To transfer pics to portable storage or not?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

To transfer pics to portable storage or not?

Postby yipiyiyeah » Tue May 25, 2010 12:57 am

Hi ... I'm thinking about taking a small 8GB Cruiser and wondering how to transfer my Canon Elf pics to it? Or maybe I should just get more SD cards and not bother? Does anyone have another suggestion ... thats even easier? Not very computer saavy, if fact not very digital camera saavy ... maybe I should take my regular 35mil camera (also canon elph!) as nobody would probably steal it!! :?
thx, Yipiyiyeah
yipiyiyeah
User Rank: Weekender

Re: To transfer pics to portable storage or not?

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue May 25, 2010 1:46 am

I highly recommend copying your pictures to another drive just in case but you really can't transfer it to a USB memory stick like the Cruiser without having a computer between the two. I would take extra SD cards and either a backup device (I think someone recommended something called a "Wolverine"?) or a netbook that can read your memory cards. One of the gals on my Africa trip had filled up her SD cards but had a USB memory stick with her -- lucky for her, I had my tablet with me so was able to copy her pics to her USB stick and free up some space on her SD cards. The nice thing with the netbook is you can use it preview your pictures on a somewhat larger screen and write yourself travel notes.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby owena » Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 am

We took a netbook and transferred our pics each night. It felt safer not having lots of pics on a memory card that could get lost or damaged while we were travelling. As EWB says it was great to be able to see the pics on the larger screen, access the net etc with the one device as well. In fact on our last trip to the Galapagos and Ecuador we backed up onto the netbook and then onto another memory card just in case.........

Have a great trip and take lots of pics whichever method of storage you use
owena
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby DanielBMe » Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 am

I prefer to just use more cards. Just flip the notch so they are read only once full. Put them away in your bag. If you can lose your cards, you can certainly lose your portable storage or break it.

I usually use 2-4GB memory cards. That way if you lose one, you don't lose all your photos.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby sinecure » Tue May 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Depending on where you are going wifi might be widely available and you might be able to upload them to a service like picasa in case your camera\cards are stolen.
sinecure

Postby Zuleika » Tue May 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I like to keep things simple and not lug around netbooks etc in my luggage. I simply take lots of memory cards - the're really cheap these days!. When these are full they go in my internal money-belt which is always either on me or in a hotel safe - greatly reduces the chances of having them stolen or lost, although no method is infallible. I would also worry too much that a laptop is attractively nick-able and that you are not going to be able to have it on you every minute of everyday.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby yipiyiyeah » Tue May 25, 2010 11:05 pm

LuvIt ~ thankU :arrow: will chek into Gmail's Picasa for that back-up theory and take more cards!

"Power consists in one's capacity to link one's will with the purpose of others, to lead by reason and a gift of cooperation" Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924)
"Power consists in one's capacity to link one's will with the purpose of others, to lead by reason and a gift of cooperation" Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924)
yipiyiyeah

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:36 pm

I'd like to add my vote for extra memory cards that I keep on my person. Decide how many cards you'll need and then take two more! I used to leave them in the hotel safe until my friend (and everyone at her hotel) had their in-room safes emptied by probably hotel people. They lost their cameras, passports, money, etc. When they complained to the front desk they were told they must have misplaced them, not put them in the safe in the first place. When they went back to their room to check out they found their luggage slashed, nothing taken, just being malicious. I'm not as worried since this happened at a resort and I'm not a resort person but still... :shock:

I leave my big camera in the safe when I'm going out at night, and take my point and shoot camera with all my memory cards. And I stay away from resorts! :lol:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby nick75 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

I looked into devices you could use to back up camera memory cards but found nothing really cheap (under £50), especially if you want to view the backed up photos as well. In the end I found an Archos media tablet 2nd hand on Ebay (Archos FV430) which had a 30Gb disk and was fine for copying all the photos and videos as we went along. It has its own wallet and is not much bigger than a mobile phone, you just bring along a USB card reader and you can copy all memory cards onto it. Also good for long coach journeys as you can load it with films and music.
Otherwise you could use a smaller netbook or tablet PC as the prices are now almost the same compared to dedicated camera backup devices.
nick75

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:31 pm

yipiyiyeah wrote:Hi ... I'm thinking about taking a small 8GB Cruiser and wondering how to transfer my Canon Elf pics to it? Or maybe I should just get more SD cards and not bother? Does anyone have another suggestion ... thats even easier? Not very computer saavy, if fact not very digital camera saavy ... maybe I should take my regular 35mil camera (also canon elph!) as nobody would probably steal it!! :?
thx, Yipiyiyeah

This is an interesting question and one that I've really been thinking a lot about. I've recently started shooting in RAW+JPEG mode on my camera, as my hobby of travel photography has continued to develop. This meant for my recent trip to Tibet & Nepal (with layover stops in Beijing, Bangkok and due to a missed connection, Tokyo) I had to take a LOT of memory, filling three 16GB cards and putting a dent in to another 8GB card.

I looked very briefly in to the iPad when it came out, but it's memory is pretty low...only 80GB, so for the extra weight I'd need to carry, it really doesn't give you a lot of memory space. My other issue with it was that it isn't something you'd want to carry on your person at all times, and many hotels do not have safes in the room. If it gets stolen, it defeats the purpose of a backup.

For the moment, I will probably just continue to take many memory cards, and continue to buy them whenever I see one on sale, but I'm interested to hear what other people do, especially those shooting lots of photos at high quality settings.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jimshu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Everyone will find their own solution, but as technology improves it gives us more options.
But I have found that it cuts down on what you have to carry with you if you just go for extra memory cards/sticks. They're really cheap these days.
I prefer 2gb cards (Adam has special requirements but the bulk of us are just amateurs ) mainly because every trip we've been on, someone has lost or had stolen their camera, and along with it went all there photos.One or 2 large capacity cards I think are risky in this respect.
Change your cards and store them away from your camera.
And with modern photo frames so easy just to insert a memory card into it.So nowadays , I'm storing my photos on them , and just buy another.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby PaulTeolis » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:24 pm

I find 2Gig cards only go so far these days, camera megapixels are getting larger and space fills up even faster. Now I shoot professionally so that skews this post a bit for the average person, but for myself a 16 gig card is best right now. With video on DSLR's, a 2g cards gets you next to nothing. So always take that into consideration. Video eats up your cards incredibly fast.

I have heard the argument of larger cards more chances of failure, Myth! Sure anything can happen, but if people back up their photos on an archos or epson, laptop or whatever, chances are they are always covered. Recovery software works great too. Buy sandisk cards, lifetime warranty.

I have seen on many trips people simply not bringing enough memory and going frantic, but memory cards can be bought in any major city around the world. I am surprised how many people now bring netbooks and laptops while travelling. For me a given.
Lots of options out there. Once iPads have larger storage capabilities they will be a great solution.
The future for storage can only get better.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 pm

On my Antarctica tour, we had a few people using iPads with external hard drives attached via the USB dongle. Personally, I backed up all my pictures to hard drive while doing Africa, Greece, Scandanavia and Antarctica. I've lost SD cards before and was totally crushed when that happened. I still kept multiple 32 GB cards for the Antarctica trip and will not clean them out until I get back home so my pictures have multiple backups.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs