Carry your passport or leave it in the room?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Carry your passport or leave it in the room?

Postby barbara9909 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 am

Let's say you're going on a G Adventure and so you're with a group, etc. Overseas your passport is your primary ID and you might need it if you want to exchange money or maybe when you use a visa card. But you don't need it all the time.

Would you carry on you in a money belt everyday, or would you recommend leaving it hidden in your bags in your room?

I have typically always carried it on me, but sometimes I'd like to not have that worry. What do others recommend? What do you do?
Thanks
Barbara
barbara9909
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Carry your passport or leave it in the room?

Postby Starbuck86 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 am

Tough one. II have left mine behind in hotels before but I didn't really like doing that. I much prefer to have it on me, especially in places that call for you to carry ID at all times. I usually keep in in my day bag or an inside pocket, with several photocopies scattered throughout the rest of my luggage. On my last trip with GAdventures were fortunate in that we could leave our passports and valuables in a safe in the truck for a lot of the trip.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun May 06, 2012 9:15 pm

I carry my passport with me all the time. I've had to replace a stolen passport and it wasn't fun -- and this was years before 9/11 increased security at the consulates. If you're nervous, make a small pouch for your passport or get an in-pants money belt and keep it pinned down where you KNOW there won't be any uninvited hands.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby lesliew » Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 am

I kept my passport with me at all times. I put it in my money belt..the money belt was so light, I couldn't feel it under my clothes and would even forget I was wearing it. Sometimes I would take it off, but I'd carry it in my backpack that I had with me and never took my eyes off of. My passport and money were the things I absolutely did not want to loose so I was extra careful with those.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby kateyb » Sat May 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I leave mine in the hotel safe. I carry a copy with me at all times.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tips