Indochina Discovery - Vaccination Advice

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indochina Discovery - Vaccination Advice

Postby ryan_ventures » Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi all,
I'm heading on my first Gap Adventures trip and would like your perspective on vaccinations.

I'm getting a mix of recommendations on what vaccinations I'll need from friends, family and medical practitioners.

I'm usually the type who would like to avoid medicines in general as much as possible but I want to take proper precautions before going out on a trip like this.

My Travel Doctor said on the high end I could be looking at taking the following:

Mefloquine - Malaria
Twinrix - Hepatitis A & B
Typherix - Typhoid
Imovax - Rabies
Ixiaro - Japanese B Encephalitis
Dukoral - Diarrhea / Cholera

If I took all of these it would cost $1500 canadian, all inclusive! :shock:

I also heard that you only need most of these if you're going into the undeveloped areas like the jungle.

So, does anyone who has travelled to these areas or has gone on this particular trip know what is a must to take vs. what I can live without?

I heard this trip is mostly through developed areas.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
R
ryan_ventures
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Indochina Discovery - Vaccination Advice

Postby SueLavery » Fri May 28, 2010 8:57 am

I would go for the twinrix is't good to have and with some of the possibilities of food poisoning in our own Country can't hurt. Also be uptodate on your tetanus. Also Malarone for malaria (it's expensive but no side effects). I've taken Dukoral on all my trips and have never been sick. Dr. advised that rabies is all over the world. Shots expensive - not worth it. Just don't be playing around with cute animals and you'd be okay. I had typhoid shot but don't really think its necessary. Pepto Bismol works great for any little stomach ailments. Also hope your DR. advised on Cipro antibiotic. I have been advised that there is no expiry date on this stuff so you can take it with you on future trips if you don't use it. Mine is 5 years old and Dr. says still fine.
SueLavery
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Indochina Discovery - Vaccination Advice

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri May 28, 2010 10:51 am

For me, the typhoid shot was worth it. It comes from fecal contaminated water or from food handlers who have recovered from typhoid but are still carriers. You can get it in your own country. My sister got it in Mexico. The World Health Organization (http://www.who.int) says:
Distribution: Typhoid and paratyphoid fevers are common in less-industrialized countries, principally owing to the problem of unsafe drinking-water, inadequate sewage disposal and flooding.

Scope of the Problem: The annual incidence of typhoid is estimated to be about 17 million cases worldwide.

and
A vaccine is available, although it is not routinely recommended except for those who will have prolonged exposure to potentially contaminated food and water in high-risk areas. The vaccine does not provide full protection from infection.

Personally, I would want the vaccine for Indochina travel.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Return to Travel Tips