money money money!!!!

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

money money money!!!!

Postby snorto » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:58 pm

hey,

Just seeking some advice from fellow travellers....
Im starting my adventure in april with a tour of india 'uncover india' then onto thailand for the 'indochina discoery' before heading off to oz,nz and america.
I am just looking for the best advice on money with regards to how much i take (cash wise in india and thailand), storage,size of notes etc.
I dont want to be carrying wads of cash about obviously- so just want to know my options,Are the thomas cook style visa cards worth a shot for the likes of oz,nz and america?

Any info people can offer would be grand-tis my first trip alone so wanna get something right!!!

i look forward to hearing from you
sally
snorto
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: money money money!!!!

Postby desiree2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 am

Hi
ATM cards can be used in all the countries you are visiting (apart from remote towns). It can cost $5 or more to make a withdrawal, but that just means you shouldn't withdraw, for example, $20. There is no need to take 'wads' of cash at all, and probably best not to.
Obviously, Oz, NZ and the US are a lot more expensive than Asia, so make allowances for that. I had friends from Canada stay in Australia (where I live) and they were very surprised at how expensive items such and meat, fruit and vegetables are.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby georginal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 pm

I can't talk for indochina or Thailand or India, but if your talking about prepaid cards they're not a bad option though check the small print for which currencies they'll support, although there is a limit which might not go too far in some countries. Make sure you get a Credit Card for emergencies and big purchases. Personally when I did need to go to the ATM I got the most out at anyone time that I dared. It was usually about 5-7 days worth of cash. Cities are always more expensive, but there are nearly always more card facilities around as well, so less of a need to carry cash.

Its also worth having 2 or 3 debit or credit cards that you can use, one of those with a different bank so you have an emergency supply there. Then store them in different places. Make sure you know what your banks limit is for withdrawing cash and tell them where you're going.

Generally smaller denominations of notes are better and with if you have USD's around in countries other than the USA try and avoid the old scrumpled ones.

If you're looking at bank cards, then go for the one with the cheapest rates at home. You can't do anything about the foreign bank charges.

Hope that helps!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:34 am

I also do the ATM route...withdraw a few days worth of cash as I go.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Travel Tips