Where do you keep your passport?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Where do you keep your passport?

Postby nikimarcotte » Mon May 20, 2013 12:58 pm

if there is a locked spot on the bus, that works...carry a photocopy on your person for ID. I carry it on my person when travelling through airports etc because have to keep producing it. as for room safes, I do NOT trust them, would rather lock my backpack and hide it inside my big pack . most hotel staff know how to cancel the combo on a safe because every person sets their own code and then leaves, so have to be able to cancel it for the next guest. I like combination luggage locks rather than a key, so I don't have to keep track of a tiny key. I even like to lock up adapters, chargers, jewellery I buy along the way and other stuff that might have a street value or is hard to replace in foreign countries... to remove temptation. we had a guide in Europe tell us NOT to put our valuables under our pillow while sleeping...and one guy on our trip illustrated for us why that is a bad idea, we left in the morning and he forgot his entire moneybelt with credit cards, cash AND his passport under his pillow. had to contact the hotel to go find it, then get another tour behind us to pick it up and catch up with us a day or two later. I also don't love the idea of moneybelts...they are too obvious and half the people I have seen use them are constantly pulling them out in stores to make purchases...so once somebody knows you have it, they may take the entire moneybelt and your passport would just be a really bad casualty! purses make me nervous or the same reason....somebody could snatch the entire purse!
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby paulhtx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 am

Great opinions on safe keeping of my passport. as a backup I have read that keeping an image of your passport (in phone or camera) is a good alternative to carrying a photocopy. Has anyone else heard this?
paulhtx
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby lesliew » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:18 am

I always keep my passport on me. If it's a place where I don't want to carry a purse, I'll put it in a money belt or zip pants pocket. If I do carry a purse, I always carry a cross-body purse (much harder for someone to snatch than something just on my shoulder). I also always have a photocopy of my passport in a different location (my luggage) and, this may be overkill, but before I leave home I make sure my parents (or any emergency contact) have a copy of my passport.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:11 pm

paulhtx wrote:Great opinions on safe keeping of my passport. as a backup I have read that keeping an image of your passport (in phone or camera) is a good alternative to carrying a photocopy. Has anyone else heard this?

I like to keep scanned copies of my critical documentation with me when I'm traveling. It's not the same as having the official documentation but may help the consulate if you have to get a temporary passport to get home (happened to me once!). Having the scans to look at on my tablet or phone also helps me check details like the passport number, expiration date or issuing agency without having to dig out the passport itself.

I also like to have at least one printed copy of the scan available (batteries drain, screens crack, etc.).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby irishdamsel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 am

Try the law of attraction. If you worry and worry about the passport, then you will attract more situations in which to worry about it. I've travelled many places and never really worried about my passport. I have always been sensible about it and never had any issues. In Australia, you won't get into bars in Perth without it so therefore it came out with me on nights out. Be sensible and always trust your gut. No better way. What works for one doesn't for another. You hold the answer as to where you passport is best kept on any single occasion depending on what you are doing, who you are with (if anyone) and where you are. Just be vigilant, sensible and enjoy your trips. Its all cool........ 8)
irishdamsel
User Rank: Weekender

Postby paulinef » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:19 pm

I have a Pacsafe also. For those who don't know what this is, it is a theftproof fannypack. Mine is large enough for my passport, money, and camera. The only problem would be swimming.
paulinef

Postby nikimarcotte » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 pm

don't think just because you have a theftproof item that you are safe...you always have to be aware of where your important items are....met a girl who had one of those purses that have wire running through the handle so they can't be cut and mesh inside the material on the outside so was totally safe....until she was in a cab, had it sitting on the seat beside her, stopped at a traffic light, somebody reached in the part open window and grabbed it.
nikimarcotte

Postby paulinef » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:55 pm

I can see how a purse would not be safe. Although not fashionable, mine is a fanny pack.
paulinef

Postby gnome mad » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm with Irishdamsel. There's no one solution for all situations. It differs depending on the laws and customs of the country you're in, and the safety and security of the specific place you're in within it.

In much of Eastern Europe, you need to have your actual passport on you at all times, as the police will do random visa checks just because they are bored, fishing for a small bribe, or irrationally suspect you of being a drug trafficker. (Went through all three of those, I did.) At the same time, in much of Eastern Europe you will find a hand reaching into your pocket while in line at the convenience store by the metro station. So you do as Damsel said: be sensible and trust your gut.

In that case my gut told me to carry it but hide it somewhere unexpected. So most mornings I taped it to the inside of my shirt with duct tape, unless I was wearing something with a hidden pocket. No worries. ;-)

OK, I'll revise her answer slightly: Be sensible, trust your gut, and always pack some duct tape!
gnome mad

Postby misskitty680 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:59 pm

ok, so, quite possibly I'm the only one... but I keep mine in my bra XD

I know, I know, odd, but it's generally both safe and accessible. I even have a little waterproof sleeve for my passport if needed lol. In fact I often store my money there too, no money belt required...
misskitty680

Postby bunninbopper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 am

Good tips here, when I was at the passport office, they did recommend taking a picture of your passport with camera/phone. The tip of keeping a printed copy of it on your person is a good idea as well.

One other issue that you need to be aware of though... most new passports, credit cards and other bank cards, are now installed with a chip. These chips can be read with a remote Radio Frequency scanner and your identity is stolen as easy as that. The perps can do this from 3m away, so you never know it's happening... until it's WAY to late. There are RFID safe pouches, sleeves, wallets, etc that will block these scanners. I highly recommend all look into this and protect yourself.

Safe travels!
bunninbopper

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 am

bunninbopper wrote:One other issue that you need to be aware of though... most new passports, credit cards and other bank cards, are now installed with a chip. These chips can be read with a remote Radio Frequency scanner and your identity is stolen as easy as that. The perps can do this from 3m away, so you never know it's happening... until it's WAY to late. There are RFID safe pouches, sleeves, wallets, etc that will block these scanners. I highly recommend all look into this and protect yourself.

Double-thick aluminum foil should be sufficient to protect against this. I made a sleeve with a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil that my passport will slip into and then the whole thing goes into my travel wallet. If you're especially paranoid about it then make the sleeve quadruple thick.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby earth2al » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Don't stress over it! I do opt 3 ( I carry a 'souvenir bag' everywhere!), and keep copies in opt 1,2 and 4. I also have a tatoo on my left wrist which expires soon, crap!!! :cry:

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel... Prophet Muhammad
earth2al
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby jamie4 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:55 am

I bought a mulberry purse to carry my passport, a mall notebook, pen and some cards.
jamie4

Postby mandrake » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 pm

I also recommend you keep your passport on your body, however, if you are traveling to a place where corruption is possible, you also need to be aware of when and where to show it. (I am thinking of Indonesia back when the dictatorship was a disguised democracy) If stopped alone on the street by a military or police agree to show it to them pronto. But insist it is back in the hotel. If they are attempting to rob or steal from you they will let you go. They won't want to be seen by witnesses. Never admit you have your passport or other valuables on your body if you are in a vulnerable location. Eagerly agree to provide whatever is demanded, as soon as you can get to it back at the hotel.
mandrake

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tips