Tips for long term travel?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tips for long term travel?

Postby elliefab » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:15 am

Hi all, I'm about to begin travelling for a year - 8 months travelling/teaching in south america and then I plan to head to Europe for 4-5 months until my money runs out!

Does anyone have any tips for long term travel? Or even done something similar? I'm really excited but also worried about packing as i'm travelling through various climates !

I would appreciate any advice on past experiences you may have!!! Thanks in advance!
elliefab
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Tips for long term travel?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Travel light! We ran into a girl who was two weeks into a similar trip and she had a giant suitcase she could barely lift. She sat next to us after we helped her hoist it onto the train in Slovenia. She was miserable and had decided to buy a backpack at the next stop, throw out some of the things and ship the rest back home. Unless you are traveling in the wilderness you will be able to buy heavier clothing when needed, or replace what gets worn, ripped, or lost. Take mix-and-match colours, pack for about 4-5 days, and plan on picking up bargains when you arrive at each place.
Enjoy, I am thoroughly jealous!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby markmol » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Ellie

as Kim says travel light, i usually buy cheap t shirts as i go, also in South America you can purchase cheap alpaca jumpers. If you are hiking the Inca trail you can hire jackets in Cusco, saves lugging them around.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby darrenpete » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:52 am

Using a bit of forethought before traveling can make the difference between a memorable trip and a disaster. When planning a lengthy vacation -- whether it's your dream trip around the world or longer stays in fewer locations. Such preparation is imperative Plan your itinerary carefully before you leave, even if you're making an extended stay in only a few places.
darrenpete

Return to Travel Tips