Travel Insurance .. GET IT

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel Insurance .. GET IT

Postby davidpreutz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:37 am

I'm posting my reply to a previous topic as a new topic in case anyone has any queries.

Make sure you DO have cover and do NOT believe the diagnosis from the local hospital.
We're currently in Costa Rica where my partner required emergency and vital spinal surgery after an accident. Our insurers - UK based and international sent us to a clinic in SJ. 3 hrs later after the assessment and endless form filling in I was informed there was a major problem with the local agent (Mapfre Panama, who I suspect may well be the agent for all of Central America) and was given the choice of finding $15000.00 there & then for her to be admitted or go out and find my own local hospital after paying $1800.00 for the scans and assessment. Not quite what you want, or expect to hear after a stressful incident when you have paid for your insurance cover to alleviate problems such as this. It felt like blackmail and was akin to extortion.
That said, our GA guide Adriana has gone way over and above the call of duty and we love her, along with her collegue Samantha.

To sum up: You must have cover or be very rich. From this experience; check with your insurers that the local/regional office does not have any untoward problems with any clinic you may require in the countries you're visiting. And finally, keep a very accurate account of all expenses incurred & all receipts. These are insurance companies you're dealing with, you will be surprised what they won't pay for. So be prepared for long drawn out arguments on return to you home country.
Remember, they give out umbrellas when it's sunny & demand them back when it starts raining.
davidpreutz
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Travel Insurance .. GET IT

Postby davidpreutz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 pm

One final warning...... as I've just discovered.

Be prepared to be held to ransom by the admin of the hospital to have your bill paid before you can leave. A Guarantee of Payment ain't worth the paper it's written on.
In my case it looks like me doing it once again. :-((((((((
davidpreutz

Return to Travel Tips