Kili and Safari Pics

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kili and Safari Pics

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am

I recently returned from a Kilimanjaro climb and 5 day Tanzanian safari and thought I would pass along pics if anybody is interested. Climb can be found here, safari can be found here, and some additional shots I've been playing around with can be found here. Sorry for the lack of captions!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Re: Kili and Safari Pics

Postby DanielBMe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Awsome Pictures! The safari pics definitely bring back memories. You got some great ellie pics. That's the one thing I regret about mine. The sun was always behind them and so we couldn't get great pics. I feel like going back just to get those pics I missed lol
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks Daniel. I know how you feel, the pictures don't always do justice to what you saw so I'm already schemeing... er, I mean, planning ways to get back and do it again. I had a camera snafu after day 4 on the mountain, so a lot of my summit pics didn't turn out the way I had hoped, but didn't notice until I got home! Still, I don't think I'm willing to go back and do that again any time soon... :lol:
thecakeisalie

Postby chardonais » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 am

Amazing photos - thank you for sharing. My favorites are always the lions and big cats.

This was the first time I got to pics of the Kili climb. Normally, I've only seen a pic from the top and maybe a campsite. It was nice to see the progression of the climb. Yet another thing on my list of must-do's!

Thanks again.

Dianna

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks Dianna. I should also mention that the route seen in those photos is a bit unconventional, as we took a total of 10 days for the climb, went around the north side of the mountain, and spent a night in the crater at the top. So while most people have pictures of Lava Tower and the Barranco wall, I have pictures of the plains of Kenya... should you be able to see them through the clouds. But hey, if you've seen one rock, you've seen them all, right? :wink:
thecakeisalie

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Great photos! Did you do the safari portion with GAP also? Your accomodations sure look a lot more posh than mine were (a tent, which I pitched). :) Maybe when I return to East Africa once of these days, I'll do a lodge safari too.
kris_nyc

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:20 am

kris_nyc wrote:Did you do the safari portion with GAP also? Your accomodations sure look a lot more posh than mine were (a tent, which I pitched). :) .

Hi kris_nyc,
I actually didn't do the climb or safari with GAP, and for the safari we opted for the "semi-luxury" package instead of the basic camping. I originally wanted to do the basic camping, not only to keep costs down but also to increase the possibility of animal encounters in the evening... I thought it would be great to have potential for animals to wander through the camp! My climbing partners strongly disagreed however, and I acquiesced. Lesson learned: never argue about lodging with women who are apparently allergic to dirt unless you want to be miserable for the rest of the trip, especially when you're outnumbered 2 to 1! In hindsight, after 10 days on the mountain, the tented camps and meal services on the safari felt like pampering, and it was completely worth the extra money. Safari purists may disagree, but we thoroughly enjoyed our adventure, and it was much more relaxing this way than if we would have been truly camping.
thecakeisalie

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs