TSA Locks

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

TSA Locks

Postby erinsaimre » Mon May 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has used TSA locks in Africa or London? I know that the TSA baggage inspectors have keys to unlock them in the US. Just wondering if it is worth it to purchase a lock for my checked bag if I am connecting via London and on to South Africa. Won't be packing anything valuable or irreplacable, but would like reassurance that no one is rifling thru my knickers etc.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Erin
erinsaimre
User Rank: Traveller

Re: TSA Locks

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi..I haven't used them in London or Africa but locking your bag will not ensure your skivvies are safe...our daughter's TSA lock was cut off on our return to Toronto from Peru, via El Salvador. Whoever cut it off placed it inside her backpack when they were done, I suppose to let us know they'd searched the bag. Nothing was taken, but the lock was ruined. On a recent trip to Seattle from Toronto my husband's TSA lock was stolen :shock: I had heard they usually place a note inside the bag to let you know they'd searched but not in this case. This was a particularly nice TSA lock that he'd received at an engineering conference so I suppose someone took a fancy to it.

Hhmmm...it appears your skivvies might be safe...all we've lost in our travels are our TSA locks :lol: On the bright side, replacement TSA locks can be purchased extremely cheaply if you travel a lot and need to replace them at a rate of several per year!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby erinsaimre » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks for info Inca Trail! I just might have to bring all my undergarments in carry on and hope for the best with my checked bag. Maybe the sight of a fancy lock makes people think there are goodies in the bag? I'll stick with my beat-up looking travel bag sans lock and hope for the best! :roll:
erinsaimre

Postby colduphere » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:55 pm

An alternative to the TSA locks are zip ties. You'll know when someone has been in your bag. They are inexpensive and available at almost any hardware store.
colduphere

Postby sanju121 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:59 am

Do the locks need to be TSA locks if we're not flying in? I have a bunch of older locks that came with my suitcases prior to the air restrictions. We're driving in (no air travel). Do we still need to use TSA locks or will old-fashioned luggage locks works?
sanju121
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Travel Tips