Photos from my African adventure (DCN)

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Photos from my African adventure (DCN)

Postby virgogirl22 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:40 pm

I have recently returned home from backpacking around the world for six months, part of which was a 6 week GAP trip from Cape Town to Nairobi in Africa. It was the highlight of our whole trip - can't say enough great things about it!

I have compiled an album of my best photos from Africa, which can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/pgoats2/SlideshowAfrica#

Next up is editing photos from SE Asia/Australia/Fiji! Here's a sample of my favourite African photos...

virgogirl22
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Photos from my African adventure (DCN)

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Wow, those are fantastic! What kind of camera/lens did you use? I really like the B&W images, especially the lioness stalking.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby virgogirl22 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks! I have a Canon DSLR (the "digital rebel XTi") with a 300mm zoom. The zoom is essential for Africa! I had a ton of fun photographing all the animals/people/landscapes along the way... and am very pleased with the results!
virgogirl22

Postby Dean73 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Thank you very much for those ... I'm on my way from Nairobi to Jo'burg this July-August, so the only part I'm missing is from Cape Town to Namibia ... though I've been to Cape Town before.

What a lovely preview that was for me.

I'd love to see the sand dunes too, but I don't have enough time to see everything this summer. The days didn't work out this time around.

If my wildlife pics come even close to yours, I'll be one very happy camper, especially the ones at night. I just got a new SLR myself, I just hope I have enough time to figure it all out before I leave.

Cheers,

Dean
I am afraid what you got a hold of there Mr. Anchovy is an ant-eater. Not a lion. A lion is a great huge savage beast about 5 foot high, 10 foot long, ... with masses of sharp pointed teeth and nasty long razor sharp claws ... and looks like THIS!!
Dean73

Postby kris_nyc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing.
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Endless Journey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:51 pm

wow, you even did nocturnal safaris, still gotta do that

will look out for your Fiji and Oz photos
Endless Journey
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:10 am

Awsome photos! Funny I just posted my East Africa pics roughly the same time as you posted yours. After I came back and looked at my photos I kept thinking "oh I wish I would have done this instead" or framed this differently". Just wondering if you had the same thoughts?

Did you find that you would have been happier with two cameras? One with say an 18-70 and one with a 70-300? I think I would have gotten some better shots as I frequently just didn't have time to switch lenses all the time. Plus it's so dusty out there.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:26 pm

DanielBMe wrote:Awsome photos! Funny I just posted my East Africa pics roughly the same time as you posted yours. After I came back and looked at my photos I kept thinking "oh I wish I would have done this instead" or framed this differently". Just wondering if you had the same thoughts?

Did you find that you would have been happier with two cameras? One with say an 18-70 and one with a 70-300? I think I would have gotten some better shots as I frequently just didn't have time to switch lenses all the time. Plus it's so dusty out there.

It's all about finding the best lens options. When I was in Kenya & Tanzania I had very similar lenses to the ones you mention. I think one was 16-45 and one was 75-300. They worked well, although you're right...there were times when switching was a pain.

I now have a couple of new lenses...an 18-250 lens and a 55-300. The 18-250 is a great all-purpose option, and the 55-300 is my newest, and it's just an upgrade on the older zoom, better materials and such. It is nice to have that little extra reach when you're shooting faraway animals or small animals (I was about the only one in my tour to manage to capture decent photos of the serval cat we saw in the Serengeti, for instance).

Two cameras, so you don't have to switch lenses though? That seems like a lot of extra gear to be carrying around. Maybe if you're going pro, that's the way to go, but that's an expensive proposition...(that said, I do currently own two cameras...I just upgraded to the Pentax K-7, which should arrive in a couple of weeks...but my old K10D is likely to be sold to friends rather than coming on its second African trip).
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby Reditor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Great pics virgogirl! Thanks for sharing....
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:42 pm

DanielBMe wrote:Awsome photos! Funny I just posted my East Africa pics roughly the same time as you posted yours. After I came back and looked at my photos I kept thinking "oh I wish I would have done this instead" or framed this differently". Just wondering if you had the same thoughts?

All the time. I see someone else's shot from where I've been and I say "why didn't mine turn out like that?" Of course, the flip side is that the other person is saying the same thing about your own shots! In the end, that's what makes it so much fun to share our photos, and to keep striving to make them better.
thecakeisalie

Postby AdamfromCanada » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:56 pm

thecakeisalie wrote:

All the time. I see someone else's shot from where I've been and I say "why didn't mine turn out like that?" Of course, the flip side is that the other person is saying the same thing about your own shots! In the end, that's what makes it so much fun to share our photos, and to keep striving to make them better.

Very true. I know that I've taken a lot of nice photos over the last few years. A couple of my friends have even asked if they can have certain ones to decorate their house with...but I often feel a pang of jealousy about other people's pictures...just that they were in the situation to get that picture, or that they did this or that that made it look great.

I find that's even more pronounced with people who've been on my trips. Recently, I was visiting some friends who I met on my trip to Kenya and Tanzania a couple years ago. They went through a quick slide show of a lot of their photos from the trip, and I found there were several that I was jealous that he'd taken instead of me...even though we were shooting the same thing. There's times when I have better shots than him, but you really notice the ones where he captured a shot that I didn't (such as a Hyena jumping over a puddle and coming down in the middle of it...)
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby tchan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Wow! Awesome photos. I am so jealous of your shots. I did the East Africa Loop two years ago. The path has changed slightly since. Unfortunately I did not have an SLR then (only a point-and-shoot), but I do now.

Amazing pics - thanks for sharing!
tchan
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs