Travel Virgin! Indochina Discovery

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel Virgin! Indochina Discovery

Postby nathanc070 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 am

Hey guys im Nathan 22 and im doing the Indochina Discovery in July with a mate. We have both never traveled before and are used to our home comforts so got a few questions that might seem abit dumb!

- Whats the best way to carry currency? Im thinking a card with my money on then withdraw from ATM'S?
- Whats the best way to carry stuff, im thinking a rucksack or something as i've heard taking a suitcase is a big no-no!
-We want to take our phones and im thinking maybe even my netbook so i can save any pictures from my camera and upload as we go, but is this a stupid idea? I've no idea whether we will be able to keep them charged up or whether any hotels will have these services for us?

and lastly!
- Are there any crucial tips you guys have? Whether its traveling in general or Asia specific like the Indochina Discovery!

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers Nathan
nathanc070
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Travel Virgin! Indochina Discovery

Postby ballu » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Whats the best way to carry currency? Im thinking a card with my money on then withdraw from ATM'S?

That's what I did! It was 2008 and ATMs were around, but sparse in Laos. That may have changed. No probs in main citys though, even back then. If you want you can take some USD as a back up to exchange, but again, I imagine things have improved. And with the tour starting in Bangkok where there's no shortage of ATMs, you'll be fine. Your tour leader will warn you if you're going to be without an ATM for a few days.

- Whats the best way to carry stuff, im thinking a rucksack or something as i've heard taking a suitcase is a big no-no!

I travel with a backpack...although others on the forum seem to get by with rolling suitcases. Whatever you bring, it's your responsibility to get it from hotel to train to bus to plane to boat to hotel.

-We want to take our phones and im thinking maybe even my netbook so i can save any pictures from my camera and upload as we go, but is this a stupid idea? I've no idea whether we will be able to keep them charged up or whether any hotels will have these services for us?

Just beware of roaming charges. The only time I've travelled with a phone was in Africa...I bought it there for $35, SIM card was about $3 and did pay-as-you-go airtime. It's an option if your international plan at home sucks. You should be able to recharge at hotels. You will likely need plug adapters though. As for internet...don't expect it to be as fast as it is at home.

and lastly!
- Are there any crucial tips you guys have? Whether its traveling in general or Asia specific like the Indochina Discovery!

Relax and have fun! Keep in mind, other than passport/ATM cards, anything you forget, you can buy en-route. I carry all the important stuff in a money belt....
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby jessiainscough » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:03 am

Withdrawing from ATMS is what I did when I did the Indochina discovery tour - they were in pretty much every town we visited, so never a problem! I'd also recommend taking some US dollars as a back up (keep them seperately from your bank card in case it gets lost/stolen).

Definitely take a back pack - there's not too much carrying, and it's much easier when you are getting on and off overnight trains - also you really don't need to take that much - there are many opportunities to do laundry on the trip and it's really cheap - it will save weight and leave room for any things you might buy on the way.

You stay in pretty decent hotels all the way around the trip - no problem with charging stuff (just make sure you have the correct adaptor). There are also safe places to keep valuables, so your netbook should be safe - obviously you can never be certain, but people on my trip had laptops/ipads etc, and there were no problems.

Another random tip for this trip - make sure you take enough sun cream to last the trip - it's VERY hot out there in july, and it's not easy to get hold of it over there and it's also very expensive!

If you have any other questions, just let me know!
jessiainscough
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby nathanc070 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks so much for the response guys, solves a few of my doubts!

Cheers
Nathan
nathanc070

Return to Travel Tips