Most annoying traveller habits?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Most annoying traveller habits?

Postby mrzeszow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 pm

I have been generally very lucky but I have to say my most memorable pet peeves were the 'I wish I was on a different trip' drama queens. The whole time we were in Mexico I kept hearing how she would never choose to stay at such a low class hotel, if it was up to her. She would never choose to eat at such a restaurant. She would never choose to take such a bus (I though they were really amazing :? ).

And reminding us about the number of days till the trip was over and she could go stay at a 5 star resort on the Mayan Riviera. :roll: We all finally asked her why she was even there. The GAP trip description was quite clear what kind of trip this was and it was obviously not her thing. The rest of the group bonded and loved every moment, but she was avoided at all cost.
mrzeszow
User Rank: Nomad

Postby jaycw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:45 pm

WOW This is by far my most favorite topic ever!
Its funny because in a recent posting on another board (which I since have had erased) I mentioned some of the things talked about in here but got an EAR FULL by people saying thank god they didn't travel with me and how I am soooo negative lol
I just think I am honest!
The part I can most relate to is when people in the group start off their sentences with, "when I was in.." ect. While traveling, sure talking about travel experiences is a given and yes a conversation starter. But it gets tiresome, fast!
In the same sort of fashion, I find there is what I call "the travel snob". This breed of traveler I strongly believe is 25% traveling because they enjoy it, but 75% traveling so they can say they have been here and there and done this and that. The more they have done, the more they want to tell you about it and how experienced they are.. and in subtle ways I watch little competitions occur when someone will say they went to Indonesia for example, and of course there is a person who has to casually say.. " yeah I have been there too, but I didn't travel there... -I Lived There-".
Ugh.. so annoying!
You can always tell the people who have traveled a lot and truly experienced the culture and didn't just use the trip to add one more check mark to their "places I've been" list, because they are the people that don't feel the need to rub it in your face that they have done more than you! lmao
jaycw

Postby owena » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I met my most annoying traveller yet on our recent Galapagos tour. It was too hot, the path was too difficult, she knew more about everything than the guide, snorkelling would be too difficult for her OH who wasn't a strong swimmer (nor am I and I was doing it with a life vest and having a ball - I managed to persuade him to have a go during lunch but when it came to the crunch he said 'maybe not I might get cramp!). To top it all we had been paddling in hip deep water with about 30 stingrays swimming around us and were blown away and she says 'if you like rays you must go to the Caymen Islands - it's really cool - they feed the rays with squid and they come right up to you' AAGGHH! Luckily we didnt have to do the whole trip with her as she joined part way through ours
owena
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby terriwelsh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Pet peve - Travelers who won't leave the perfume and cologne at home. And bathe in it.
Being a fellow snorer, I travel with many extra ear plugs for the unfortunate folks who have to deal with it. Then it's up to them to wear the ear plugs or not. I find it's best I can do for a problem I don't have control over.
terriwelsh
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jaycw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:37 pm

I want respond to the comment regarding snoring.
I recently got off a trip and was sharing the room with a loud snorer. Let me assure you that after 24hrs+ of not sleeping due to flights/travelling, there is nothing worse than trying to sleep your first night in a new time zone and being exhausted while some beast rumbles your room!

Ear plugs... haha... ah yes the "faithful" ear plugs. Ear plugs help... kinda.. but they don't stop the vibrations from rumbling which you can still hear. Not to mention the pressure ear plugs can create while stuck in your head all night provides with a lovely morning migrain headache. Not to mention the fact that you hear your own breathing which sounds as though darth vader is whispering sweet nothings into your ear all night!

I am not a baby when it comes to noise, infact my apartment at home is across the street from a fire station and a train station. But I can assure you that nothing is more of an insomnia producer as snoring! It was so bad that I had to sleep on the floor of other travelers' rooms in order to catch a few hours here and there!

Do everyone a favor, be respectful! If you know you snore, get your own room!!
It's not fair to the poor person who has to have their whole vacation somewhat ruined because everyday they are exhausted and moody from not sleeping. If you weren't a smoker and your room mate was, you would insist if they want to smoke in their room, that they get their own right?
jaycw

Postby edg126 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Resurrecting this...

