My Favorite Packing Tip

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: My Favorite Packing Tip

Postby traveltheworld » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:21 am

Sorry for going off topic, but where do you go to buy this tech fabric clothing? I have never heard of it before, and I am looking for some light clothing that will dry quickly. I have spent the last few weekends looking for some light clothing, but am not having any luck. I am off on a trip to Indochina in just under 4 weeks, during its rainy season. Also, I suspect I may even have trouble finding this sort of gear before I go as its winter where I live at the moment.
traveltheworld
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:47 am

Hi traveltheworld,

there are many many online stores for this type of gear (try typing "moisture-wicking clothing" into google). The Canadian store I like is this one: http://www.mec.ca/ - they do ship internationally but perhaps not in enough time for your departure. In any case this is a direct link to the type of thing you're after: http://search.mec.ca/?N=10&Ntt=moisture ... 6651601411

good luck,
LMS
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lovely_tori » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:22 pm

When I pack I always lay everything out and then take half of it!
It's a tough process being a 22 year old girl, but it's so worth it in the end!
Over packing is never fun, plus you have less room for souvenirs bought along the way!

When I'm packing, I always make sure that I bring a few smaller Memory cards rather than one big one... that way if anything should happen (knock on wood), I won't lose all of my pictures!

I also take an extra debit card in case an ATM machine decides to eat mine for lunch! (it happens!)

Also, this may not be for everyone, but I always bring a box of granola bars and stash one in my day bag. You never know when you're going to get a yucky breakfast that you'll want to skip or be in the middle of the jungle and hungry!

Another tip, which I'm sure most people are aware of .... ROLL YOUR CLOTHES! It saves you SO much space, plus it really helps with wrinkles!

I also always bring my own pillow case (if you don't use it on your pillows, it makes a great dirty laundry bag)

As far as guide books, which are terribly heavy, I photocopy the pages I'll need and bring just those.
lovely_tori
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby bitofagiggle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm loving all your tips... thanks.
For the ladies out there... dare I say it.... panty-liners - fantastic. Just incase you need your underwear to last that little bit longer. Also the little bags you can get to dispose the 'girlie items' in - a god send when we were trekking in North Thailand!
As for old clothes, by the time I got to USA I think I only had 1 piece of original clothing with me - gave away along the way and bought new when I got bored or when it was really too shabby!

Another tip.. if you're going with a friend, photocopy your passport and insurance details and main contact numbers etc and swap them with each other.
bitofagiggle
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:43 pm

After visiting Podocarpus National Park in Southern Ecuador this week, I'm revising one of my former packing tips. I usually carry a cheap poncho that folds up small for sudden rain storms and it's always served me well--until now. My cheapo rain poncho was torn to shreds in the high winds at the continental divide. Instead of the $2 poncho, I'm going to take the $5 poncho next time. :D
JaliscoJudy

Postby globe_roam » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:00 pm

these are awesome! i'm going backpacking for just over two months so these are definitely going to help me out!

here are my tips (sorry if any are repeated)
--> space saver bags (i don't use them at the beginning of the trip...so you bag seems full.. then use them at the end after i've thrown out old clothes and need room for new ones/souveniers)
--> photocopy the important pages from your travel book instead of bringing the whole thing.. that way you can throw out pages as you go
--> photocopy important documents (flight details, passport, credit cards, etc) and keep copies of them with yourself, your bag, and in an email sent to yourself
--> bring a travel diary and some glue/tape. i like to keep special things like tickets, coasters, menus, drink labels, etc. that remind me of fun times abroad plus you and the people you meet while abroad have a place to write about your crazy adventures!

i LOVE the idea of the labels... it always takes me soo long to write postcards because you have to copy out addresses and stuff... this trip it's labels all the way!
globe_roam
User Rank: Traveller

Re: packing tips

Postby JennC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 am

debandpat wrote:underwear... boxers or briefs? who brings them on an adventure trip?!! d (the ones that dry overnight in the catalog are $25 bucks a whack!)

Don't buy that expensive stuff!! Zellars has mens 'sport' boxers/briefs, 2/pack for $12. Mark's Work Wearhouse has womens underware for approximately $6-$8. All are a thinner material and will dry overnight. And you don't have to pay the high price of so-called travel underware.

