Portable Safe?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Portable Safe?

Postby louise67 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 pm

I was looking at this product online and I was wondering if anyone had used it or had opinions on its usefulness. It's basically a small cut-proof bag that you can lock to immovable objects like hotel beds or pipes.

I was thinking that this would be great, as I don't like to carry all of my valuables all of the time but don't trust leaving them with hotel reception.

But what do you think?

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/ca ... p-310.html
louise67
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Portable Safe?

Postby Lynds » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 pm

I've never used anything like this myself, but I have been looking at the various PacSafe products, including the larger slashproof meshes that envelope and attach around the outside of a backpack...

There are two things that I wonder about when it comes to the smaller, TravelSafe100 in particular:

1 - The little brass padlock doesn't look as if it would be too difficult to bust open if someone was intent on removing the bag from any immovable object you may have it anchored to in your hotel room while you're out...

2- The mesh itself is obviously slashproof, but what about the fabric? Couldn't someone technically cut a hole through the fabric in between the mesh wires that would be just big enough to extract any money/bills?

Anyone have any other thoughts or experiences with these things?
Thoughts become things - choose the good ones.
A long life may not be good enough, but a good life is long enough.
Lynds
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 am

lstephen wrote:
Anyone have any other thoughts or experiences with these things?

I used something similar a few years ago on a backpacking trip through Europe. It was a metal mesh bag that you could throw over your pack and lock it, similar in construction to the link above, but much bigger. It was also quite heavy. My friend and I actually only used it once in a month of travel; on an overnight train from Nice to Rome. Did it work? Well, nobobdy tried to steal our bags. But who knows if anybody would have tried even if we didn't have that thing on it. Maybe they act well as deterrents, maybe not.

Personally, I think devices like this tend to be overkill. Some of the example pictures that show it in use just seem to scream "I've got valuables right here in this bag!" If a thief wants it, he'll get it, regardless of steel mesh. Wire cutters would have that thing off the pipe/car seat/etc. in about 2 seconds. And to answer your question, I don't think a thief would waste time trying to cut the fabric and pull out bills... he would just take the whole bag and sort it out later. I believe much better practices would be to simply not draw your attention to your valuables, hide them securely on your person (or in the hotel safe), or simply don't carry them around.

Bottom line is use your head, and if you still feel the need to purchase this after weighing the pros and cons, that's your call. Just don't let fear make the purchase for you.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Fri May 01, 2009 6:25 am

I think it gives a false sense of security, it definately points to 'here are my valuables!'
If someone cut this they would be away with everything. I always split my money, cards etc up so I dont lose everything in just one hit if something does happen.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ballu » Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I used one for a recent trip to Africa...mostly because I had to have over $1000 USD on me for 4 weeks in "shared accomodations" in Uganda. The shared accomodations ended up being a fairly safe apartment but it gave me a little piece of mind. I probably wouldn't use it for a normal trip, in fact I'd be afraid I'd lock it to a bed frame or in the closet and forget to take it when I go. I usually just use the hotel safe.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Travel Tips