Places to Stay for a Solo Female Traveler in Cape Town?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Places to Stay for a Solo Female Traveler in Cape Town?

Postby mel_laughs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I decided to stay on in Cape Town for 8 days after completing my Ultimate Africa tour and was wondering about accommodation? I've looked at a bunch of hotels but alot seem to be away from the action, I wont have alot of money by that point as i'll have been gone for 2 months already but i'd like somewhere safe that I can leave or lock up my belongings without worrying about theft be it hostel or hotel I really dont care. If anyone has stayed anywhere that they can recommend please share as i'm kind of struggling with this. I've heard near the V&A or on Long Street are good choices but really it's all Greek to me at this point...

Please advise, and thanks in advance
Cheers

Mel
mel_laughs
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Places to Stay for a Solo Female Traveler in Cape Town?

Postby Zuleika » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Long Street is a party hub - but you may not get much sleep as it is noisy, but OK if you want to be in the midst.
A few years ago I stayed at a decent hostel (as hostels go) called the Sunflower Stop which is a little out of the centre but still only 15 mins walk from the V&A which is a big wharf and shopping mall, eating,bars etc.
The hostel felt very safe, it was very sociable and the staff were very helpful. It has a pool and a nice bar area so you can meet other hostellers. Its walled in, so despite being on a main road it feels like a little (safe) oasis once you've gone through the door in the wall.

You can read what others have to say about it here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=sun ... __2E__html

I think this Q might have been asked before so have a little search around the forum.
Of note - you SHOULD NOT walk around by yourself after dark ever - always take a taxi, it is quite cheap. And even during the day stick to the main routes, dont shortcut up any side roads etc.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby mel_laughs » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks so much Zuleika, The Sunflower is actually the very first one I looked at awhile back.
I've heard that the ones on Long Street can be very loud, and i'd like to be at least somewha close but still be able to enjoy a bed after being in a tent for 55 days..lol
Have you heard of The Backpack & Africa Travel Company? I think I might go with that one as they arrange for some volunteering and community projects as well. Plus alot of their reviews are from single female travelers.

One a side note, how do you put your trip countdown on the bottom of your post like that?
mel_laughs

Postby Zuleika » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:20 pm

I haven't stayed at that one - but it has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor so looks a very safe bet and is a bit closer to town which is what you were after, go for it!

For the countdown ticker:
http://www.gapadventures.com/widgets/ticker/
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby bruceontour » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:58 am

The Backpack & Africa Travel Company
I stayed there twice last year after my 2 month African overland trip and a week travelling along the garden route. While I am not a solo female traveller, it was certainly clean, safe and within walking distance of the Long St action plus down to the CBD and V&A waterfront. There on-site travel centre staff will also provided invaluable assistance in filling in your time. Enjoy Capetown and its surrounds. If they are full, they worked in with another near by back packers.
bruceontour
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Travel Tips