Group photos. Oh let's get a posed group photo tons of times, then have all the people give them their camera. Dude, take one picture and send it to the rest (although a previous poster mentioned people who don't send out photos -- annoying!)

'the group has to stick together' When you are on a bus with 40 people, and everybody just HAS to go to the same restaurant, or bar, etc, or wait for this one person who will be right down. Just break out into smaller groups, I don't want to have to wait.

indecisiveness. Especially when it comes to eating. Looking at 10 different restaurants menu and still not being too sure. I don't want to spend a large portion of my vacation looking for places to eat. Eat at the first place with reasonable prices.

Advice givers. I was on a 3 day tour of southern Ireland, and there was a girl who has been working in Dublin for a month so far, and kept telling me of all these 'tips' of Dublin. I had to keep telling her it's my 4th time to Ireland and have done all the touristy stuff. It wasn't things like, 'oh check out this neighborhood park if you are nearby -- it's awesome' but, 'oh you are having a guinness! You should go to the factory that's in Dublin'. She'd then keep interrupting the tour guide with stupid pieces of information.

Entitled/snobby/inconsiderate tourists. 'I'm on vacation and can't be inconvenienced by things'. Some people on groups will just be a-holes because they feel like they'll never see those people again and don't have to care about offending people feelings. There was a line backed up at an elevator at the hotel of all of our tour group. On the last day of the tour these two guys (who happened to be my roommates in that hotel) saw the line and just shoved their way past everyone into the elevator. WTH!?! The best part was I was the only one with the key so I had a beer in the lobby before heading up to let them in. Hah!
edg126

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 am

edg126 wrote:...There was a line backed up at an elevator at the hotel of all of our tour group. On the last day of the tour these two guys (who happened to be my roommates in that hotel) saw the line and just shoved their way past everyone into the elevator. WTH!?! The best part was I was the only one with the key so I had a beer in the lobby before heading up to let them in. Hah!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby knut 25 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Well, what to say?

A really good topic! Thanx guys for a lot of good advices about what NOT to do before I go on my first GAP trips
;-)
knut 25
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jimshu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:34 am

I wouldn't normally post on negative subjects like this but......

The most annoying traveller habit has just got to be -
The co-traveller who asks to share the wee jar of Marmite that I have travelled halfway around the world with(, just so I can enjoy my favourite slice of toast and Marmite for brekkie).....and then when they use it they suck and lick their knife before knifing more out of MY JAR OF MARMITE!!!!
OOOOHHH UUGH!!!!!
And they had the sniffles!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:41 pm

jimshu wrote:I wouldn't normally post on negative subjects like this but......

The most annoying traveller habit has just got to be -
The co-traveller who asks to share the wee jar of Marmite that I have travelled halfway around the world with(, just so I can enjoy my favourite slice of toast and Marmite for brekkie).....and then when they use it they suck and lick their knife before knifing more out of MY JAR OF MARMITE!!!!
OOOOHHH UUGH!!!!!
And they had the sniffles!

I'm sure Kay would bring her own jar of Marmite if you asked her nicely! :wink: :lol:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby georginal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:24 am

Most annoying travellers habits???

The people that push themsevles to the front of the queue when boarding the plane. No I don't mean the ones that are in wheelchaires/have babies etc, thats fair enough. I mean the ones that just think they should board before everyone else and just push. For what reason?? Why do they worry they're not going to get on, they will if they're at the gate queuing. Get in the queue and wait your turn!!! lol

The ones in the tour that have a problem with it, for whatever reason, missold it, didn't read their itinerary and just complain...and wind everyone else up into process, even worse manipulate others to think the same way...
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby mcb5050 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:30 am

georginal wrote:Most annoying travellers habits???

The people that push themsevles to the front of the queue when boarding the plane. No I don't mean the ones that are in wheelchaires/have babies etc, thats fair enough. I mean the ones that just think they should board before everyone else and just push. For what reason?? Why do they worry they're not going to get on, they will if they're at the gate queuing. Get in the queue and wait your turn!!! lol

The ones in the tour that have a problem with it, for whatever reason, missold it, didn't read their itinerary and just complain...and wind everyone else up into process, even worse manipulate others to think the same way...

usually the ones with lots of carry on luggage so they can take up all the overhead locker space :evil:
mcb5050

Previous

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs