Weird travel stories

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Weird travel stories

Postby jimshu » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Thought it could be fun for us to relate all those weird events that happen in our travels>So this is the place to relate your unexplained experiences.Those strange happenings, or events you witness on your travels.Anyone seen those Indian mystics performing?What about those coincidences that happen on your trails that leave you wondering?
This thread I found interesting, and I wonder if anyone else has been to Rara Avis and experienced similar?http://wateringhole.gapadventures.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=9028&start=0&hilit=spirits

Over here-http://wateringhole.gapadventures.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11031#p46762
I tell of a trailer coupling failure.And I can't even today explain how or why I 'knew' to keep an eye on it!But that eerie feeling was enough to save several people, including my family, from possibly serious injury.

Now there's a lot of you out there will have had experiences that you can't fathom out.Let's hear them.Could be fun.And could be helpful.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Re: Weird travel stories

Postby jimshu » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 pm

LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Well this hasn't gone anywhere?!Come on guys.Surely you have strange tales to confess?
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Okay, okay, I'll crawl out from the woodwork with my possible weird tale. I come from a family of ghost-believers but I am not a believer and usually laugh at them. A couple of years ago my husband and I were in an old castle in France. All through the self-guided tour the staff (in period costumes) had been very friendly and smiled/nodded/acknowledged our presence when we entered rooms. When we got to the top tower we were alone in a huge round room. A door on the opposite side of the room opened, a lady in period costume came out, never even glanced at us as she walked past us and exited through a door behind us. She passed within an arm's length of us. It was creepy because everyone else had been so open and friendly, and we hadn't seen anyone for about 20 minutes as we wound our way higher and higher in the tower, through room after room. Because we had been talking of the things that might have happened in the castle and tower over the years we were already squirrelly. When she closed the door behind her we stared at each other for a second while the hairs stood up on the back of our necks and then we bolted!! She may have ignored us for any number of reasons other than ghostly ones but we weren't waiting to find out apparently. It's pretty funny to us now but we weren't laughing then as we galloped down the stairs!
:oops: :lol:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Mine isn't so much spooky as it is a strange coincidence, but weird nonetheless.

Last summer during the Olympics I was in Malaysia on business, staying at a hotel in Penang (the Equatorial for those that know Penang). I went downstairs at 10pm to watch the opening round of olympic basketball, USA vs. China, and met a nice fellow from LA, also there on business. Since we had a common bond we watched the game together, had a few beers, said our adieus and that was that. Three months later, I'm back at home in Chicago, and I take some clients out to a nice steakhouse in a suburb near where I work. Sure enough, sitting at the bar with clients of his own is the same guy I shared beers with in a hotel bar in Malaysia. What are the odds of that? Small world, indeed...

Oh, I also sat next to Carlos Santana at the hotel bar in Costa Rica (Marriott San Jose, the big one by the airport), only I had no clue it was him until somebody pointed him out after I had vacated my seat. Turns out he was playing a concert in town earlier in the evening. He was just wearing a tshirt and jeans, I thought he was a local!
thecakeisalie

Postby jimshu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Inca Trail50, did you ever find out if that person was staff or not?

Coincidence to meet up like that Thecakeisalie.Reminds me of the time ,end of Dec 2000,loading up our bus for a Cosmos tour of Turkey.And this lady we'd never met yet,says to Kay,"I think I know you".
"No one knows me in the middle of Turkey >"she replies laughingly.
"Oh yes I do.I gave you a set of drinking glasses for your wedding gift way back in Teacher's College!"
Good memory to recognise someone after almost 30 years.!
That was a great trip for us all.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby ballu » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 pm

I was on a hop on/hop off tour of Scotland...I'm from Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario.

My friends and I were hiking around some ruins on the Isle of Skye and saw a guy wearing a University of Waterloo jacket. We all chatted a bit, they were on a tour of the island with us the next day.

A year and a half later, I'm on a flight to Rome and the guy behind me tells me I look familiar and asks, "Hey, were you in Scotland last year?", same guy. I've never seen him around town, just while in Europe. :)
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:55 pm

No we never did, by the time we stopped running we were a long way from the castle! Maybe we'll see a post on here from someone we bolted past on our way out..."I was in this castle in France when two deranged, disheveled people blasted past me, looking like they'd seen a ghost..."
:o

Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby owena » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:19 am

Two years ago we were travelling around the canyons in the USA with some friends. One day we had taken a walk in Canyonlands NP and were just returning to the car park when a lady asked me how far it was to the viewpoint. I couldnt believe it when I heard her voice. It was someone I used to work with who I hadn't seen for about 6 years. We would have walked past each other if she hadn't spoken - you know what's it like - hats pulled down, sunnies on etc. and we certainly didn't expect to bump into anyone we knew out there. Small world and all that
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby mrzeszow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:35 pm

It really is a small world. I always laugh whenever I start the same conversation. The last time was in a small airport in Katowice, Poland (which is NOT a major hub):

"Hey, so where are you from?"
"Canada"
"Me too, I'm from Toronto"
"Me too"
"Oh, so you know the area, I'm actually from the suburbs. I live in {name a city}"
"Me too, where in {name of city}"
"{name an intersection}"
"Okay, small world, I live on {name a street}"
"Me too...."
"Wow, you're the one with the house with the ...."

I have met way too many neighbors over the years everywhere BUT on my street. Never ceases to amaze me.
mrzeszow

Postby lili a » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:21 am

For me there is usually at least one weird story that comes from my travels, but this has so far been my weirdest travel experience thus far:

On my family's second tip abroad we decided to backpack through England. The first half of the trip went fine, but by the time we reached Scotland we were starting to wear on each others nerves. So instead of sitting next to each other on a double decker bus tour of Edinburgh I ended up sitting about halfway back by myself. Since we had arrived to the bus just as the drive and guide went on break we were just sitting admiring one of the first sunny days that we've seen while we waited. The only other person on the bus was an older British woman sitting a row across from me.

I was watching people as they walked the Princes Mall. Suddenly I heard a loud CRACK from behind me. I turned around and see a tall slim man standing in the aisle. The older British woman looked back too. The man dropped some empty vodka bottles, walked to the front of the bus, grabbed the guide woman's purse. Smiled and said "Good afternoon" to my parents and then ran down the stairs and down the block.

It happened so quick that not all parts of what we had just witnessed processed for us. I was thinking "How the heck did that guy get up on the top of the bus? The only stairs are at the front...did he just jump up to the 2nd floor of the bus?" While I was thinking that the British woman said to me "Huh, that was odd. Do you think that was his purse?"

In answer we heard the guide scream and point shouting "My Purse! Stop him", and then see 2 Bobbies start chasing the man as he ran down the block. From the double decker bus we had an amazing view of the proceedings. The Bobbies were very overweight, whereas the thief was very thin with an athletic build. The thief was weaving and because of this the Bobbies were able to catch up. In almost slow motion I see the larger of the two Bobbies leap into the air and tackle the thief. They cuff him and then bring him back to the bus asking us to confirm, yes we did see this man take the woman's purse.

While they were interviewing us, the thief knocked down the other Bobbie and started running away, this time with his hands cuffed behind his back. The two Bobbies pickup the chase and tackle him again.

This time they put him in a police car. But it was an incredibly hot day, so the kindly Bobbies roll one of the back windows halfway down while they finish up taking statements. Since I was finished I went back up to the top of the bus and looked across the street to the police car. In amazement I watch as the thief shimmies himself out of the half-opened window and takes off down the block yet again.

By this point the Bobbies had already called backup and so 5 Bobbies chase down the thief (tackling him yet again.) This time the reinforcements had an armored car. The windows are rolled down, but this car has bars on the windows. With everything set the woman is given her purse back and the tour begins. As we pull away I see the thief has his head already through the bars and trying to squeeze his shoulders through.

The guide was a little shaken and had trouble focusing on telling us things like "Such and Such house was where X famous writer was born" or something like that, but at this point no one was paying attention, as we pull around the corner we hear sirens and see 3 more cop cars heading toward the armored car. The guide just says "Oh dear...I hope he didn't escape again!"
lili a
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby thecakeisalie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:49 am

Wow, great story lili a! And good to hear they caught the guy, at least temporarily! So, how did he get up on top of the bus?
thecakeisalie

Postby jimshu » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 pm

He'd just escaped from a third floor cell window....

What a story.Incredibly hilarious.Loved it.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby rangers23 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:45 pm

We were pretty much in the middle of know where staying in the atacama desert in this tiny village. The power goes off around 9 and it is completely pitch blac,k and are group decides to tell ghost stories (with the old flashlight). There's toilets down the hallway, and we didn't see anyone go in them just heard a noise.So were all thinking what the hell and my mate goes to have a look nothing. Were all staring silently and this poor local woman comes out the toilet and pretty much we all started screaming, pretty much scared her half to death :P.
rangers23
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby samzc68 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm

I went to Peru 2 years ago to get away from the hum drum that was my life (and a for the big 40). On the forum before I left I made contact with another person on the the trip who lived just 15 miles away. Once on the trip there were two more people (also not knowing each other) who lived within 20 miles of me. Out of the 14 on the trip 4 of us were from the same county in the UK ! So much for getting away from home and booking with an international company :lol: Trying again this year !
samzc68
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs