Taking time for trips 1 month + long

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby joliva » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:31 pm

one word: teacher
joliva
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Taking time for trips 1 month + long

Postby lovely_tori » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:15 am

Leaves of Absence are always an option, you never know until you ask!
Also if you just talk to your boss and let them know your opportunity, they may allow it! :)
lovely_tori
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby kdschu » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 pm

I usually go in between jobs, but luckily I have a gig that will let me go-- however, no vacation pay. But it's worth it. There are perks to being in the entertainment industry sort of... it's like being an itinerant worker... they say I'll even have a job when i come back. fan-tastic!

It's also a matter of how important you think traveling is- more important than a job? Finding another one if the first won't let you go? And how much money can you save in the meantime... bcs you never have enough time or money unless you pry the parameters of said confinement apart. :roll:
-karen
kdschu
User Rank: Traveller

Postby marilyna » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 pm

You are right, it's tough for many people to get longer time off. Is there a less busy time? The shoulder season when most people don't want time off?
I was able to get a pre-paid leave of 6 months - similar to a sabbital - which was great because I got paid the whole time.
marilyna

Postby BrianK » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:54 am

There are two things that I do for a 'Longer Vacation Time'.

First is save up the vacation weeks from one year and use them at the end of the vacation cycle. Then schedule the vacation weeks from the following years at the beginning of the next. My company's vacation period start / end for April 1st. Three weeks off before and three weeks off after. Presto magico. 1 month and a half off.

Second. This one hurts the pocket book though. During the summer months of June and July we are so overstaffed and under-worked. The company can and will give weeks off with-out pay. This assists them in their finances as is lessen their payroll for these down-times. You get the time off but you pay the cost with lack of paychecks.

Either way. Ask. You don't know what you can do until you ask. They can say yes or no. If it is a yes you are set to partake in your trips. If you don't ask, you have answered for them with a resounding 'No'.

Good Luck
BrianK

Postby ballu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:11 am

one word: teacher

Two words: laid off!
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby Zuleika » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:37 pm

I feel for you guys over in the US and Canada.
Here in the UK things are a lot better regarding holiday time off.

You will probably hate me when I tell you that I get 35 days per year and can take it all at once or break it up however I please, I can even take 5 days over for a really long holiday the following year.
But this is generous and my friends dont get quite as much, I think 4 - 5 weeks is the norm.
However I work for the health service so the payback is I have to work some nights weekends and bank holidays, so its all relative, however it all seems worth when I am on a long trip. Dont get many perks in the NHS but this is one of them!! Defo no big end of year bonuses like my friends get!!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:03 pm

This summer will be the first time I've ever been able to take more than 2 weeks off and it's only because I'll be between jobs. I may try to negotiate more vacation time for less pay at my next job so I can do more of this kind of thing.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby nikimarcotte » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:08 pm

my first big trip was year in australia...so i waited until i graduated from university then worked all summer to save money, and took off for a year, needless to say, i came home with about $70 to my name. when i came home from australia i started working for the city(municipal employee) as a temporary employee...luckily i always got full time hours, but unluckily i got all my vacation paid out, but couldn't actually take any vacation days because i wasn't permanent, by the time i had a permanent position, i had been temporary for 2 years and i wouldnt' be able to take for the first year after becoming permanent...so i took a 2 month leave of absence to travel through central america, it was approved, so i emptied my bank account knowing i was coming home to a job and a pay cheque within a week.
finally it all started to work out. i get 3 weeks vacation each year and i am allowed to carry over as many holidays as i want and i can take all my vacation in a lump because we have a relief operator/maintenance person that can just be thrown onto my shift. so i used 2 years of vacation and banked overtime to go to europe for 10 weeks. Then the next year i went to Egypt, Turkey and greece for 5 weeks. i am currently saving up another 2 years of vacation for an 8 weeks trip to asia this fall.

i am a water plant operator with a biochemistry degree, my boss really doesn't want to lose me and i much prefer getting paid all the time i am travelling. it also helps that i work shift work..i work 4 days(12hr shifts) then i get 4 days off, we are allowed to trade shifts amongst employees if it is just an extra day here and there. i also try to work around busy times of year that would conflict with others taking holidays so i make it as easy as possible for my boss to give me the time off. He knows that travel is what keeps me happy so he just tells me that i "BETTER MAKE IT HOME SAFE" every time before i leave on a trip. so i have the next 12 years planned out for trips all 5 weeks or more...my boss is forewarned which he appreciates:)
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Previous

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs