To chase away your in between boredom blues!

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

To chase away your in between boredom blues!

Postby jimshu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Kay and I have been travelling for many years, and have many wonderful memories, some amazing adventures ,and stories to tell.Someone once said I should write them down.And when you're sitting around a campfire in the middle of the Namib Desert, ,chatting with a local guy, who opens up and talks of things he experienced when a young man, as a guerilla freedom fighter in then South West Africa,and says to you-
"I have never talked about this with anyone before." it leaves a mark.A deep mark, that I was so privileged to become his confidant.And I asked him to write his stories down, because they should be told.
And it was then I realised that if you don't talk about those events, or write them down, they die with you.And that some stories should never die, they are so valuable, so precious, because they're unique.If we lose them we can never regain them.

Kay and I are avid readers of every travel story we can find.Our local library is raided for non-fiction travel books.There's a pile of books at home right now.I guess other library users must get pretty frustrated with our library's seemingly sparse selection!
These books are other people's stories.Other people's experiences.They make our world so colorful and more vibrant ,because they wrote about their experiences,enlightening us to places we dream about, but may never see.

And it's not just books.It's the music CD and DVD section also.And I'm lucky to have created the type of business where I control my own work environment.And with a huge range of music that I have collected along our travels,my workshop will resound with the music of Hungarian Gypsy Bands,South African Gospel music, Zulu or Swazi massed male choirs ,Mongolian throatsinging or Cambodian landmine survivors music groups, etc ....A 5CD changer, and a hit on Random Play and I'm off again.I can travel all day long.....
Clients nowadays walk in and ask "What on earth are you playing today Jim?"
Yeah I know an IPOD can do all that.But somehow putting that CD souvenir on, from one off those far off places, does it for me.My Ipod meanwhile, collects dust!
But it is modern technology that makes a lot of this possible.Hark back to your great grandparents generation.What do you know of their lives and experiences? How much do we know of the tough times many of them experienced? A letter here, a few faded photographs,possibly a family heirloom is all we have of them.A few books perhaps.But the bulk of their individual thoughts , deeds , feelings and experiences have gone with them.
Fast forward today.Twitter, Facebook,cellphones,Internet,YouTube, etc all enabling anyone to record their everyday experiences.Info overload!. But taken for granted. Taken as always being there.
What a load of crap amongst it all! In the future, instead of archaeologists sifting through the dirt to find an artifact, they'll be sifting through the electronic junk pile middens of our age for that 1 decent piece of info that really means something!
But I do realise that this age, this generation ,does have a great opportunity to leave it's collective experience, it's social memory behind, in a way and in detail unlike any generation before .In the past, there were a few great travel writers.Some outstanding authors made it into press.And we read them, and cried out for more.
Nowadays, the Internet opens up a whole new world of possibilities.Everyone who travels can write about their travel experiences.Sure, we're not all the greatest authors.Some of us can't spell to save ourselves.Or know what an apostrophe is, let alone what it's for.And most of us won't make any money from our blogging.
But those are irrelevancies.The important thing is this-
that people are blogging on their experiences.Those unique experiences that are going to remain with us forever.They're not just precious....they're diamonds.Because they're now indestructible.

So the idea for this site is the culmination of many things, the end of a journey, and the start of another, perhaps.Or probably just taking a different direction....
For after all life is the journey.The places we visit are just bustops along the way.
Our journey has plenty of bus stops!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Re: To chase away your in between boredom blues!

Postby TravelFun » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Well put Jim...a thoughtful insight. Yes, the technology gives us many opportunities to create blogs, log our experiences etc but with it also comes a hectic lifestyle and finding that quiet downtime to pen it or should I say to type it ! It's one thing I need to make more time for...
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby jimshu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:17 pm

finding that quiet downtime

So if you can't find that time, then you can't be bored!
And if you're bored, put pen to paper...er, finger to keyboard! :D
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Great post, Jimshu. I second your feelings about souvenir CDs...I find that they're the best souvenirs as I never get tired of them and they can instantly transport me back to that country. My sunset boat ride down the river Ganges included musicians playing the sitar and tabla...I purchased his CD, and when I got home, I played it while sorting through my photos. It was great re-living the experiences.

But I copy the music from the CDs to my iPod...makes transporting and traveling a lot easier. :p
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jimshu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Way to go Kris.We're probably both playing the same CD!
BTW this
So the idea for this site is the culmination of many things,

refers to a blog site I set up where I'm writing down a few memories such as the above.If you want to know about it,PM me.
Anybody else got some good posts to make?
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm

