Clueless about Travel Medical Insurance

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Clueless about Travel Medical Insurance

Postby vermontcathy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi there. I am about to book my first G.A. tour (Ecuador Multisport) and I am totally clueless about the required Travel Medical Insurance. Some people seem to mention that they have it automatically through their credit card or bank. I checked my credit card, and it has travel cancellation insurance, and some insurance that will pay you (or your kin) if you loose a limb, an eye, etc., or die on a trip. Also some lost baggage insurance. But that's it.

Any suggestions of where/how I should shop for Travel Medical Insurance? My husband and I are US citizens, and have standard health insurance though my work (Blue Cross Blue Sheild, but it doesn't mention anything about emergency services overseas).
vermontcathy
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Clueless about Travel Medical Insurance

Postby graybeard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:47 pm

In all likelihood your current medical insurance will not cover anything outside the US. But it wouldn't hurt to check with your company.But since G does require emergency evacuation insurance, you will need to purchase it.

A good online resource is Squaremouth.com. Strange name, I know, but they do a good job of getting quotes from a number of different companies. Be sure to look at each company's small print for the "gotcha's".
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lesliew » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:04 pm

For both of my G trips, I've just booked the travel medical insurance through G. When you book, they will ask you if you'd like them to quote you travel insurance. You may be able to get a better deal by shopping around, but honestly the insurance I've gotten through them was a reasonable rate plus I had peace of mind knowing that I was buying the exact required coverage.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby desiree2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 am

Hi
I agree with greybeard about checking the fine print - especially when sporting activities are part of your tour.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby graybeard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 am

A brief comment on the Trip Insurance I've been offered by G... while the price was right, the policies that were offered were for Canadian citizens with the assumption that you had coverage by their national health plan. This was not made clear to me by G and I realized it only when I read the small print.
graybeard

Postby lesliew » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 pm

I am American and was able to use the policies offered by G. In the fine print of my policy, it said there are different coverage amounts depending on whether you have a Canadian health plan or not.

lesliew

Postby campfiresavage » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 pm

You should be able to get medical on your credit card as well as the cancellation etc. Coverage through gadventues is just as easy. No matter who you are insured with there can be exclusions for pre existing conditions and other activities. ..like if you go scuba diving, mountaineering or parasailing... you *may* not be covered anyway.
campfiresavage
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby meeting_eiffel » Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Be careful with credit card coverage, because as you listed, it covers you for loss of limb...but what if you just need stitches or have a gastro issue? From what I have seen, unless you have a specialized travel credit card, most are bare minimum policies and aren't much good.
Like everyone else has said, check the fine print.
A policy is only as good as what you can claim for.
If it's cheap - check what the claim reasons are...they are likely minimal and are difficult to get any compensation from, which = useless.
meeting_eiffel
User Rank: Weekender

Postby wunderluster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:36 pm

I also recommend SqaureMouth.com we bought our travel medical insurance through them & it was very reasonable & easy to understand. You can select policies to compare side by side & you can really make an informed decision. I sent myself the quote on email & when I was ready to buy I was happy to note that the link from the email took me directly to the policy & had all my info pre-populated. Made the purchase very easy :mrgreen:
wunderluster

Postby davidpreutz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:26 am

Make sure you DO have cover and do NOT believe the diagnosis from the local hospital.
We're currently in Costa Rica where my partner required emergency and vital spinal surgery after an accident. Our insurers - UK based and international sent us to a clinic in SJ. 3 hrs later after the assessment and endless form filling in I was informed there was a major problem with the local agent (Mapfre Panama, who I suspect may well be the agent for all of Central America) and was given the choice of finding $15000.00 there & then for her to be admitted or go out and find my own local hospital after paying $1800.00 for the scans and assessment. Not quite what you want, or expect to hear after a stressful incident when you have paid for your insurance cover to alleviate problems such as this. It felt like blackmail and was akin to extortion.
That said, our GA guide Adriana has gone way over and above the call of duty and we love her, along with her collegue Samantha.

To sum up: You must have cover or be very rich. From this experience; check with your insurers that the local/regional office does not have any untoward problems with any clinic you may require in the countries you're visiting. And finally, keep a very accurate account of all expenses incurred & all receipts. These are insurance companies you're dealing with, you will be surprised what they won't pay for. So be prepared for long drawn out arguments on return to you home country.
Remember, they give out umbrellas when it's sunny & demand them back when it starts raining.
davidpreutz

Postby georgialady » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 pm

I just bought coverage through GeoBlue in the US. Much more coverage & lower price than what G offered. Google it up & you can see different policy amounts etc.
georgialady

Postby gnome mad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:29 am

Most credit card coverage for "Travel Accident Insurance" only covers you if you are injured while traveling on a plane, train, bus, etc. It won't cover you for getting bit by rare exotic spiders, falling down and cracking your head on a cobblestone street, getting food poisoning at lunch one day, or trying to outdrink an Australian.

And it definitely won't cover you for any kind of sporting injuries.

But, what the credit card insurance can be good for is this stuff: Lost Baggage, Baggage Delay, Trip Cancellation. If your card offers these insurances, check the fine print but chances are the coverages are pretty good. And if so, you can save some bucks on the travel medical insurance you buy by not adding these items on.

I second the recommendation for Squaremouth, if you want to shop around. A few things to look for:
- Make sure you get at least $200,000 in evacuation coverage
- Make sure the evacuation coverage includes "Repatriation", i.e. they will cover getting you back to your home country
- Make sure it also has medical expenses coverage, because even if you are repatriated there will be bills to pay for whatever they do before getting you underway to your homecountry
- Check whether there is a deductible or not, and how much it is
- Check whether they pay 100% of costs after the deductible, or a lower percentage. Some policies only pay something like 80%
- If you have a pre-existing condition of any kind, read all the fine print about that until you find a policy that will cover you.
- If you are going on a trip that has sports (even optional ones) get a policy that covers *all* of the sports you know you will do, plus *all* of the sports you might end up getting peer pressured into doing even though you think you won't
gnome mad

Postby thorpaa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 am

Double check with your insurance. I was surprised to discover my US insurance will cover any emergency admissions I require outside the US.

Regardless of this, I always have and will continue to purchase Travel Guard Sportsman's insurance as my primary policy before I leave the country. This is one of the few policies that includes coverage in the event you injure yourself during an adventure sport (rappelling, white water rafting, ATVing, etc.) Many foreign countries expect payment before they render services- even in emergency situations. The Sportsman's policy (at least all that I have purchased) will accommodate prepayment.

The policies I have purchased have ranged from 83 to 106 dollars- 106 being the high end that included optional add on coverage for increased medical maximums, no deductible, and primary coverage. You can purchase directly from Travel Guard or you can search an intermediary like SquareMouth, which sometimes offers the same policy for less.
thorpaa

Return to Travel Tips