Apps for Travel on iOS?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Apps for Travel on iOS?

Postby tailer_wal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi guys,

Do you know any useful apps for travelers?
There are many articles about those, but everyone is different.
So let’s post some apps that we use.

My friend recommended this on http://www.alarmtravel.com/
Travel Alarm Clock Pro
He flies a lot, so he uses this alarm to manage his time.
tailer_wal
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Apps for Travel on iOS?

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

This topic has been done before but could use updating with the new apps coming out all the time - here is the old thread
http://wateringhole.gadventures.com/vie ... pps#p76856

I posted these last time:

XE currency converter
Lockbox
Translator for languages
Trip advisor
Lonely Planet guides
The trainline
Tube map
Weather
Clock (alarm)
Maps
Wifi finder

and have added since then:
flashlight
Skyscanners
Easyjet
USB disk (for all my travel documents)
compass
kindle
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby dorti » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:29 am

I've downloaded Everlater on my iPad, a travel journal app that had good reviews but I have yet to use it coz I havn't started my trip yet.
dorti

Postby Collette » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 pm

three apps that deserve mentioning are Tripit, dropbox and findmyipad

Tripit tracks your flights and sends updates to you if flights are delayed etc. It also (if you allow it) will automatically post your flights to your facebook account so your friends know where you are and when you're leaving. Tripit also lets you connect with friends, and if you're the competitive type, you can compete for distance scores.

Dropbox is awesome! Not just for travel, but for every day. I use it to keep cyber-copies of all my travel documents (passport, insurance, flight itinerary, etc.). If you ever lose a document, a copy is as close as the nearest wifi. You sign up for an account (it's all free unless you want a ridiculously large account for photos and videos), and all your devices automatically loads your dropbox icon. If you don't have your devices with you, just log into the dropbox website and sign in with your password and voila!

Findmyipad is a must especially for travelers. You sign up (free), and if you ever lose your ipad, just log into the website with your password, and a map comes up showing you exactly where your ipad is! That's not all, you can remotely send a loud alert, send a message to appear on the screen (like how to get hold of the owner), and if you believe it was stolen and never to be found again, you can remotely wipe all your data. Try it just for fun, the map and the message/alarm work really well.

For what it's worth, I think the ipad is the most fantastic travel tool ever invented! Not only provides you with all sorts of great information, but it's a wonderful time-waster for those long-haul flights and endless hours waiting in the airport. I recommend getting a spare battery booster (mophie makes a good one), and remember to shut your apps down completely so they aren't running in the background using tons of battery life even when idle.

Happy travels!
Collette
Collette
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Also Onavo - if you have to roam on holiday - this makes it much cheaper apparently - although I havent tried yet - only just go it.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Return to Travel Tips