 70-300vr. I'm seen plenty of pics of both places and very rarely have seen a pic where a zoom more than an 85mm zoom was used. Did you find much use for the long end of your 55-200? Leaving the 70-300 at home would make for a lighter daypack as well.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby wavewet » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:04 pm

nice pics papercuts!

DanielBMe » take the the 70-300 you'll regret it if you dont
wavewet
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ballu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Wow! I did that trip back in 2004 with some crappy point and shoot film camera. I've often wondered how much better my photos could have been, but your's are amazing. It brings it all back to me.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby papercuts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

TravelFun wrote:I had a Canon point-and-shoot digital camera which got stolen so am now looking for a replacement...still need to do some research before I buy but I am a Canon fan!

I've heard great things about Canon DSLRs. I don't think you can go wrong with either a Canon or Nikon (or Olympus or Pentax, for that matter)! Sometimes, I wish I had something like the Canon G9 which is fairly small and compact (great for travelling) but takes good quality photos and shoots in RAW. Good luck in your search!

P.S. BluePastel = papercuts; I couldn't log on last time for some reason
papercuts

Postby papercuts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 am

thecakeisalie wrote:Canon digital RebelXT for me, with a 10-22mm, 28-135mm, and 70-300mm. I also have the 18-55mm lens that came with the body but I usually leave it at home.

That's a great setup!!! I want to abandon my kit lens at some point. I bought a fixed 35mm lens the other day, which is exciting. Next is a wide angle. I'm thinking the sigma 10-20mm.
papercuts

Postby papercuts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 am

thecakeisalie wrote:Canon digital RebelXT for me, with a 10-22mm, 28-135mm, and 70-300mm. I also have the 18-55mm lens that came with the body but I usually leave it at home.

That's a great setup!!! I want to abandon my kit lens at some point. I bought a fixed 35mm lens the other day, which is exciting. Next is a wide angle. I'm thinking the sigma 10-20mm.
papercuts

Postby papercuts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 am

DanielBMe wrote:I'll be in Peru in a few weeks. Actually Bolivia and Peru. I'm taking my Nikon D80 and 16-85vr but I'm wondering if I should take my 70-300vr. I'm seen plenty of pics of both places and very rarely have seen a pic where a zoom more than an 85mm zoom was used. Did you find much use for the long end of your 55-200? Leaving the 70-300 at home would make for a lighter daypack as well.

I have a 55-200mm and there were a few occasions where I used the maximum length: in the Amazon (for photos of monkeys and bugs) and for the Colca Canyon (for photos of the condors). I also used it to take a few portraits, however, your walkaround lens covers more range than mine. It's prob not essential to take the 70-300 except in a few cases.
papercuts

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:51 am

I also have a 35mm 1.8 lens that I was thinking of taking for some night time shots. Do any of the cities light up at night in such a way that taking night time photos would be worthwhile?
DanielBMe

Postby papercuts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:18 am

DanielBMe wrote:I also have a 35mm 1.8 lens that I was thinking of taking for some night time shots. Do any of the cities light up at night in such a way that taking night time photos would be worthwhile?

Yes, the cities in Peru are beautiful when lit. They follow the Spanish concept of a main square and they are always very nicely lit. Cusco in particular was great for night shots.
papercuts

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs