An Old Fart on your GAP Adventure??

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: An Old Fart on your GAP Adventure??

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Ok, here is why I love "experienced" (not old :lol: ) people:
My dad hiked in the woods and snow into his 70s.
He chopped his own wood and stoked his woodstove-heated house into his 70s.
Drove his snowmobile into a tree at 69, broke the faceplate on his helmet, cut his face, tore muscle in his shoulder but INSISTED they prop his injured body back on the machine and send him on his way with his one good hand, no big deal, he'd be fine :shock: Soaked in the hot-tub to recover, no hospital for him! He survived a head-on with a gun carrier during the war, what was a little tree collision?
My mom and stepfather (in their 80s) spend time every day on MSN talking to their kids, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. Seize the technology!
My grandma bought a snowmobile with her old age pension at 65. Seize the speed!
She curled (the dangerous on-ice game) until she was 84. Seize the trophy!
She delivered "Meals on Wheels" to old folks until she was 88 :o walking up three flights of stairs in her Nike crosstrainers to see the "old folks" who were probably in their 70s. Seize the leftovers!
She lived in her own home until she was 98. At her 90th birthday, when we gathered the many generations together for a picture she blushed and said "This all started with me? We had such FUN starting it all :oops: ." Seize the - wait - questionable image!
My neighbour's dad was married to his first wife for 56 years, his second for 12 years, and is (WOW :o ) four years into his fourth marriage (which started when he was 98!). Seize the bouquet!
If I can live HALF the life my wonderful role models have lived then I will be truly blessed. If you are wandering around here and asking about traveling then I think you are probably ahead of many who don't even know such travel exists. I hope to see you in MY travels. You ROCK! My dad's favourite line "I know it will be a GREAT day if I wake up on the right side of the grass!"
Carpe diem!
(And I'm no spring chicken myself...did my first hike two years ago on the Inca Trail to celebrate my 50th birthday- better old than never :D )
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby voidczech » Wed May 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Bigfeet ......

What's the verdict? Have you made your decision? Trekking with the adventurers or strolling Europe?

- Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby earth222 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 am

Ok Old Fart! Two of us ripened travellers are on January and February trips. If you haven't taken a GAP since your first post then join us! 65+ seasoned and raring to go. Otherwise, if you have adventured on a GAP please tell us here; we would love to hear all about it. :D :D :D :D
earth222
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby chriso » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi Old Farts and Wanna Be OF's !

My wife and I are both looking forward to our GAP trip this February (Bolivia Crossing) and we hope that we are not the only grey haired ones on the tour !
It doesn't matter though really because OF's rule - ha ha.
We have been traveling for 40 years with a backpack cause that's often the best way to go.

Bon Voyage.
chriso

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:31 pm

I have a cousin who has traveled the rainforests and savannahs and deserts of the world and his wisdom is "I can see the Louvre in a wheelchair". He is in his 60s and still wanders remote areas. Backpackers ROCK! When the time comes I will move to a walker (thanks, Jalisco Judy!) and then a wheelchair for the more routine, mundane tours! Until then, my backpack carries my essentials and I will imagine myself to still be in my 20s which is when I should have started this kind of travel! Carpe diem!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby congo55 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:33 pm

I am now 77 and last year enjoyed the overland GAP tour Cape Town to Victoria Falls. The year before that at age 76 I successfully hiked the Inca Trail in Peru with GAP. My message being you are never too ancient to enjoy these tours - some qualifications you need though = a sense of fun, wonder and adventure; willing to learn and adapt with laughter to all situations whether good or bad. Good health and reasonably fit <being overweight or a smoker might impair your attempts to visit some unique sites and destinations>
Be positive, friendly to all and make a point seeing everything possible and meeting as many people as you can in your travels to different countries.
I have used the SAS motto "Who Dares - Wins" all my life and have now visited 123 countries around the world (the last 4 with GAP who still rank me as a 'day tripper'!?)
Enjoy life and remember you are never too old to enjoy adventure travel. Go for it! Andy
congo55

Postby ballu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Congo55,

Sounds like you've had some great adventures! The whole "day tripper" ranking is just a reflection on the number of posts you've made on this board. The more you share your travel stories and advice with us the higher in the ranks you'll rise :)
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby voidczech » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am

I have used the SAS motto "Who Dares - Wins" all my life and have now visited 123 countries around the world (the last 4 with GAP who still rank me as a 'day tripper'!?)

Congo55, you are now officially my travelling idol! I only wish I have a chance to visit all the places you have! Hopefully I haven't started my adventures too late.... I'm 36 and have only seen 29 countries ...

- Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech

Postby owena » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:41 pm

We are both in our mid fifties and don't consider ourselves old at all (I do like the term 'experienced' though!) However, we have just been informed that we have been moved off the Galapagos trip that we have already paid for as GAP are now having that for 18-39 year olds. True we have been upgraded to another boat but I am still smarting at the ageist approach. To top it all we have also been informed today that we won't be staying in the hotel that we have already paid for as GAP no longer have a contract with them! I am seriously begining to wonder about this company - any reassurance would be welcomed

thanks Anne
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby sinecure » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Anne,

Gap is allowing people to be on their originally booked tour, please contact them via telephone if this is what you'd like to do. There will be some growing pains as GAP implements the new YOLO tours.

Hotels can change based upon a large number of factors, the most important of which is feedback from previous GAP customers.

I hope we get you over the bumps and you have a great trip!
Sinecure
sinecure

Postby cindy1411 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:06 am

On my recent GAP trip to Japan, we had a mostly mid-late 20s group, with a few 'oldies.' You would never know they were of a different age - they were enthusiastic and active. Our group really bonded well both as a group and with our leader Keiko (she was awesome).
I don't think anyones is too old for GAP as long as they keep in the spirit!

You know what sounds even more boring than classic gardens and castles - cruising on one of those 'space ships' down the rivers in Eastern Europe. What a yawn!
cindy1411

Postby owena » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks sinecure - have gotten over my strop now and am just looking forward to the trip.
owena

Postby flourgirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I went to Galapagos recently, when I was 25. There was an Australian couple in their late 60s (the guy'd had a quad bypass a few years before with scars to prove it) and an American guy who was 71. The trip was pretty active and they kept up really well....actually the 71-year-old kicked our asses. But more importantly, they were so interesting and vibrant and had so many stories to tell. It was inspiring and I absolutely loved having a well-rounded group.
flourgirl

Postby sandi0205 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Well Old Fart! this is a late answer however my husband and I 66 & 67 took two trips with GAP this year; one in India for 15 days and the Indochina 29 day tour. On the India tour there were I believe 7 of us in our age range and the Indochina there were I believe 4 in their 60's and three in 50's - both trips remainders were in 20's. They were very accommodating and we had a ball. Nothing but good things to say.
sandi0205

Postby nytim » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:39 pm

I shall be 62 this year and I have been travelling solo for the last 10 years -- kids are grown and the wife likes luxury and hate chaos. My trip to India this year with GAP, will be my first organized trip I have ever taken. But, in my travels over the decade, I have been to India twice, Turkey twice, Vietnam twice, Cambodia, Hong Kong and South Korea. I met very interesting younger and older people. I met a few whiners and moaners of all generations in my travels -- the worst were the English and the Yanks. I guess I am an old fart but I am fitter than most of those younger rascals I encountered on my travels. Age does bring experience not only aches and pains.
nytim
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tips