Thanks for all the packing tips...I'm just reviewing before I pack this week!

Happy Travels,
Jenn
JennC

Postby nikimarcotte » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Take biodegradeable laundry soap and shampoos etc. I have some tiny granular packages that can wash a whole load of laundry with a tablespoon of soap and not leave harsh chemicals behind, especially in countries that won't have wastewater treatment plants and it will be going directly back into their water system, but even larger cities benefit.

Sarongs are also great towel replacements and not just for the beach, they work for showering as well, then they dry quickly and take up very little space.

Take medications that work for you, it is often hard to find ones that WORK well for you...the last thing you want is to be sick for half your trip because you are sampling random pharmaceuticals along the way.(allergy, cold/flu, diarrhea, headache,etc)

make sure any liquids in your luggage are in ziploc bags(all shower stuff in one bag so you can just take the whole thing to the shower), and take extra ziploc bags along because they will eventually get holes in them.

put shoes into plastic shopping bags when packing, then if you happen to be out in the mud or any other yucky bit on them and need to repack, slip them into the bag and everything else stays clean.
nikimarcotte

Postby rossnathalie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:58 am

Disposable travel clothes!! The BEST travel tip ever. Old race/volunteer/work shirts etc. I have even gone to a goodwill or salvation army and bought 2nd hand shorts and left them as well.
I like to think all the clothes I leave behind get picked up and re-used by the hotel cleaning staff.
As the trip goes on and your bag gets smaller it is great. Worst case you run out of shirts early and have to buy a few souveneer t-shirts to take home.

If you really need your good travel clothes, try getting them washed locally before you come home. Spreads some of your tourist $$ around locally and creates some work. When you get home simply open your bag and put away your clean clothes and your unpacked. Makes coming home a little easier.
rossnathalie

Postby sinecure » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 pm

After getting stranded in an airport over night this past week, my travel packing tip is: Pack some clothes in your carry on! I got suck in rainy Seattle while returning from a hot las vegas. I would have killed for some warm clothes :(
sinecure

Postby Gunkster » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:10 am

I'd like to also suggest DR. BRONNER'S MAGIC SOAPS. Again, it can be used as a clothes wash, body wash, toothpaste. For those that are concerned, it is a 100% vegan product.

There are many different types of "classic" but many variatinos on the product. peppermint, citrus, almond, tea tree, rose, lavendar, eucalyptus

The bottles are available from 2oz to 1gallon so you have lots of travel options. A 4oz bottle will certainly last a typical 1-2 weeks get-away. It lathers up fast. I found out the hard way by putting too much in my mouth. I only needed a few drops.
Gunkster

Postby Alpine_Resort » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:06 pm

There are some great tips here! One more for you, I just used fabric paint to write my name in my underwear. Sounds weird but on my last trip most of our group had our laundry done at the hotel and they mixed up the underwear. We sorted it out but it's easier if your name is in it.
I took a purchased shower kit but discovered ziplock baggies would work much better. They pack easier and hold any spilled liquid.

Where do you get those sarongs you're talking about?
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad

Postby sinecure » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:43 pm

Sarongs can be picked up in most Asian markets.

Another tip: use zip ties instead of locks. they are lightweight and if one gets cut you can have a bunch with you taking up nearly no room.
sinecure

Postby Alpine_Resort » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:17 pm

I meant the sarongs that can also be used as towels. I have some of those sarongs that make great cover ups on the beach but they're useless as towels.

I use coloured electrical tape to tape the zipper ends on my backpack together and take a small roll with me. It makes it more difficult for someone to get into but is not locked so airline officials can cut it. You also know then that they searched your luggage.

Also, bring a bottle of probiotics. It's much better for fighting tummy upsets than meds. The "bugs" have to go through your system and medicating just makes it take longer.
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort

Postby jimshu » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I like the probiotics idea, for loading up on beneficial bacteria , and getting your digestive system back into balance.
But if that is a live culture, what's the shelf or should I say 'pack' life if you're carrying this around in your pack in sweltering tropical heat?
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tips