DUKORAL for Traveller's Diarrhea/Cholera ??

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: DUKORAL for Traveller's Diarrhea/Cholera ??

Postby nursesara » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Ill give you an idea of the pharmacology of the drug... basically to combat the travellers diarrhea, the drink attaches to the ecoli receptors in ur stomach, and therefor if you eat something with ecoli, it has nothing to bind to in your stomach and just passes through...
nursesara
User Rank: Daytripper

Re:

Postby nikimarcotte » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Zuleika wrote: I always clean my teeth in the tap water - some say small exposure kick starts the antibodies although I dont know if this true but it works for me, .

You may be tempting fate. In Fiji, a fellow traveller didnt' heed the warning "don't even brush your teeth in the water" and ended up with salmonella and 2 other fecal coliforms....that is the only thing we did different, eating the same food and drinks. Sandy areas don't filter the ground water very well, so fecal matter percolates directly down into the water source. if the locals say "don't brush your teeth with it, or shower with your mouth open", you probably want to take them at their word.
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm with you nikimarcotte. If I have options, I play it safe and stay away from tap water. Getting sick is the last thing I want to do when I travel -- especially on a tour where I have to be on the move and keep up with a group.
JaliscoJudy

Postby sinecure » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 pm

going for our 3rd Dose tonight.
sinecure

Re: Re:

Postby Zuleika » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

nikimarcotte wrote:
Zuleika wrote: I always clean my teeth in the tap water - some say small exposure kick starts the antibodies although I dont know if this true but it works for me, .

You may be tempting fate. In Fiji, a fellow traveller didnt' heed the warning "don't even brush your teeth in the water" and ended up with salmonella and 2 other fecal coliforms....that is the only thing we did different, eating the same food and drinks. Sandy areas don't filter the ground water very well, so fecal matter percolates directly down into the water source. if the locals say "don't brush your teeth with it, or shower with your mouth open", you probably want to take them at their word.

mmmm more likely they didnt wash their hands properly before eating and passed bugs that way, just think of all the manner of things you touch all day long! - I cleaned my teeth with tap water in Fiji just fine with no ill effects.
But really I guess we shall never know and this topic/theory will go on and on and on......
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby cdnhorse » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:53 am

I have been to Mexico about a dozen times now. Every single time I have been, I have suffered some degree of GI upset ranging from being a little "loose" to overtly sick with nausea and diarrhea severe enough to confine me to my hotel room. This last time that I went (Jan 09) I took Dukoral, and can say that I was absolutely GI symptom free this time. Absolutely no change in my GI tract whatsoever throughout the entire duration of the trip. This was really impressive in view of the fact that hubby and I were probably the most adventurous that we have ever been in terms of eating out in tiny little local restaurants. So I am convinced that the stuff really works, and we will definitely be redosing with it again for our trip to Costa Rica coming up in January.
cdnhorse
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby IndyGent » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:57 am

I guess it has always worked for me because I've never had a problem after taking DUKORAL.
I think it tastes like raspberry soda. Not really all that terrible.
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby snozberry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:31 pm

there are numerous different viruses/bacteria which can cause gastroenteritis (or nausea, vomiting, diarrhea).

dukoral is supposed to help with e choli and vibrio chlolerae. there are still other viruses that can cause diarrhea... i think it would be beneficial to take it, as it does have about a 50% effectiveness. i have a pretty strong stomach, but i absolutely hated the taste of it. i mean, it isn't needed.. but i would prefer to have at least some immunity against having wicked diarrhea during a trip. on previous trips i have gotten mild diarrhea, but your body is also adjusting to different foods and that can also be the cause. i'll be taking it again for my upcoming trip to egypt.

viruses can be passed in things such as food, so even with lots of handwashing, you can still get it.
snozberry

Postby voidczech » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:29 pm

I never go anywhere without taking Dukoral.... and yes, I run my toothbrush under the tap and use ice cubes... no problems....

- Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Previous

Return to Travel Tips