Advice needed! Net book vs. tablet??

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Advice needed! Net book vs. tablet??

Postby elliefab » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 am

Hi all!
Just a quick question- do you think it's better to travel with a smallish net book or a tablet (iPad for example). I'm considering one or the other as am travelling for a year. But weight and size are considerations!!!

Any advice is appreciated!!
elliefab
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Advice needed! Net book vs. tablet??

Postby north40nm » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 am

i have both, and i guess the question should be, do you plan on doing lots of typing? emails, letters and such? I like the net book for;
1) larger memory (music, movies, books)
2) keypad!
3) less expensive (very cheep Toshiba)
4) better processor then a pad
down side
1) larger
2) shorter battery life
So, i usually take the net book, and a mp3 player (iTouch) that will hook up for new music.
going to try out a solar charger and see how that works.
hope that helped some?
cheers
Alex
north40nm

Postby sinecure » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

I've done the netbook thing for years, and recently moved to a refurbished iPad 2 with 64gb of storage. This way I can have a movie or two, back my photo's up as we travel.

I've got the iPad in a folio keyboard case from Logitech, and it gives me a full keyboard as well.
sinecure

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:17 am

It depends on what you're doing with it. I like to backup my digital photos as well as view them on a larger screen and no iPad-like tablet on the market has the storage or ports necessary to let me do this (I typically take 40-100 GB of pictures and video on a lengthy trip).

On the other hand, if all you want is reading ebooks, simple websurfing and a few applications then go with the lightest smallest option -- typically an iPad-like tablet.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Alpine_Resort » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 pm

I keep looking as my netbook is getting old and slow but it still seems better to me than a tablet. The storage space for photos is a huge consideration as well as the usb ports. I like to do a trip journal as well and it's easier to type on buses with it as well as edit photos. It also seems tougher to me than a tablet and not that much bigger. I get almost 5 hours out of the battery, not sure if you get much more out of a tablet I'm not into music though and bring an e-reader so like the others said, depends on what you're doing with it :)
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby newgolddream » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am

I am travelling for 5 months starting next week and have just bought an Asus Transformer tablet (Android OS). It comes with a keyboard dock which makes life much easier for emails, writing online travel blogs etc and boosts battery life up to about 15 hours. Combined weight is just over 1kg. They come in various memory storage sizes (up to 64GB at top of the range) but also have SD card slots and full USB port on the keyboard dock making life easy for downloading photos straight from a digital camera without the need for saving in a "cloud". I will still back up photos via cloud in case the tablet is lost/stolen; at least that way you can still retrieve your photos when you get home. Pete
newgolddream

Return to Travel Tips