RFID blocking stuff

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

RFID blocking stuff

Postby judestar82 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:12 am

Hello, been doing research on RFID blocking products out there and there seems to be a lot. I'm wondering what people have used/ experienced when actually travelling and what works best for travelling logistically? e.g. Have people just bought individual passport and CC sleeves so they can swap around to various bags/ pockets they use... or perhaps a wallet which holds passport, money and boarding pass... or a RFID neck stash.. or a Pacsafe sling bag with RFID blocking etc? I'm heading off to travel europe, US and canada for 6 months independent travel, and hopping on tours here and there. Not sure if i should fork out for an expensive sling bag, if i'll end up carrying passport etc in a hidden stash bag, or if I get a RFID wallet anyway. The range of products is a bit overwhelming. :shock: Cheers
judestar82
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: RFID blocking stuff

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I haven't heard much about RFID-blockers here in the Watering Hole. I travel quite a bit and haven't ever used one. Mostly I carry my passport/credit and debit cards/cash on my person. I have a sleeve that hangs on a belt around my waist and can slide into the front of my pants. Depending on the trip I leave the rest of my wallet at home. If I do put those things in my backpack I put them on the back wall up against my back so they can't get slash-and-grabbed. I haven't had any problems but I've been a few places where I saw kids checking out people's back pockets, poorly-closed backpacks, and back-slung purses. I don't ever use overhead bins or under-seat storage on public transit. Not sure if this helps!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Re: RFID blocking stuff

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:18 pm

All you need to do to block RFID readers is wrap your credit cards/ATM cards/passport in a single layer of aluminum foil. I wouldn't spend the money on an expensive bag or wallet, simply line your travel wallet with a little foil and you're good to go.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips