Vietnam Visa

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Vietnam Visa

Postby karmack5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 pm

I am doing the Discovery Indochina tour April , I am from Canada. As such need a visa to get into Vietnam. Now the trip documents say to get the visa before you show up on tour, however this would require to send my passport via an intermediary and to Vietnam Embassy then get it back in mail. This is a costly option over $200 CDN. However for people arriving to Vietnam via air you can get a less costly option that basically is a letter via an intermediary and you present this with photos and your passport at the airport immigration total cost about $75 CDN. Now as it turns out, this trip I am doing is flying into Vietnam from Cambodia, no overland connection. So this could be an option for me. My question is I guess, will G adventures allow me to go the less costly option and get the visa at the airport on arrival, or do they actually require me to have the more costly visa already in my passport before I even show up in Bangkok for start of tour?
karmack5
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Vietnam Visa

Postby kateyb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:37 pm

I am from Canada as well and sent my passport straight to the Vietnamese embassy...It was nice having it and not having to worry about it later. It didn't cost me $200 though...can't quite remember the exact cost. Here's the link for the Vietnamese Embassy in Ottawa...http://www.vietem-ca.com/html/home.html
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby onyx007 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Yeah, I strongly advice you to get your Visa in advance; as it is the suggestion of G-Adventures as well (I think it says so in the "Trip Notes"); I was on the "Indochina Encompassed" and we crossed the border per air from Laos and every one of us had the visa already in there passports.

I think it's your own decision, but your tourleader can not help you, if you get turned back at vietnamese immigration...I hate visa fees as well, but it saves you the hassle, if you get in at home.
onyx007

Postby karmack5 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Well got my visa back today. Sent all application data in via mail last week thurs feb 28th and came back today mon mar 4th! That was quick! Cost for the whole thing was about $130 CDN, so for peace of mind of having visa so be it.
karmack5

Re: Vietnam Visa cost

Postby lisen33 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:09 am

karmack5 wrote:Well got my visa back today. Sent all application data in via mail last week thurs feb 28th and came back today mon mar 4th! That was quick! cost for the whole thing was about $130 CDN, so for peace of mind of having visa so be it.

That's right, Im in process to get Vietnam visa. Visa fee is ok
lisen33

Postby titleytravels » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:39 pm

I just got my visa for Vietnam in the UK. Realised with 2 weeks to go that I hadn't got it sorted and panicked. Printed out the form that they said would take longer to process, sent payment as a cheque and put my passport in the post with my application on Thursday afternoon and paid for next day processing. I had a stressful weekend, and then it arrived back with me at 10 on Tuesday morning. If you're travelling from the UK, I seriously recommend getting it done that way. It cost me £83 because I wanted it next day, but it's so easy. And if you swing it right, you've got an excuse to visit London. Had I not left it so late, that's what I would have done.
titleytravels

Return to Travel Tips