South & Central America, travelling alone -tips?

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

South & Central America, travelling alone -tips?

Postby charlotte1604 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:58 am

Hi,
I am really excited to have discovered the trips on offer here! I have been planning to travel for quite some time but at the moment it is just so tedious trying to save up enough money.
I have seriously planned out (but not booked) to do the 62 day South America trip, Brazil to Quito, in Novemeber through to January, and then hopefully go to the Golapagos and then on to do a National Parks trip in Costa Rica and Volcano Trek through Central America.
All in all, it will be five months I am away and I will be travelling alone, however, this isn't really a problem as I like to be independant! I am a 19 year old female. I have a whole bunch of questions!

What is the average age of a person on a Gap Adventures trips?
Has anyone done any of the trips above? Were they worth it?
What would you describe as the essentials for 5 months?
Also, I am having a few weeks spare in Quito and I am connecting from trip to trip- has anyone else done this? Is it easy enough? I am imagining I just need to make my way to the allocated hotel.

Any other tips are much appreciated!
Thanks for reading this :D
charlotte1604
User Rank: Weekender

Re: South & Central America, travelling alone -tips?

Postby maryamal » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:30 am

Sounds like an amazing trip! Wish I could have travelled like that at your age! You can't go wrong with the Galapagos. There are many things to do from Quito - the "Mitad del mundo", otavalo, cayambo, mindo cloud forest, hot springs, volcanos. Just take cabs at night in the city. And you really won't be alone if you're travelling with GAP.
maryamal
User Rank: Nomad

Postby charlotte1604 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks Maryamal... I really can't wait!
The only trouble is the cost and especially to the Golapagos but I am sure I HAVE to do it!
charlotte1604

Postby maryamal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:23 pm

The Gallapagos are more than worth the expense if you can pull it off. There is nowhere in the world like them. I believe everyone should see them. You won't regret it!
maryamal

Postby TravelFun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:25 pm

What a trip you're planning...really do get the Galapagos in and you won't regret it all !

charlotte1604 wrote:Has anyone done any of the trips above? Were they worth it?

I haven't done these specific trips but I have travelled quite a bit across South America and did take a break for 4 months too...it's definitely worth it so save save save and then make that plan happen.

charlotte1604 wrote:What would you describe as the essentials for 5 months?

Learn basic Spanish if you can...it will really help you and especially when you will be inbetween trips.

charlotte1604 wrote:Also, I am having a few weeks spare in Quito and I am connecting from trip to trip- has anyone else done this? Is it easy enough? I am imagining I just need to make my way to the allocated hotel.

All Gap Adventures tours start at a specified accomodation so make sure you're there on the day, which is Day 1 of the itinerary. There will be a meet-up on the day (most likely in the evening) which will be displayed on a notice board in reception. This is pretty straight forward and you shouldn't face any problems with this but do check your emails a few days before (if you can) just in case there may be some last minute changes.

Just the preparation and planning is soooooo exciting....and wait until you get there!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to Travel Tips