Travel Insurance

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel Insurance

Postby Sheltie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi all

I'm hoping to go on one of GAP's trips this year but unfortunately the one I would like to go on is not guaranteed.

I had a look at STA's travel insurance to see what cancellation cover they have. According to the terms they will only pay out if the trip has to be cancelled due to ill health, jury duty etc.

Does anyone know of any company that offers travel insurance that would cover the costs of my flights and tour cost if the GAP trip was not to go ahead?
Sheltie
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby careau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:31 pm

You can try to find an insurance company, but I doubt that`s the kind of stuff that insurances cover. Good Luck.

I think your best shot is with the airline buy a cancellable/reschedulable ticket, but that comes at a premium $$$.

When I book non-guaranteed trip, I either have a plan B in case of cancellation or wait until it`s confirmed before I book the flight.

Hope your plans work out.
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby littleengine » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:17 am

You should be offered insurance when you purchase the trip with GAP... when I booked, they offered to send me quotes though I ended up going through the travel agency I booked my flight with. It was a bit more expensive than what GAP was offering, but it also appeared to be a bit more comprehensive. Just be careful... I think you have to purchase some types of insurance (I think it's the cancellation package, but don't quote me) within 2 days of booking the trip. If you wait longer to get it, you wouldn't be able to get coverage.
littleengine
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby brooklyn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:01 pm

In case anyone is still looking for an answer to this type of question, for 18 days in India I just got insurance through "Travel Ex" for about $130 (USD). This covers the $200k medical required by Gap. It also covers trip cancellation, including my airfare (which I did not buy through Gap). For an addition $25 or so you could also add the ability to cancel your trip due to a work-related conflict or work termination, but I opted not to add this.
brooklyn

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby Zuleika » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Just one thing I would like to add - my parents just bought their travel insurance and while they were doing so just happened to ask if it would cover cancellation or costs caused by a pandemic - ie swine flu - it didnt!!! So they cancelled and found one that did.
Something to think about especially as the pandemic is supposed to reach its peak in October.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips