Taking time for trips 1 month + long

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Taking time for trips 1 month + long

Postby lillilland » Thu May 31, 2007 9:35 pm

While I was going through the GAP brochure I noticed many trips are 3 weeks, and 1 month or more in length.

If you have gone on a trip of this length, can I ask how you managed to take that time off? I would absolutely be inspired to know how or get tips on how I could get that much time away (since at my work I only get three weeks vacation and usually can't take more than 2 weeks at once)!

The "common" answers I can think of are that you retired, or a student that just finished school, or someone in between jobs. But I suspect there must be more to it than that... or are people lucky enough to have job that will allow for 1 month+ off at a time?

I would love to hear your response :)
lillilland
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ballu » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:05 am

I wish I could get a full month or more off...

I have managed a couple of 3 week vacations. I've been with my company long enough that I've built up 4 weeks a year. We need special permission to take more than 2. I got my first 3 week vacation approved because my boss came in and told me he was going to retire. A few days later I asked him to approve the 3 weeks off, he said, "Sure, it won't affect me" and the new boss got stuck with it. New boss told me to enjoy because it wouldn't happen again.

Now that I've worked with him a few years, I think he knows that my vacation is one of the main things keeping me with the company so he also approved a 3 week vacation. I've get the time off, he knows I'm guaranteed to stay here until after November.

Basically, you never know until you ask.
ballu

Postby erin.e » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 am

Hi Lil..,

I chose to work as a contacor/consultant for this year so I could go on the 52 day South African Overland tour. I have been doing office work for the last 5 years where I had 3 weeks vacation but was only allowed 2 weeks at a time... I attempted to look into getting leave without pay for the 2 months off; but most of the people and managers that I spoke with pretty much shot that idea down. So I quit my full time job and hired on with a Temp agency, that way I can work as much as I want to until i leave for my trip and I have no burnt bridges for taking an extended vacation.

I Hope you can manage to find a way to get the time off... traveling is the experience of a life time and I dont believe it should be missed just beacuse you work wont comprimise.

Happy trails!

Erin
erin.e
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:21 am

I struggle with this topic every year. I only get two weeks of vacation (plus we are closed between Christmas and New Years) and I am in the US so we don't get too many holidays. Also, I use one week every summer on a volunteer trip with my church's youth group (as staff), so long trips are quite tricky, but there are some options.

1. Ask for a sabbatical. If you've spent a lot of time the company they may let you take some time off without pay. This worked for me when I was out of vacation days and wanted to go to Africa.
2. Ask if you can work extra (overtime or weekends) at the same rate, in exchange for a few days off. I travel a lot for work, so when it comes time to work out compensation, I usually cut a deal with my boss to take off on a Monday or Friday, thereby lengthening the weekend and the ability to travel further.
3. Use the holidays and weekends to your advantage. For thanksgiving in the US we get Thursday and Friday off at the end of November. A sick day, comp day, and personal day later and I've turned that into an entire week, coupled with a week of vacation before or after, plus the weekends and that turns out to be a 17-day break.

Some of these may work for your job situation, they may not. But I feel your pain. I still haven't quite managed the long trip yet, but where there is a will there is a way... You just have to find a way to manipulate the system in your favor! Good luck!

Tom
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Sierra_Travels » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:04 pm

For the really long trips, find out if your company allows you to save up time and "roll it over" into the next year.
Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Snagproof » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:58 pm

This year I am going to take my 2 weeks holiday right at the beggining of January + the 2 weeks my company is closed during December.
Snagproof

Postby vebrinda » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:24 pm

I guess I am lucky. I have worked at my job for 24 years and get 5 weeks vacation per year. There is no limit on how much you take at a time so long as you get a manager's approval. I planned for my 3-week peru trip before I moved to my current department, and told them when they hired me I planned to take a 3-week vacation. I plan on taking two more weeks in July to play in Oregon.

I don't take long vacations often, but if planned in advance, you should be able to cut a deal if you are a diligent employee who does a decent job.
vebrinda
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby staceybella » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:57 pm

in other countries many people get about 5 weeks of vacation a year. it would be nice if american companies weren't so stingy and money hungry huh?
staceybella
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Pennyapple » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:50 pm

I work full time and get 3 weeks vacation a year plus a handful of accumulated days from overtime and what not, which turns it into about 4 weeks. i usually plan my vacations around statutory holidays (easter is a great one, with Good Friday and Easter Monday).

However, I'm dying to take a longer trip that covers more ground, and I am thinking of asking for leave no pay, or taking a sabatical for a few months...I don't know if it will be approved, and it's a risk to empty my bank account of some hard earned dollars for an extended trip where I'll be earning nada, but I think it's worth it.
Pennyapple

Postby jenlouie » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:08 pm

I went on a 5-week long trip with GAP last year, and except for one person who was a self-employed artist, all of us were in between jobs (even the Europeans and the one New Zealander on my trip). There was no way my employer would've allowed that amount of time off. :( I have a friend who is a contractor/consultant and is able to take long trips (at least month long) between gigs. The next time I take a long (more than 2 week) trip I'll probably have to be between jobs again. Sad fact of working life.
jenlouie

Postby lilme » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Become a teacher like me ... I have 2 months off every year and that's how I get to travel :)
lilme

Postby Myosotis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:31 pm

It depends where you work. Sometimes, you just ask your employer and you would be surprised to know that many employers are flexibles and open-minded.
Asking doesn't cost anything and the worst think that could happen to you is to have a big "no" as a final answer.
:)
Myosotis

ahha

Postby Ildi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:18 pm

I know this was posted a while ago....but

i was searching for jobs specifically which may allow me to travel. Alas, the government! As much as I hate sitting in a cubicle, I get leave of absences..so I'm heading to central/south america for 4 months this winter. My manager has discretion for leaves under 1 year and since he likes me i guess he approved it! aaand..now they get to hire a contract worker to fill my position, thus allowing someone to get a foot in the door.

i am however looking for a job that would allow me to travel..as a part of the job. haven't found one i'm qualified for though.
any ideas:)

ildi
Work to live, don't live to work.
Ildi

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:41 pm

what do you do, that might help with suggestions...
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

in response

Postby Ildi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 pm

what do i do?

well, i work with young offenders (criminals under eighteen)...not social work per say but similar. My degree is sociology, aboriginal studies and a part diploma in child and youth work. i've volunteered with homeless in toronto for 3 years and as many people, I too have oodles and oodles of customer service and waitressing experiences. and I LOVE working with dogs...i volunteer at a local kennel walking them.

sooo..with that..what are my options for travel related jobs?:) or anything else for that matter
Work to live, don't live to work.
Ildi

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs