Malaria Q&A from Wanderlust Magazine

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Malaria Q&A from Wanderlust Magazine

Postby ballu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Since we often get questions about Malaria medication at The Wateringhole, I thought this link to Wanderlust Magazine might be helpful...

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/ar ... travellers

I would still recommend contacting a medical professional to find out what is best for you regarding medications while travelling.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Re: Malaria Q&A from Wanderlust Magazine

Postby Zuleika » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Brilliant Ballu. Particularly surrounding larium which I swear by and have taken umpteen times now with no ill effects:

The doc writes:
'Can Lariam make you mad?'
'Tales made the press in a big way and have done a lot to undermine the good that this preparation does since, if it suits you, it is effective; personally, it is my favourite antimalarial. It also happens to give the best protection against the dangerous forms of malaria – the sort that can kill within 24 hours of the first symptom'

And especially as pretty much all the other malarials have side effects as well anyway, from sunburn to queasiness, to making birthcontrol pills less effective. etc etc
Malarone has less side effects, but still nausea, mouth ulcers and a big hole in the wallet(!!) 'BUT is less effective particularly in Africa'.

I know I'll keep taking larium to give me the best chance. But I reckon others should give it a try, like the doc says, try before you go and switch if not suitable is easy enough - and dont get caught up in all the hysterical hype - it might just save your life!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Reditor » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Interesting read.
I always take Malarone and have never taken Lariam. Didn't know it is considered less effective in Africa. Good to know for next time I go there....
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor

Postby jimshu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Yep, I think because each is more effective to a specific strain of Malaria, and some regions have different strains so you need to check with your travel med professional and have the drug prescribed that is best for where you are travelling.
making birthcontrol pills less effective

Now that's a problem for some of you? :shock:
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby desiree2 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:42 am

Hi
The last time I took anti-malarials was in 1992 because I had such bad side effects. Earlier this year I booked a trip to Borneo which included jungle trekking and my GP prescribed Doxycycline which I started to take 1 week before I was due to fly out, figuring that if I had any side effects I'd stop taking them. I had no side effects whatsoever, and I also think I had the added bonus of not getting any tummy upsets during my 5 1/2 weeks in SE Asia because of its antibiotic properties.
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Return to Travel Tips