Staying cool in extreme heat

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Staying cool in extreme heat

Postby co2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi!

I'm visiting Eastern Turkey in August which I've been warned is extremely hot at that time of year. My Irish blood is usually too thick for extremes of heat like that but I'm determined not to let that stop me! Does anyone have any practical suggestions for staying cool?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
co2
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Staying cool in extreme heat

Postby lesliew » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm

When I went to Africa I got overheated and felt really ill - one thing that helped a great deal was a neck cooling scarf. I think you can find them in several brands. You wet it and put it around your neck - it'll stay wet and keep you cool for hours. Another thing that helped was wearing a sun hat that had been dunked in cold water. And of course, stay hydrated!

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby desiree2 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:06 am

Hi
I agree with leslie about the neck thing and the hat thing. I also suggest wearing loose clothing that covers your arms (or at least upper arms) and wearing sunblock. I like to take an umbrella for portable shade, but use whatever shade is available. Maybe try to keep your sightseeing to mornings and afternoons/evenings so you're not out in the midday sun.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby lesliew » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 am

Another thing that helped me cool off immediately when I started to feel overheated was to remove my socks. I don't know what shoes you plan on wearing (you may need socks if you are doing alot of walking) but surprisingly I felt noticeably cooler without socks.

lesliew

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Make sure you drink lots of water and something like Powerade for the electrolytes.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby lesliew » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Yes, Daniel is right, definitely take electrolyte powder with you! When I got dehydrated and just drank water, it wasn't enough and I felt faint (well, I actually DID faint, but that's another story...). Once I started drinking the electrolytes, I felt much better.

lesliew

Postby belihann » Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 pm

I've been to Eastern Turkey late June and it was hot then. In addition to previous suggestions, wear easy to dry, loose, light colored clothing.
belihann

Postby celial » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 pm

I just got back from a Peru trip that included 2 miserable (for me) days in the Amazon jungle. I wish I'd thought to wet my scarf! I also wished I'd brought the small hand-held battery-operated fan I left home. http://www.magellans.com/personal-travel-fan-35475
celial

Return to Travel Tips