DUKORAL for Traveller's Diarrhea/Cholera ??

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby BC_GROWN » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:51 pm

I took it for africa worked for me i think>? you cant relay tell if you get sick what its from, but im sure it helps! i did get the shits but that was from drinking beer out of the truck cooler that had very bad water in it and i did not clean the can off!!

So ALWAYS CLEAN YOUR CANS OFF BEFORE YOU DRINK :)
BC_GROWN
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby jboots » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:38 am

I took it and still became sick as a dog in Thailand. Save your money for some Imodium, charcoal tablets and yoghurt!!
jboots

Postby daydreamer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Okay, so I did end up taking it and I never had any emergencies. I think all the spicy food in SE Asia made me a little "irregular" but I never had to run to the toilets. A couple other people in my group had some uncomfortable moments though.
daydreamer
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Dukoral

Postby mytwoleftfeet » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:30 pm

I took Dukoral for my 10 week latin america trip. I did not find the taste bad, kinda like a variation of alka-seltzer.

I joined two groups during my trip for 8 weeks and 2 weeks on my own. I never had any issue with the "runs". In my both groups, I was the only one who did not experience the "runs", mind you I was also careful about what I ate (and so did most people in the group, even our tour leaders had the runs, lol!). So I am assuming, it helped. According to my travel doctor, it's not going to prevent diarrhea however what it does is it lessens the severity compared to not having the oral vaccine at all. As a plan B, I took Cipro with me which I never did use.

Also remember that Imodium which is what most people carry with them, does not cure diarrhea, it merely "plugs" the symptoms. Some people I travelled with, took it when we had to take long bus journeys. On the Inca Trail, a couple of people I travelled with just let their system expel it rather than take Imodium.
"The funny thing about the rat race is even if you win, you are still a rat" - - - read this somewhere. :0)
mytwoleftfeet

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 pm

I never heard of Dukoral so this was interesting to read and I may ask my doctor about it.

How ever, I find THE sure fire, main way of contracting a dose of the runs is nearly always personal hygiene.
Take a small bottle of alcohol hand gel - available in most pharmacies - and use it before every meal and after every toilet stop. Partic on camping or safari trips where hand washing is limited.

I rarely get sick even when we all eat the same food and others get sick - I reckon this just goes to show doesnt it??

How ever I do usually pack ciprofloxacin for 'just in case' cant get too blase about it either!
Last edited by Zuleika on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Gazoo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:54 am

Hi there,

I just wanted to clarify a few things. Dukoral protects from E Coli and Cholera. You can get diarrhea from many different bacterias. I don't think that personal hygiene can protect you from ingesting infected food or drinks. Yes, it's important to wash your hands but you also need to watch what your eating and how it was cleaned if it was. Dukoral is a good vaccine and I've used it a few times myself but it's not a guarantee against having diarrhea. You could get Salmonella and have diarrhea... You know what I'm saying!

Happy travels
Gazoo
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Zuleika » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:09 pm

mmmmm seems as though the jury is still out on this one then, as some of you say it doesnt actually protect against all causes of diarrhoea. Is it likely then that this could lure people into a false sense of security and then they be less careful than usual???

I think seasoned travellers obviously have their tried and tested methods for keeping well, and others can learn from them on sites like this one.

For myself, I dont worry about what I eat or drink as this is all part of the travel experience for me, however I am vegetarian, dont know if that makes a difference, I always clean my teeth in the tap water - some say small exposure kick starts the antibodies although I dont know if this true but it works for me, and I take alco hand gel. I have travelled extensively in all continents - my travel gap year turned into nearly 3 and since then lived/worked in India for 6 months. And I have only needed cipro about 3 or 4 times and been well the rest of the time - maybe Im just very lucky!!
Obviously I wouldnt advocate what works for me for everyone, we each have to find our way. If this drug works for you then thats brilliant.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby sinecure » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

The main protection offered by Dukarol, is from Cholera. It offerers mild protection from some E-Coli.

Being a vegetarian offers no protection, since fruits and vegetables can be cleaned or injected with infected water.

Travel Smart,
Sinecure
sinecure

Postby Zuleika » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Agreed, but does ANYONE actually know of anyone who has actually ever contracted Cholera??? Although I submit it may very well go undiagnosed in Westeners.

Also, sorry to disagree but being vegetarian, somewhat reduces exposure to salmonella, campylobacter, botulism, E coli, toxoplasmosis, etc etc etc - all transmitted by meat! All capable of giving a bad dose of Diarrhoea. (Although Im not a veggie for this reason)
I've seen kitchens in India Thailand and Vietnam where raw meat is sat in the sun all day before being prepared and cooked in the evening. mmm!
Zuleika

Postby roofie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Zuleika wrote:I've seen kitchens in India Thailand and Vietnam where raw meat is sat in the sun all day before being prepared and cooked in the evening. mmm!

yes and I've seen "kitchens" where the raw/untreated veggies came into contact with said tasty meat ;)
roofie
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:53 am

ooo YUK!
But somehow dosent surprise me!
Zuleika

Postby roofie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:00 pm

Zuleika wrote:ooo YUK!
But somehow dosent surprise me!

yes, so while meats then might be fried/boiled pretty hard, veggies are left alone with all yummy bacteria :D
roofie

Postby Zuleika » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Weren't the veggies cooked too??

Also - about fruits/salads washed in the water - all your plates and cutlery are washed in same said water.

You cant win - might as well just eat everything and anything, hope for the best and take the prerequisite medicines with you! Chances are the bug wont come from your food anyway.

P.S. Intersting fact - Did you know that if you order 'meat' stew in Vietnam its horse meat???
Last edited by Zuleika on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Zuleika

Postby amazon0313 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Meh. Horse meat, rabbit, cui, do as the locals IMO. (But then I'll try anything once!)

I try to be smart about foods (in addition to hygeine) when travelling. I haven't been sick yet. I opted against the vaccine. It was pretty expensive and I just didn't see the value in it. I do have a script for cipro to fill before I leave. And I have immodium platinum (or whatever the "ultra" one is called. The additional medicinal ingredient is to help with bloating I believe.) The only downside is that by the time you're using the cipro and immodium you're already feeling it.

My best friend always opts for it. She has a touchy stomach and gets sick easily even back home. So for her, any extra protection is worth it.
amazon0313

Postby c_ibis » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:24 pm

I hope I don't get sick when I go to Costa Rica. I know friend of mine who went trekking in Nepal, got the runs badly for 2 days from eating in Katmandu. He had to still trek....so it must have been hard. But he did bring some type of antibiotics to stop it..cypril maybe? I think good to bring something just in case. He did say it helped it go away..thought the first day was h***!

I've tried horse meat from a friend here in Canada, not kidding you!! Ummm, not my fav meat, but I am not a meat lover anyways, but it was ok..not something I'd buy. Can't believe that you can get it in Canada.

Carolyn:-)
c_ibis

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tips