Namibian Wildlife Sanctuary-my trip review.

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Namibian Wildlife Sanctuary-my trip review.

Postby jimshu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 am

“ My trip review of Namibian Wildlife Sanctuary,Na'an Kuse'. ”

I was wandering,
I was wandering alone,
Longing for roots of my own.
There was no place ,
no place where I could roam,
Is there no one could give me a home?.

Na'an Kuse'.,Na'an Kuse'...

I was shaking
I was shaking with fear.
Caught in this wire poacher's snare.
I was screaming,
I was screaming out in despair,
Is there no one,no one to hear?

Na'an Kuse'...Na'an Kuse"

I was praying,
I was praying today,
Please keep all my children safe.
For taking
For taking that calf for my family,
My life is forfeit,we're just vermin anyway.

Na'an Kuse'..Na'an kuse.
God is watching over,
God is watching over us.
Namibian Wildlife Sanctuary.

First verse is written from the perspective of lions who cannot return to Etosha as the park reckons they(5 ) will upset pride dynamics in the park.These orphans, now fully grown, are living in huge enclosures at Na'an Kuse, as an alternative to them being shot.Why is there no room in the wild for them?

Second verse is for Big Mama, a baboon.She had already lost a foot in a poacher's wire snare.When she came to the Sanctuary,Mama had another snare partially embedded in her flesh around her belly.Soon after she arrived, she gave birth.Now Big Mama is undisputed boss of all 17 baboons.She's an amazing creature.

Third verse reflects the feelings of a cheetah.Whose 4 cubs were caught in a farmer's trap.He incarcerated them in a pit under the trap for 4 days hoping to lure her back in to kill her.When 1 died of Pneumonia, he relented, rang the sanctuary and they came into their care.But mother cheetah had to abandon her cubs, or be shot!

Hope you guys like it.First poem I have ever written.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Re: Namibian Wildlife Sanctuary-my trip review.

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 am

Thank you jimshu. I don't think any other description could have touched me as deeply as this. :cry:

You should write more poems.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby DanielBMe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Hey Jim, very nice poem!

Hope there's more of the trip review to come. I'd really like to hear more about it since I'm considering it.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby jimshu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm

You want more?Don't know how to rhyme cutting up dead donkeys,pigs running around the shower,roosters crowing at 4AM,and baboons peeing on my head.
Guess it will have to be a straight forward narrative then.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby TravelFun » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:06 pm

jimshu wrote:You want more?Don't know how to rhyme cutting up dead donkeys,pigs running around the shower,roosters crowing at 4AM,and baboons peeing on my head.

Now this I'll be looking forward to...plus great poem. I do love the wild cats and sad to hear about the Lions, they have to be in the wild :(
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby ballu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 pm

and baboons peeing on my head

Mostly I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who's been peed on by a primate. It mostly hit my legs though...
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby jimshu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 pm

At the sanctuary you get to walk the baboons...but they get lazy and hop up on your head.Hopefully they have toileted recently.
http://www.ecotourism-namibia.com/volun ... nimal.html
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am

baboons peeing on my head

I hope that's not your remedy for curing baldness ~yikes~
DanielBMe

Postby jimshu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Baldness cure!Must work 'cause at my age I've got more hair than a 30 year old.!
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Here's a bit of a report on the Namibian leg of our recent southern African trip.
We'd met up with 1 daughter in Pretoria, then flew across to Windhoek where NA'an Kuse' had a transfer awaiting we three.Our other daughter was due in from London the following day.
Na'an Kuse' is 30 minutes away from Hosea Kutao Airport and 42 KM's East from Windhoek.Accommodation is in very basic but clean rooms, 2 0r 3 to a room, with a shared shower block.Bushman women keep everything very clean,with toilets, showers, rooms and laundry done daily.
It's an early start,breakfast at 7am and you report for duties at 8am.
Where you a set up in teams, and there's a 4 day work roster.So everyday will see you doing the various chores that keep a sanctuary going.Chores may be in food preparation for the wild range of animals, carnivores,baboons,birds,turtles, sheep,goats etc.Or you could be on the end of pick and shovel digging foundations for a new Bushman School.But if you're really lucky, you get to walk the baboons(on your head!).The Research chore will see you out counting animal spoor.
Most of it's very easy, and interesting.You'll come away with so much more knowledge about all those wonderful animals.The caracals are just beautiful animals.And up close and petting cheetah is a memory you'll treasure forever.They have such a loud purr!
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:16 pm

And you can get to do time in the Bushman school .That is very rewarding.My wife made a dive for that as she really enjoys working with children.Watching those kids sing and dance, I got Jill, the instigator behind the school(She'd come over originally as a volunteer for a few weeks, and set up a basic school for the kids.And came back on a prolonged stay of many months to ensure the school became a viable ongoing operation.She is truly amazing!)to arrange for the kids to do a song and dance performance for the volunteers.I've got their full performance on video.

The sanctuary employ local Bushman wherever they can,so Na'an Kuse' have a greater impact on the community than just looking after animals.

Weekends you get a chance to get into Windhoek for a day.And chores are at a minimum so the time is your own.Or a group event may be prearranged.Now for us there was the paintball and BBQ.But the guns had a problem so that was a fizzer.But there was a curious incident that happened to us.
You may have read some of my posts where I may alude to using your own gut instincts, or inner senses or going with your intuition.And this was such an incident that probably saved a few of us from harm,possibly serious.
We were taken by open Bakkie(Land Rover) and on a trailor to the paintball site.The trailor , large, with tube steel top to allow for a canvas cover,but without that it allowed us to stand up and hang on to that as we were driven along.
Now
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Your poem made me cry.
Even though I know of the difficult struggles between man and beast over the land in Africa, it is just so tragic.

I have been considering volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary in Africa too, so very interested to read of your experiences.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jimshu » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Now as we were boarding the trailor,I noticed that the trailor coupling had new bolts,obviously been recently fitted.
Now I've learned to be aware when some little thing,sticks in my mind.So I climbed on and positioned myself, standing, right in front where I could overlook the drawbar and cast my eyes down across that coupling from time to time.I felt that was important.
No problems off we go.Paintball is a fizzer.BBQ and being out in the country was real great.We'd driven a few KM's along main gravel road, and then a few KM's along a poor dirt bumpy track to get there.
Now on the way back,on the track we go over a small ditch.The drawbar must have come under huge pressure, I look down for the umpteenth time,and behold that 1 bolt has snapped and the trailor coupling was holding by just the other 1!So I yell out to the driver to stop!!!!!!
Now had that final bolt snap when we were travelling at speed on the main gravel road, there would have been an accident, as the drawbar dropped and dug into the ground and we all get catapulted forward onto the road.
Trust your instincts guys.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Sorry Zuleika, our posts crossed.
Yes any info you want just ask.
As to my poem, with a little reworking ,the lyrics now fit a song on 'The Glory Of African Gospel Music' Cd I bought over there.
Incidentally I have been chatting to Claire Johnston, lead singer for South Africa's top group Mango Groove.She's got the lyrics.Don't know if she'll do anything with them.But she's all for wildlife conservation.And she's recorded a CD with John Mhakule and the proceeds go to Elephant research so I'll post a link.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs