Socks with shoes?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Socks with shoes?

Postby bethanymcglue » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm going to Japan and am looking to buy some comfy yet fashionable slip on shoes. Comfy- as we'll be doing a lot of walking, fashionable- because I want to look good and them to compliment my outfits(!), and slip-ons- so that I can easily get them on and off without too much faff when going in places where I can't wear shoes!

I was wondering whether the custom is to wear socks with shoes in Japan or if it doesn't matter like in the UK. I don't want to offend anyone taking my shoes off and not wearing socks when perhaps I should be! Can anyone advise?

Also- if anyone knows where I can get such comfy, fashionable, slip-on shoes please help...

:)

Thank you,
Beth
bethanymcglue
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Socks with shoes?

Postby kcupp95 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Some sort of ballet slipper?

I have a pair of leather Diana ferraris that I wear to work and adore!!

Also if you're doing a lot of walking, you might have to give up fashion for comfort - after one day spending 10 hours walking around New York in ballet slippers, I quickly switched to my joggers for the rest of the time and was able to enjoy sightseeing a lot more instead of thinking about how sore my feet where.

Depending on what time of year - perhaps a pair of ankle boots?
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 am

SANITA shoes! Best ever! Very comfy, loads of styles, wear with socks or get sandals to go without. I have the clogs for work...12hr shifts...very comfortable but I also wear them on days off: http://www.sanita.com/
Love them!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby shaz34 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Beth
I was in Japan visiting my son at Christmas. It wasn't that warm but I wore socks and ankle boots most of the time. Whilst the weather will be warmer now I have to tell you that I wore out four pairs of socks in my ten days. I was walking a lot each day though. Obviously you have to remove your shoes occasionally (including going into a changing room in a shop one day) and nobody mentioned or seemed offended that I was wearing socks.
I hope this helps and you have a wonderful time. It's a wonderful place.
Sharon :D
shaz34

Postby bethanymcglue » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks guys! i've had a good look around and I think I'm going to go for some slip on Skechers. Their Go Walk range looks great.

But what about wearing socks? When I take my shoes off to go in places am I expected to be wearing socks or doesn't it matter?

Beth
bethanymcglue

Postby Zuleika » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 am

perhaps keep some socks in your bag with you so you can slip them on when its necessary.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips