Extra security net for INSIDE your luggage / backpack

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Extra security net for INSIDE your luggage / backpack

Postby robvann » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm

I decided to create an INTERNAL security mesh net for my backpack while traveling in areas that have problems with "opportunistic" crime.
I looked at the wire mesh that GAP sells for the outside of a backpack or luggage, but I didn't like that attention that it draws to my bag. (Kinda seems like a red flag to a bull)
I made my mesh protection out of heavy gauge plastic snow fence from our local hardware store. The edges are stitched together using 1/16" aircraft cable wire, which also provides TSA access using a small lock.

Two photos are at:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/09042215/ze0nfyqf49/
Unfortunately this link is only good for 30 days.
I was not able to directly upload two images to this message, but if I figure that out I will replace the above link.

I also use a short length of the aircraft cable that can discretely attach the security net contents to an anchor (while sleeping in open areas, etc.). It should provide a layer of protection against knife cuts, but not stop a determined thief.

Best regards, Rob from Canada
robvann
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Extra security net for INSIDE your luggage / backpack

Postby roofie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:32 pm

neat. I love DIY stuff, especially when it's much cheaper than the comercially available solutions (like travelsafe's own backpack with integrated wires).

have you thought about something similar for your pockets? most people I've met that've been "slashed" only had cuts on shirt and trouser pockets never their bags...
roofie
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby avonord » Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 pm

I was going to try out your idea yesterday. I went to Home Depot and tried to look for those orange fence materials. It turns out that they only sell them by the roll, and it's $18 each. :( So, I didn't get it.

But the 1/16" aircraft cable gave me a great idea. My day pack is great, except that its zipper pulls are made of fabric. That makes them difficult to lock/secure. (Backpack zippers are inherently insecure. They can be opened using any sharp objects. But I generally like to secure them while walking through busy streets just to add a LITTLE bit of security.) I bought a few feet of those aircraft, and started cutting 3" segments out of them. Then I tie them through the zippers and bind both ends of each one with metalic sleeves.

avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby billhuston » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:16 am

I am going to attempt using pet-proof screen material.

Is the concern that they slash the fabric of the backpack?

If so, this should help solve that I hope. It is a polyester material wrapped in nylon. If I attach it somewhat loose inside I figure it will give. This should make it difficult to cut through both layers I would think.

However, a friend of mine said the problem is slashing the straps. I think my Eagle Creek backpack has heavy duty enough straps to protect me from this. But, I would be interested in suggestions.
billhuston

Postby avonord » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:41 am

Slashing straps? My backpack has 4 around my body. Kinda tough to slash, would it?

I came up another security solution earlier last week. They sell rain jackets for backpacks at MEC. If you cover up your backpack with one of those, the thief wouldn't know exactly what he's dealing with and (I think) would be less likely make you a target.

Last edited by avonord on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
avonord

Postby ballu » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:24 am

My general thoughts? If someone wants your pack badly enough, they'll get it. The biggest worry are thiefs looking for a quick and discreet grab. The harder you make it for them, the less likely they'll grab something from you. I don't think it takes much. Clip together the zippers in your pack so I hand can't get in there to grab something. My daypack has a chest and waist strap...I use them in busy places so someone can't easily grab it from behind and run off.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Travel Tips