Changing money in Sri Lanka

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Changing money in Sri Lanka

Postby desiree2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi
I just returned from a great trip to Sri Lanka. When at the airport for my departure back home, I wanted to change my rupees back to dollars. I was asked for 'proof of purchase' from dollars to rupees. Fortunately, I still had some ATM receipts in my wallet to show that I had 'bought' the rupees in SL. Not quite sure what would have happened if I didn't have them or why I needed proof. Anyway, just something to remember if you are wanting to change money back on departure. Loved Sri lanka, would recommend it.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Changing money in Sri Lanka

Postby markmol » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks Desiree,
I am heading there in April, i will keep my receipts.
Mark
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby desiree2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 am

Hi
I used the ATMs over there on 5 occasions. Unfortunately, it appears that on one of these occasions my details were skimmed and about $350 worth of unauthorised transactions were made before I became aware of it. My financial institution is looking at it now. Just keep an eye on your account whenever you access your accounts online.
Apart from that (and I know that it can happen anywhere) I really enjoyed SL. Very interesting place.
Desiree
desiree2

Postby markmol » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 pm

thanks
i normally take US Dollars when i travel [i will still keep the receipts] & have the card for backup, I got my details skimmed on a transaction on ebay, so i don't think you are safe anywhere.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby markmol » Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 am

great tip Desiree, kept my atm receipts & they did ask for them to change my money back from Rupees
thanks
Mark
markmol

Postby desiree2 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 am

Thank you for your thank you. :D
desiree2

Return to Travel Tips