Platypus or Water bottle for Inca/Amazon

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Platypus or Water bottle for Inca/Amazon

Postby emerg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:57 am

Hi all
I am doing the Amazon to Andes tour at the end of may and just would like some advice for water vessels to bring while on the trail (well, lares) and in the jungle. I've heard that boiling water is supplied daily in camp while on the inca trail and just wondered if that can be put in a platypus and if sterilisation tablets are still a good idea. Or should I just go with a wide mouth nalgene and lob some sterilising tablets in there?

Any advice appreciated!
thanks
emerg
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Platypus or Water bottle for Inca/Amazon

Postby emerg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

Whooops!
Ignore me! I just saw the mega inca trail advice posts now,
sorry
emerg

Re: Platypus or Water bottle for Inca/Amazon

Postby graybeard » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm

OK. Still a good question. As to which type of h20 container -- that is a personal choice. I like having my platypus in my day with the hose over my shoulder. I keep better hydrated that way. The usual nalgene bottle also works fine. Yes, there is boiled h2o supplied by the cooks on the trail. No one in our group had any problems. But one does read about folks who claim they got sick from the trail water. So, if you want to be extra cautious, the tabs do work. Just make sure you have something to make the taste palatable.

While in the Amazon the lodges we were at had big jugs of filtered h2o available to fill your canteen. Again, no problems.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tips