Suggestions for Lima and San Jose

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Suggestions for Lima and San Jose

Postby laviniar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I have a few extra days spare. Any suggestions for what to do with my extra days

Lima, Peru 1 day prior to tour and 2 days after tour.

San Jose, Costa Rica 3 days prior to tour.

Much appreciated for any suggestions :D
laviniar
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Suggestions for Lima and San Jose

Postby Janice08 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 am

San Jose:
- 1 - 2 days are enough to check out the city. Get a good map and you can do it yourself on foot. Be prepared - there are very few street signs so you need to look for landmarks. There are several museums in the downtown area - the Gold museum is interesting, the farther down you go (its built underground) the more interesting it gets. I've heard the Jade museum is interesting but haven't been there.
- Do a day trip out of the city. Volcano tours are popular. Go as early as you can in the morning as it tends to cloud over by mid-morning.

Lima:
- Check out this link to "Fun and Safe Activities to do in Lima": viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17344 for activities that others have done.

For any place, I like to google "Activities in ________" and see what comes up. It gives you a good idea of what's available. Sometimes if you dig a bit deeper you can find the activities at a less touristy price. Your hotel often has brochures at the front desk as well or the hotel staff can help you plan something. The "before you go" information about your trip often mentions optional activities at your starting location as well - you can contact G Adventures for information about signing up for those activities.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Suggestions for Lima and San Jose

Postby vprewitt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:48 pm

it all depends on what interests you of course

I found a bus that took me up to the top of Mirador San Cristobal. I sat at the window as the old bus creaked up a windy road with no guardrails and looked out over the edge into oblivion. It was a hoot.

A bus ride to Milaflores may be of interest. The hostel is down there along with all the trendy shops and hotels. Pretty beachside area for jogging.

The old part of town is definitely worth a walk with a camera. Such astounding beauty gone to age and neglect. Easy to see how stunning it was 100 years ago.

Check out tripadvisor tours. There are some good culinary tours and cooking classes if that interests you.
vprewitt

Return to Travel Tips