Storing Photos - SD Card

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Storing Photos - SD Card

Postby aussiedave88 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 pm

I have an SD card for my camera and am heading to South America for about 10 weeks. I am looking for a device that I can backup my photos onto (say a portable hard drive with an SD card reader). I don't really want to carry around a netbook for weight/space/security reasons but am starting to think that a cheap netbook may be the easiest option. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers guys
aussiedave88
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Storing Photos - SD Card

Postby georginal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Aussiedave88

I've carried a Netbook around with me for the last couple of years. I'm quite attached to it.The thing that I most like about it is that is not as obvious as a Laptop. Mine just slots into its cover and then into my Daysac along the side of it thats next to my back- hope that makes sense. Ok the memory isn't as great, and I do on occassions, miss a disc drive, but for most things internet - photo's etc its fine.

Whilst the Netbook makes a great substitute for not having a Laptop, and like you, I'm not entirely convinced on its suitability for some of these types of tours. If all you want photo's, even a cheap Netbook, does seem like overkill, and I am considering dropping mine for my upcoming African trip.

i've not been to S America but whilst travelling have before now, got photo's backed up on CD wherever I've been able to. This is the option I'll probably take. My trip is over Xmas, so I'm going to find out if I can send a CD home just in time for Xmas - keep the folks at home entertained on Xmas day!
Last edited by georginal on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby sinecure » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am

sinecure

Postby eric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi,

I suggest you look up " JOBO GIGA ".

I've got an old one. Its a calculator sized disc drive. Slots for various cards eg SD.
Put the card in, press copy button, & card is copied to the disc.
Mains powered, but a small internal recharge battery is ok for copy
of 2GB. USB connection to a PC.

My old one pre dates SD-HC cards, but I understand later versions cope with that.

Look to see whats around.

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric

Postby cala » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Can you tell if you successfully copied the pictures over to the device or not? That's the one thing I worry about is that it will not transfer the photos and I'll delete them from the card and won't realize my mistake until I get home. I ended up buying four 8-gig cards when I last traveled. I never went through all of them and I took a lot of photos. I would either get a bunch of cards or a small netbook. I know I used to have a device that would hook up to my ipod that I could transfer photos to the ipod hard drive. You may want to see if something like that exists if you have a big hd on your ipod or iphone.
I'd rather be traveling. Cala, Travel Insurance Advisor
cala
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jimshu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:41 pm

SD cards are now so cheap we just buy new ones and leave our photos on them.Easy to use in photo frames that way.
Saves having to carry spare batteries or chargers for any storage device.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby eric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi,

Yes & yes (maybe no)!!

Yes, have always copies my SD cards over to Jobo Giga OK. Guess that's true for all the other make drives.

But YES! SD Cards are cheap, just buy a collection of them!

I never delete pictures on my SD Cards while I'm on a trip. I Just try to make sure
I keep my used SD cards separte from the storage device, so If I lose one set I've got the other.

Regards

Eric
eric

Postby aussiedave88 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:21 am

Cheers for the comments guys,

Have decided against any devices or getting a netbook - will take a few different cards and when we arrive at cities will copy onto cds/usbs/whatever else is available. Had an unfortunate incident a couple of years ago when the camera broke on the way to the pyramids in Giza, so now have been a bit paranoid regarding photo storage!
aussiedave88

Return to Travel Tips