I "went digital" with my photos 10 years ago. I wasn't printing anything, just making CDs of the photos to music. I was able to add captions. Nice! Except that they had to be watched on my small-ish screen PC. Then the technology changed. My new PCs don't play the CDs. GAH! I switched to DVDs. Once again I can put my pictures to the music I bring home, add captions, dates and times. A big bonus is that I can add the little movies I take along the way. But I have to convert the old non-playable CDs to DVD. Who has that kind of time, or memory for events from 10 years ago? How long before DVDs are gone and I have to convert again? So, I decided to print photo books along with my DVDs. They are nicer than the old photo albums. Instead of gluing in admission tickets, boarding passes, other non-photo items that inevitably fall out, I scan them and upload them to the photo book site as a photo. I am able to blog a bit beside the pictures to remember my thoughts at the time. I include the DVD in a sleeve at the front and I have a good record of whatever place we've traveled. No matter how the technology advances nothing can replace old-fashioned paper for longevity. But our big-screen HDTVs have replaced 35mm slides for capturing a truer feeling for being there. Throw in the DVD, turn out the lights, and you're transported all over the world!
Although, my brother maintains that the HD TV picture is no better than it was 40 years ago, the technology is merely keeping pace with is failing eyesight!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:09 am

I do both. I put my pictures on my video server and display them on my big screen HDTV. The pictures look incredible! But I also upload my pictures to Blacks and get a photo book done. I have been working on my photobook from last year and almost finished. I never actually thought about putting in text. Now I'll have to start over lol
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:25 am

Daniel, before you finish your photo book...I have a suggestion. I had a look at Black's photo books but they seem limited in choice. After I did my first trip with GAP they sent me a link to a free 8x8 photo book with Shutterfly. I don't know if GAP is still involved with them but they make GREAT photo books. They are expensive but have great sales throughout the year (30-50% off). I upload all of my pictures, create my book and then wait for a sale. I always get the 12x12 size. With that size there are lots of options for adding anything from captions to whole pages of text to accompany the pictures. One of the layout options prints just one picture on the 12x12 page, stunning for some pictures! With Shutterfly you can customise the number of pictures per page, the background colour of each page (40+ choices plus patterns), the cover pictures, the edge you want for the pictures (lots), etc. Overall way too many choices maybe but each place I go seems to require its own style. I now consider these photo books one of my travel costs! I spent a lot of money on my camera(s) and on each trip, I want the photos to reflect that.
IncaTrail50

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 am

I now consider these photo books one of my travel costs! I spent a lot of money on my camera(s) and on each trip, I want the photos to reflect that.

This makes a lot of sense to me, IncaTrail50. Photos that stay on the computer or, as in the old days, in unsorted piles of prints don't tell the story. I have used Blurb a bit but will look into the Shutterfly bookmaker as well. I have several books in mind, one about my mom's life and one called "Dogs of Mexico."
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am

Blacks has upgraded their photobook software. You can do just about anything. One large pic per page or a bunch of smaller ones, changing colour of each page, styles, fonts, etc etc. It really is pretty cool. The only problem is that there are soooo many choices that it becomes very time consuming trying to figure out what you want. I had my book at about 100 pages but kinda think it's overkill. I think I am going to try to get it down to about 75 max.
DanielBMe

Postby jimshu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Whoopps!I didn't mean to hijack anti-boredom blues away from this thread-
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12849&start=0
So let's keep this thread to blogging and picture books etc , which is happening.And you guys are coming out with some great info on photobooks that I'm going to have to catch up on.

www.blurb.com
I got put onto that site by a friend.I note with websites like that, you can even publish your own book.Now that is cool.This internet is amazing in what we can do these days, that used to be beyond our reach a couple of decades ago.One of the reasons I started my blogsite was to write down our travel tales, and in some future date, select the best, and see whether we could publish them.
Now I find I can do that, and it just doesn't matter that you have to go to a publisher who'll only publish if they can sell a hundred thousand copies!
Hey, I only need 1 copy for my coffee table.!So we can all now be travel writers and be very succesful, because we never have a failure...... :lol:
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby TravelFun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:16 pm

jimshu wrote:Hey, I only need 1 copy for my coffee table.!So we can all now be travel writers and be very succesful, because we never have a failure...... :lol:

Just love it... :P

I'm looking into using Snapfish www.snapfish.co.uk they have good deals via Flickr (where I upload my photos too) but will check out the other sites mentioned here!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 pm

So many good sites, so little time! I started yours, Jim, love the picture of Ayla and Lucky. I had to order two copies of my photo books - my loyal old Mom says my photos are good enough to be published and insists that I at least TRY. I finally ordered an extra copy of one of my books so before she dies she can see my work in print. She doesn't get out much so I guess my secret is safe. :oops:

Judy, something to think about in addition to your Mom's written book, if you have anything handwritten by her you can scan and add it to a photo book. A woman I work with is doing a "Grandma's cookbook". She's scanned all the old recipes from both sides of the family, added favourite pictures of the Grandmas, and is having copies printed for all the grandchildren. It is so much better to capture the old hand-written recipes, covered with flour spots, stained with butter (remember when we weren't afraid to use real butter to cook?!), notes scribbled on the side as the recipe was honed?

Daniel, I might have another look at Black's. I didn't see much without uploading pictures and starting a photo book but maybe they don't give away all their secrets up front!
IncaTrail50

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:55 am

if you have anything handwritten by her you can scan and add it to a photo book.

Good idea! It's too bad that I don't have much that is handwritten by her. Even at 88, she was using computers to compose but we do have the pocket notebook she was using here in Ecuador. She was working on a new "Have Walker Will Travel" column about her trip.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs