Traveling Together

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Traveling Together

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 am

In the thread on annoying travelers, one person told how a married couple on their trip did not mix with the group and sat alone at a separate table for meals, never inviting others to join them. There are lots of discussions about traveling alone here at the Watering Hole but none about traveling together with friends or a spouse. While it´s great to share the adventure with people you already know and care about, the danger is shutting out not only your fellow travelers but also the local people and experience itself. What do you do when you travel with friends or family members to keep it real?
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Re: Traveling Together

Postby jmclatchie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 am

My husband and I have been together since 1992. We travel together and we relish sitting at a big table with everyone else!
Sometimes a group will split for a day activity: half goes horseback riding and half goes to a cooking class. We'll deliberately go to different activities. We get more time interacting with other travellers and they get to know us as individuals. Then, when the group reunites in the evening, we feel like part of the group instead of 'the couple.'
This method works for us and we've had positive feedback from other travellers.
I have seen honeymooners on a GAP trip and they were so into each other that it was gross. I mean, "get a room!" They should have just gone to an all-inclusive beachside resort.
"The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page."
-St. Augustine
jmclatchie
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jimshu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Oh the days of being like those honeymooners...where are they now?
We married way back, saved up went on our overseas experience, came back, and kept travelling somehow or other.Even while the kids were in nappies.Nowadays, it's back to the two of us.And when travelling, yes there will be the times when we do things together, or with others of similar age, or relationship.
But there are also times when we are off separately at activities,because we have separate interests.Either of us will kick in with others of the group.And we'll sit on the group table rather than by ourselves.Can't remember any time when we have chosen to separate from the group at meals.
I would also say that many of our friends we've met on tours, we still keep in touch with and they'll stay over with us as they visit NZ.
There was a couple Teri And Cheri on our 2008 DAFD tour we sadly lost contact with because their emails to us have an incorrect return address and so ours kept getting returned.
But ours is a mix and match style I guess you'd say.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

jmclatchie wrote:...
Sometimes a group will split for a day activity: half goes horseback riding and half goes to a cooking class. We'll deliberately go to different activities. We get more time interacting with other travellers and they get to know us as individuals. Then, when the group reunites in the evening, we feel like part of the group instead of 'the couple.'
This method works for us and we've had positive feedback from other travellers.

What a great idea. It's also fun to have your own experiences to share with each other, I'm sure! I'm suggesting this to my guy next trip!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby owena » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:24 pm

We have been married for 35 years and always travel together especially as we didn't have the opportunities to do so when we were younger - there is so much to see and do in the world. However, we always join in with groups when we travel with one. I am fascinated to hear about where other people come from and the experiences that they have had and it is great to share the current experience with people who might have different perspectives. Having said all that we do like some quiet time on our own every now and then but choose trips that we do just for us and not as part of a group. Best of both worlds
owena
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Travel Tips