How do you pay for all this???

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: How do you pay for all this???

Postby hopeful55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Alright! I created a blog, however... I'm not sure what to do with it! LOL

Although I have a question. I searched TEFL agian, and found there are many different sites. Could there be scam sites? How do I know which one is the real one? Lol sorry, I must be asking alot here!
hopeful55
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Don't worry about asking too many questions, that's what we're here for. I don't want an answer from some vague minion who "thinks" they know the answer. I come here because I want an answer from someone who says "When I went last week this is how it worked". :lol: That's what we can offer!
And you can start with blogging about how you are working your way through the process of finding your placement! :wink:

Good luck!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby jimshu » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Yeah love that IncaTrail.
And the more questions you ask, the more we can talk.! :lol:
Let us know your blog URL so we can peek at what you're up to.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby nikimarcotte » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 pm

i started after i finished uni, didn't really want a REAL job yet, so did a Student Work Abroad Program and went to australia for a year of work and travel(working holiday visa, not sure which countries all qualify for that, but allows you to work a job in australia for up to 3 months at a time to facilitate your travels)...the best part is that you only need a return flight and proof you have $5000( or at least that is what i heard most recently) and you are off. i just worked for the summer on a road crew, saved my money and took off for a year, was awesome.

then, i finally got a permanent job after 2 years of temporary work, so i hadn't gone anywhere, nor earned any actual vacation time seeing as it was all paid out. so i asked for 2 month leave of absence which was granted, and i took off on an overland of central america. i am still working that same permanent job and am allowed to take off for as long as i have vacation/banked time to use. the first few trips money was my limiting factor, but now vacation time is.

i do not own a house yet, but i keep saving, and every year i don't have enough for a house, i go on another trip :twisted: eventually there will be enough for both, but until then, i have no regrets with all my travels...especially when i do EVERYTHING i want along the way :D
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby hopeful55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:26 am

@ Incatrail and Jimshu Okay I put a link! I only wrote silly stuff though lol. Maybe I can write about my options of travelling before actaully traveling...?

@nikimarcotte that sounds awesome!!!! Seriously I wish I knew what a visa was :O LOL. Its amazing to find people who put travelling above what people "usually" do, such as settling down and what not. I'm even more suprised by those brave backpackers. How do they do it! Insane!

So here's the blog... http://jmill0773.blogspot.com/
hopeful55

Postby TravelFun » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:58 pm

hopeful55 wrote: Seriously I wish I knew what a visa was :O LOL.

To enter a certain country a visa is required which is either obtained from the country's Embassy in your homeland or at the aiport when you land. There is a cost applied for the visa which again varies depending on which country you are a citizen of and then you will get a stamp in your passport which the authorities will check. I see you're from the USA so this is your government site:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1765.html

Check out the International Travel section and the advice per country which will state the entry/exit requirements. Please do read this carefully for all the countries you plan to visit because you don't want to be turned away at the aiport!

...and as mentioned before, just ask away!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby hopeful55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Thank you Travel fun! Okay, I'll ask away, because the more I research, the more questions seem to pop up. Really, thanks guys.

Okay, I've looked at my options, and I don't think I'm going to be able to leave America soon. However, I could still travel the states, and those could be the beginning.

Have you guys heard of WWOOFing? Its where you go on a farm and do work for them, while they give you a place to sleep.
hopeful55

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:06 pm

hopeful55 wrote:Okay, I've looked at my options, and I don't think I'm going to be able to leave America soon. However, I could still travel the states, and those could be the beginning.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of people underestimate the diversity of environments and cultures they can get just within our own borders. There's a LOT to be learned without even leaving the confines of the Continental US, not to mention Alaska, Hawaii and territories. Too few people know our own history and culture before they start making grand plans and pronouncements based on European or Asian experiences (muchless the viewpoints of people who have never left the urban environments of NYC or Chicago or Boston).

Visit and compare how people do things in the Northeast versus the Southeast versus the Southwest and Midwest. Compare all of that to the Northwest and of course California and Texas probably qualify as their own special categories. Even in California, I've found the Cental Coast is quite different in culture and temperament from LA or SF.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:17 pm

hopeful55 wrote:...Athough I have a question. I searched TEFL agian, and found there are many different sites. Could there be scam sites? How do I know which one is the real one? Lol sorry, I must be asking alot here!

Find a school you are interested in and contact and ask them who recognizes their certificate and in which countries their students are working. In the US, you can check the Better Business Bureau to make sure there aren't a lot complaints against the school. The good schools have a placement program and references of past students working outside the US. You can find a job listing that is the type of job that you would like to apply for and ask if they would accept the certificate from the school you are thinking about attending. The certificate from the program I attended is recognized in the public schools in Mexico, so I could have gotten a job in the public school system.

The Cambridge program is well known. Check out this site: http://www.cactustefl.com/tefl/course.p ... se_id=1701 They have TEFL courses in lots of countries. There are lots of discussion forums about TEFL jobs too. If you think this is something you might want to do, they're a great place to get more information.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby Starbuck86 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:55 pm

A really good way to travel is to make friends who live abroad, so that way you've got your place to crash sorted and all you really need is your airfare and spending money. A good way to do it is (if you like kids and/or horses) to work at a summer camp like Camp America. You get paid, it's good on your CV and you'll meet folk from all over the world.

Good luck! :)
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby youcancallmet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:14 pm

I see this is an old post but I thought I'd add my way of paying. I live in a seasonal tourist town in the US. It's a beach town that is crazy busy in the summer and a ghost town in the winter. I'm fortunate in that I have a management job that pays me year round with a 3 month vacation around the holidays (basically the opposite schedule of a teacher). It gives me a great opportunity to travel abroad. In the US vacation time is hard to come by for most Americans which is why you meet very few of us in your travels. Many others in my town (and I've met a lot of people w/ a similar situation from similar towns in my travels) work as bartenders and servers and make lots of cash during the busy season and save it all to travel in the off-season. If you're interested in working hard and playing hard (on and off) and you have access to working in a high season tourist town, you'll meet many others with the same idea.

Once you start traveling, you'll meet people from all over the world. Stay in touch and take advantage. My first trip to Europe I met tons of Australians and went to visit them the following year. While in Australia I met and remained good friends w/ a few people from the UK...and went to visit them the following year. It's a great way to explore new cities with a locals guidance. And if you can stay in their home, a great way to save money.
youcancallmet

Postby vermontcathy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 pm

This is an old thread, but I'm new here, and browsing topics, and feel like posting. :)

I am 39, married to a musician (who doesn't make a ton of money), I have a halfway decent job, and we love to travel. It irks me when I tell people of a trip we took and they say to me something like, "I wish I could go to Italy." The people I'm talking to COULD go to Italy (I know they make about the same as me) - it's just a matter of choices:

We choose not to have smart phones. We pay less than $9/month/per phone for our basic cell phones.
We have very basic cable TV ($25/month).
We rarely eat out (maybe once a month to a sit-down restaurant). We pack our lunch. We don't buy $4 coffees every day like some people.
We have basic, fairly old cars. I take the bus to work most days (and my employer pays for the bus pass).
We just don't buy a lot of crap. We're not big into shopping, for clothes or other things. Everything I buy, I ask myself, "Do I want/need this enough that I'm willing to postpone my next big trip?" This is especially helpful as I'm considering if/when I need to replace my car.
We own a modest townhouse (condo) so home repair costs are reasonable. Sure, we'd like more space at times, but when faced with the choice "bigger house or better trips?" we choose the latter.
We don't smoke. I have no sympathy for someone who smokes and also complains about not having enough money for something. Those smokes are expensive.
We chose not to have kids. I'm not saying that people have to make this choice in order to travel, but it does help us afford to travel (also, travel certainly wasn't the primary reason we chose not to have kids).

Yes, SOME people are so broke they can't travel. But for many people who say to me "I wish...", they are actually making choices to spend their money on other things.
vermontcathy
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ll44 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am

Enter contests!!!!
ll44
User Rank: Weekender

Postby emily.layla » Thu May 16, 2013 8:08 pm

First things first, you need to get a job!

Part time is actually better if you plan to be travelling a lot because I find part time employers are more flexible with letting you take a leave of absence while you travel, so you can return home still employed.

The way I do it is I look for a trip I really want, figure out when I want to go, and calculate backwards how much money I have to save per paycheck to pay for it. Then I make an autotransfer into a seperate account for that amount each time I get paid so I don't even see the money before it's tucked away in savings. This helps you stay on track.

Saving without a goal doesn't work for me, so this might helpy you!
emily.layla

Postby leefromaus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:11 am

Get a job with G testing the tours...if only! :(
leefromaus

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tips