Most annoying traveller habits?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Most annoying traveller habits?

Postby graybeard » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Ah, yes. The well-known "tip weasels". A plague upon them. To carry their belief system that tipping is ONLY for exemplary service to other cultures where the tip is really the salary is just a cover-up for their own interpersonal arrogance and cheapness when is come to others. And, what a surprise!, very few folks provide service that meets their idea of what 'exemplary" is. Sure, they have the very good fortune to be able to travel (unlike most in the world), but let's not pay the server a living wage because it may corrupt them or because the guide did not kowtow enough.

Sheesh.

End-of-Rant.
:evil:
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby owena » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm passed worrying about annoying travellers - after a hard day at work I want to join the Kiwi Happy 3 Hours please!
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Reditor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Fun topic started by travellergem!
I've been known to snore sometimes, so I always tell my roommates to just throw something at me, as that is what I'll do to them if they get loud! The chronically late traveller is a big annoyance to me....and at the risk of sounding inconsiderate, so is the picky vegetarian (or any picky eater really).

This is the person who constantly complains that certain foods are not available in a foreign country, or who tries to lure 10 other people to the 1 restaurant they like (but has virtually nothing appealing to everyone else).

Thankfully these do seem to be rare creatures.
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby sinecure » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:05 pm

How about the person who clips their toe nails on the plane....
sinecure

Postby graybeard » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Toe nail clippers on a plane??! Really?

Eeew. :shock:
graybeard

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Nevermind, I saw someone doing that at work at their desk! That's just nasty!

I wonder if there's a correlation between our ages and the amount of things we find annoying? I seem to find more things annoying the older I get...
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:44 am

We had a picky eater on the Inca Trail...said she was a vegetarian because she thought the meat might not be good ANYWHERE OUTSIDE CANADA. (Like no one here gets food-poisoning). So all of her meals were without meat and then she made small comments every meal about how good all of our meat looked and how she wasn't really a vegetarian and was anyone feeling at all ill after eating the meat? It was awesome food, too bad for her!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby jimshu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:56 am

I seem to find more things annoying the older I get...

They say the older men get, they are beginning to lack Magnesium and Calcium.
Lack of both makes you grumpy.Take supplements.Works wonders!
Whenever I'm uptight Kay asks me if I've stopped taking my Happy Pills!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby francine_16 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 pm

The picky eater that is a good one to mention. I just had someone on my trip to Kili who when we got to the group meeting told the guide she prefers no red meat. The guide was not clear initially thinking she meant no meant, then she repeatedly informed him how she did not want red meat. Then one breakfast on the hike I see her eating sausage, so I said I thought no red meat and she said sausage was not red meat, but processed meat so it was fine. That was very annoying. Poor guides worked really hard to make sure she had enough food.
francine_16

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:58 am

graybeard, as one of those snorers (I got asked to move my tent once while we were in Africa), I apologize for the disturbances but have to say it's not exactly something we are conscious of or can help. I've tried those BreatheRight strips and have been told it helps somewhat but doesn't eliminate the snoring. However, I try to tell my roommates to just elbow me if I am snoring.

I thought of another annoyance -- not so much a habit -- but had someone on one coach trip who claimed to be prone to motion-sickness and said she HAD to sit at the front. It struck me (and others) as just a tad deceptive since I had just come off another coach trip where someone who genuinely WAS prone to motion sickness asked me to switch seats so she WASN'T watching the road. (And yes, she never once showed any sign of motion sickness on the trip.)
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby travellergem » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 am

sinecure wrote:How about the person who clips their toe nails on the plane....

I am horrified!!!

Think that I've had it really easy when travelling then, judging by some of these answers :)

Although, all this talk of planes reminded me... On plane journeys, I ALWAYS seem to get stuck in the middle of two people who feel it's their right to use the armrest between us! I see it as a barrier, to remind them to keep to their own seat... but more often, I end up with an elbow each side sticking into me! Grrrr...
travellergem
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jimshu » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 pm

As long as you weren't on the long haul Heathrow to Auckland flight with my daughter who had a window seat !
For some strange reason, being a vegetarian, she munched a whole packet of prunes just before boarding.
Spent the whole flight up and down to the toilets......
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby jmclatchie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Great topic.
1. Drama queens.
2. Plane travellers who bring too much carry on luggage.
3. Tourmates who promise to share their photos but never do!
"The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page."
-St. Augustine
jmclatchie
User Rank: Traveller

Postby cooly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 pm

haha!!
i agree with alot of the things you guys have said...in relates to GAP Tours though...the one peeve i had was when i was in the Southern Thailand Tour. We had 1 bad apple in the group, she cleary wasnt there for the adventure, she just wanted to party, get drunk, and meet guys. The rest of the group was just put off by this girl and her roomate requested not to be roomies with her anymore, especially when she brought back a guy to their room and locked the other girl out!... lol, Actually there was this other girl in this same group, who didnt get her way this one time she cried like a baby, just a little too immature, but she was cool, she calmed down
cooly

Postby Endless Journey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:05 am

what an interesting thread...

I've met characters, like that Penelope on SNL, they'll cut you mid-sentence to narrate their own 'been-there done-that', and then when you try to say something, they'll shush you

Also, while on the subject, some travellers have no sense of belonging to a group...an example - on one my tours, breakfasts were included. I went one morning and one table was full with members (all solo travellers) of my group. The table of 4 next to it had the couple (from the group) sitting. In a situation like this what's better?, for me to say 'can I join you?' or for them to say 'hey, come join us.' I took some fruit to the other table finished it quickly and took my coffee to go.

On one occasion, while on a free day, I was havng lunch with 2 fellow travellers, when one of our own ran into us. The group is everyone's comfort zone, so no harm in joining, but when the this person did not have small bills to pay for lunch, I offered to pay and be paid later. The money aside, I never even got a word of thanks.

Oh well...
Endless Journey

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs